Dress up lesson plans

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MuckeyBusiness, Nov 22, 2013.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Nov 22, 2013

My kids love playing with the dress up clothes in our classroom. We create our lesson plan based off their interests and i was wondering if anyone has ever done a dress up theme for a lesson plan and if so how did you do it?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2013

What do they enjoy dressing up as? Maybe try focusing on community helpers (or whatever else they enjoy dressing up as) and allowing them to dress up and take on different roles or activities.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Nov 22, 2013

Community helpers is a great idea. You could also have exploratory units on buttons and strings/ropes, and have clothing for these respective items. That way they would be practicing life skills of tying and buttoning as well.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2013

You could also go multi-cultural - what do other people wear - but it would be harder. Occupations and life skills would be easier. Maybe incorporate some classic books that they kids could dress up as, and do a little play or retelling?

You can explore different fabrics with their senses.
    Count and sort different sizes and shaped buttons.
    Do some sewing and lacing. Embroidery plastic and some types of shelf liners that have holes are great with blunt needles.
    You could dye fabrics.
    I have a quilting class and weavers in my building so we visit them, but you may be able to get someone to come from a local guild.
    Yarn - there would be a million things to do. I think it would be fun to deconstruct an old sweater so the kids can pull the yarn out.

You got me on a roll. I better stop.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 23, 2013

You could do a Phoebe Gilman author study and read the "Jillian Jiggs" books.

7. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Nov 23, 2013

you can let them play with yarn-- cutting little snips, trying to tie and wind it (to upside-down table legs), push it through the spaces in a laundry basket for a simple weaving-esque project.

A really great thing to have right now to play with would be gloves and mittens. I feel exhausted getting ready to go outside everyday. I know it's the right thing to do, but firmly encouraging everyone to try putting on their own gloves/mittens is tiring.

8. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Nov 27, 2013

thank you for your responses!

9. fergus85

fergus85 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013

Do they have an interest in how they clothes/accessories are made? They could create their own clothing/accessories from various materials (paper bags, fabric, yarn etc.) and use that in dress up.

10. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 30, 2013

I wouldn't do multicultural--I would consider that to be cultural appropriation.