dressing for an interview...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tired.mom, Jul 23, 2014.

1. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 23, 2014

I mentioned in my earlier post that I was dressed what I also thought of as professional--plain black dress with summer-y jacket (it's 100 degrees!), hose and black heels. The other person interviewing (who looked nice, btw, but maybe too casual) was in a lightweight casual dress and strapless flat sandals. I wonder--did I overdress? Or is it still best to "dress for success," as we used to say? But I also wonder if a dress and heels screams "old lady" and uptight. FWIW, people here are very casual, but I still think an interview is an interview and to dress accordiningly.

Pantyhose are horrible inventions! But I am also in my 40s, and that was/is part of what I was brought up to believe was part of business/interview attire. Thoughts?

3. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 23, 2014

you are right. i think sandals are gross in any jobs; cant show both toe or heel. plus flats are gross IMO; i never wear them except my flip flops 24/7 in my personal life. hose are correct, i am young and think that. I see people my age in shorter skirts with bare legs and I dont like it. Dress with blazer is good. As much as I dont like it, I firmly feel traditional talbots style suit is way to go with good pump. I was told by my certf. program in an interview, it is the best you look and act, everything is downhill.

4. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 23, 2014

if you are worried about old lady uptight vibe, get navy suit with magenta sateen or silk blouse. that is vibrant.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

I don't think it is possible to over dress for a job interview. You should always strive to be the best dressed. I bet she is freaking out that she was under dressed. And she was.

6. blauren

blauren Rookie

Jul 23, 2014

It's always better to dress for success. You look more professional and like you take your job seriously. Some schools I've been at have dress codes where you can't even wear sandals. Always better to be overdressed than underdressed.

7. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 23, 2014

I appreciate all your input...I at least feel like I am on the right page of the wardrobe book. :D I always worry--I live in Texas, and my area is know for being super casual, so that it looks almost odd to see a person dressed professionally. Teachers here wear flipflops, sandals, cargo capris--and I'm fine with that, but I do feel one should dress for interviews. I think the problem is that I just second-guess everything.

8. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

Whatever you wear, wear it with confidence and a positive attitude. That is what they will notice the most!

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 23, 2014

In my area you could definitely ditch the pantyhose. I haven't worn them over the age of 18, and I would patently refuse to now! I usually wore pants suits or a dress with a cardi. I wore dressy, high heeled sandals on a few occasions. Maybe I didn't get a second interview because of them. Who knows? All I do know is I got hired wearing them at what turned out to be my dream job :) I also think flats are fine. I had a severe case of plantar fasciitis this year. Good flats and tennis shoes were the only things I could wear for awhile.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2014

I don't wear hose, but make sure my legs are creamed up (no dry ashy skin or feet...eeew!).
    I do think it best to go polished and professional...pops of color are good. (doesn't have to be magenta or 'sateen';))...not sure what is 'gross' about a classic pair of flats. :confused:

Stop thinking about the other candidate. You be you. Your described attire sounds fine.:2cents:

11. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

I think what you wore sounds fine. I was told that for an interview you should dress one level higher (or more formal) than you would for a day on the job... but I have never heard anyone say flats are gross, I wear them all the time! :unsure:

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 23, 2014

I will say again that interview dress is definitely a regional thing. In my area, dressing in a suit would look very odd. A nice dress and sandals would be a perfectly acceptable choice for a female candidate. There are no prohibitions against sandals. It would be rare to see a candidate wear pantyhose during the summer. In fact, I think that the last time I wore any was when my sister got married two years ago!

13. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 23, 2014

I may ditch the hosiery for the next interview I may or may not get. I also don't have a problem with flats--especially for when working in a school because I always walked sooooo much. I may change things up for the next interview and see what happens--but still dress nicely.

Even if I was overdressed, my hope is that it just seemed as though I took the interview seriously. I am also just getting paranoid because school starts in a month, and I was hoping for a real school job rather than relying on part-time counseling in a private practice. :dizzy:

14. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jul 23, 2014

Dress for the job you want. What would you wear if you could dress up for the job? I teach special ed and have only worn my 'interview" jacket for graduation and open house.

