Dress Up Days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Oct 28, 2019.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 28, 2019

We are having dress up days this week for Red Ribbon Week. I don't participate in all of them, though, and usually get flak. The two I don't do are crazy hair day and pajama day.

Do you all participate in theme/dress up days?

ecteach likes this.
  3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 28, 2019

It depends on the day. I'm doing Wednesday this week. It's animal print day.

Sometimes I don't dress up, if it would take too much time or money to create.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 28, 2019

I confess I do enjoy dressing up.

I'm rather jealous of my daughter's school this week. Today was Dinosaur Day (the school mascot is a Raptor). Tomorrow is Ancestor Day.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 28, 2019

I did one year, we had a great admin and the themes were awesome. If we had it this year, I wouldn't do it.
    It was one week and we had pajama day, camoflage day (as a hunter, I had a lot of outfits to choose from lol), country day (I borrowed a cowboy had, cowboy boots, worse jeans and a pretty blouse, it was fun), we had 2 more that I don't remember,but it was fun.

I wouldn't do crazy hair day.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2019

It completely depends on how I'm feeling. We have a Spirit Week with themed dress- up days later in the year; this week it's Halloween costumes or school colours on Thursday. The one day I have never done, and likely never will, is "Disney Day" as it's just too expensive to get what I would need. My favourite--Jersey Day.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 28, 2019

I rarely participate in dress-up spirit days. I usually only do the ones where you where a school shirt and jeans... but I do that anytime it is allowed, not only during dress-up days. I might do pajama day on occasion or maybe a favorite team sport t-shirt day, but I don't do the ones that require actual planning or effort. If I don't already have it, and it's not easy to throw on, then I don't do it.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 28, 2019

We are pretty much expected to. Our Red Ribbon week was last week, which was also Parent-Teacher Conference week, so most teachers toned it down this year. I’m not a fan of dressing up in general, so I dread these weeks.

9. JimG

JimG Comrade

Oct 28, 2019

There was one year that I dressed as a Christmas tree on the last day of school in December. We are talking a green sweater with both tinsel and battery operated lights pinned on.

I’ve also let the art teacher paint my face like a zombie for Halloween.

Both situations described above were at a very small school where the staff all fit in one normal classroom, and we had hallway competitions between the teachers on dress up days. I miss the small-school family atmosphere but not the small-school salary.

catnfiddle likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 29, 2019

Nope. I just do the days where we have to wear a certain color shirt or school shirt. I don't have time to worry about anything else. We have sport day and things like that but I'm not a fan.

11. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 29, 2019

I try to as much as possible. We're doing our red ribbon week this week. Monday we did pj's, today is favorite sports teams (of course I'm sporting some Red Sox gear), tomorrow is "birds of a feather" which is basically represent your favorite bird (I'm going with an eagle t-shirt), Thursday is Halloween costumes (I'm going as a vampire), and lastly Friday is wild card casual Fridays.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2019

I always encouraged my students to dress up and join in as much as possible. I, on the other hand, rarely participated. I am not one for dressing up much more than my regular clothes.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 29, 2019

I loved PJ day. Current P got rid of it :rolleyes:. I will do it if it's something I can do without buying stuff. I'll even go as far as trying to borrow things. I draw the line at having to buy something silly I'm going to wear one time.

Funny story about that- one year I borrowed a t shirt for "sports day" as I couldn't care less about sports. It ended up being for our pro football team. That same day, I had an appointment at the vet's office. My cat had some health issues, so I'm very familiar with all the techs and such. That day, one of them said she had a surprise for me and made a big show of parading me out to the front desk. Apparently the quarterback was there with his dog. I couldn't have picked him out of a line up or told you what his name was if my life depended on it :toofunny:. She said, "But you're wearing the shirt!"

ready2learn likes this.
  14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 29, 2019

Some years I do, and some years I don’t.

It depends on the themes and what kind of year I’m having. Some years have things I can easily do and kids that can handle things. Other years I don’t have time or energy to plan and kids who suck the fun out of everything.

DH’s school doesn’t do Red Ribbon Week activities. He’s lucky.

15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 29, 2019

Today my daughter had ancestor day. I sent my husband to the local thrift shop to look for anything to complete a cowgirl ensemble (Husband comes from a long line of ranchers and actually abdicated the family ranch). He returns with a long gown and blue make-up.

Our daughter was Grandma Boudicca, complete with Celtic battle paint.

I could get behind that theme.

16. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Oct 30, 2019

The staff at my school totally goes full force during themed days / spirit week - Whether is be pajama day, twin day, crazy hair day, sports day ... or even Halloween ( which has been heavily stressed by our admin to dress in our Halloween finest )

Backroads likes this.
  17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 30, 2019

Tomorrow I’m wearing one of DH’s staff shirts and one of his old ID badges. Quick. Easy.

Backroads likes this.
  18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2019

Have my "Spider Queen" costume all set, although I'll likely change into all black for the afternoon. The kids have a dance in the gym all afternoon and it will be too hot in there for my costume.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  19. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Oct 31, 2019

If I can wear a sports jersey or T-shirt yes..., going all out in a costume or something I wouldn't normally wear in public (pajamas) NO WAY!

I didn't when I was in school, I won' t now that I'm an adult.

As I tell my current high school students, professional adults dress like professional adults.

Tired Teacher, bella84 and Backroads like this.
  20. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Oct 31, 2019

LOTS of NATS outfits at my school today! ( staff and students ). :heart::blueheart:
    I love seeing all the creative costumes the students come up with. Unfortunately here tonight they are calling for severe weather during trick or treat time.

21. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 31, 2019

We are in the middle of a cold snap, so I'm not sure what the trick-or-treating will look like. Fortunately, my grandmother's retirement facility goes all out with old folks looking to give out candy, so at least my kids will have candy.

Though I am a big fan of traditional trick-or-treating.

Tired Teacher and Michelle like this.
  22. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 2, 2019

I can't even fathom wearing my nightgown/PJ's to work. If it was like a day to wear red or a school t-shirt day, I'd wear the color or t-shirt.
    I have bad associations w/ PJ's in school. There were a few yrs when kids thought it was cool to wear PJ's to class. A couple of parents ( if you could call them that) let their kids come to class daily in PJ's.
    1 told me that he couldn't get his young daughter to get dressed in the mornings. That was unfathomable to me too. If my parents told me to get dressed, I'd have never thought to argue with them. If I had, I would not have won either!