Whatever you wear let it enhance who you are, not detract from your talent and ability.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2014

I agree with this! :thumb: We have had some teacher candidates come in to interview sooooo dressed out of their normal attire that when they showed up for work, we weren't sure WHO they were!!! :lol:

16. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 25, 2014

I would definitely ditch the pantyhose, especially in the summer! But otherwise your outfit sounds fine! Maybe you could incorporate a pop of color somewhere?

One of my friends previously did not get a job because the P thought she looked "too corporate" - everything she wore was black/white. While I think his reasoning is totally ridiculous, just make sure a little of your personality shows through! :)

17. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 25, 2014

i still firmly believe in navy or taupe suit and colorful blouse in either pastel or jewel tone with conservative pumps or heeled oxfords. I like pants with blazer rather than skirt because of the hose dilemma, i personally think it is too informal to show bare legs at an interview. If you wear a colorful blouse with a nice texture such as silk or satin or small pattern, then it is playful and gets rid of corporate look. Pair with oxblood or burgundy shoes for another pop of color that ties it together. my grandma worked at Saks 5th for 20+ yrs, so this influences greatly my style as I grew up looking at Maxmara and chanel lookbooks.

18. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 25, 2014

If I were a P then I would want someone to dress for an interview, not for the job. Because, all resources and career services say suit, which means the applicant did his/her research and I would hope they research/consult/google things before they teach it or plan lessons. My teacher prep program said suit, nothing else. make it your own by the shoes and blouse.

tablots is 50% off now. Boden is another place that has good suits.

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

Abat, where are you at? When I interviewed in Kentucky I only saw one other candidate wearing a full suit. Ohio I saw more suits but it was still a mix. I know some areas of the country are definitely suits only and other areas would find it very strange if you showed up in a suit.

I myself prefer a more laid back style.

20. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 25, 2014

I did my program in PA. I interviewed in the south. Even if no one else wears a suit; that is even more reason to wear one. I interviewed out of state so if I detoured from what they generally see it was "okay" because I was out of state. But, I think you are expected to dress for an interview not for the job. It shows you care. Plus it is harder to match separates that arent suits. If we hope to get the respect that doctors, lawyers, or hell pharmaceutical sales reps have, then suit for an interview is key. I don't agree with the way things are, I am the most slubby casual person alive.

21. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 25, 2014

This is just a side note: but my yr. long experience at my intern ship site, the teachers in my dept (social studies) who were all men except for 1 long term sub...the "better" (which is just my judgement) teachers wore collared button up and ties every day. The other male teachers wore stuff that it looks like you would paint your house in.

22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2014

When I've been on interview committees in the summer, we didn't necessarily dress in school clothes but we did expect the candidates to show up dressed for an interview.

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

We will have to simply agree to disagree then on that note. I see nothing wrong with a dress and a cardi. I've been through two interview seasons recently and found jobs in Ohio both times.

I also disagree with what you seem to be implying about good teachers. I've known many excellent teachers and they wore a great variety of clothes. I've seen everything from jeans and a t-shirt to shirts and ties. Dressing up doesn't necessarily make someone a good teacher. Dressing professionally CAN help with management. Personally I've never noticed from days I wear jeans to days I wear skirts. My kids act the same.

24. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 25, 2014

Hmmm. I've never worn a suit, just my nicest casual clothes. Perhaps why I had so many interviews and so few offers. I think this actually ended up working in my favor, because I would not thrive working in an environment where such an important decision was largely influenced by such a superficial quality.

25. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 25, 2014

That was just me judgment of that particular school and department, I agree that I don't think it is a universal rule. Now working at another school just highlights some of things I didn't like about my site. Everyone I met seems really dedicated and happy to be there, not rushing around running outside to smoke. Actually teachers would smoke in the teacher bathrooms. Sorry to rant. But for me, I need to dress up for management reasons because I am so un-typeA.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 25, 2014

We were talking near the end of the school year about how people used to smoke in the lounge and walking by it would be like walking through a haze. No one smokes in my building right now, and I'm very happy about that.

27. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 25, 2014

I don't think I would wear a suit. When I have been on interviews, the only candidates I have seen wearing a suit are the men.

I have two very nice dresses from Dress Barn that I wear on interviews. Everything is covered up, and they look very professional. My mom has worked in HR for 35+ years and conducts all of the interviews for her department. She helped me pick out the dresses. One is navy and one is a purple/gray/teal print.

I also wear Spanx on interviews because they force me to have good posture LOL

Wear something you will feel comfortable and confident in.