Dress to Impress During the First Week?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ms.S60074, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Ms.S60074

Ms.S60074 Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

So school starts for me next Monday. No kids until the following week as this is a full week of meetings. The first two days will be new teacher orientation days. The last three will be district and school meetings. I have only met the principal and assistant principal at the school I"m teaching at. I"m concerned about what I should wear this first week. I don't want to look like a bum, but I don't want to look like I tried to hard to impress everyone and stand out like an ugly duckling. Any thoughts on this? I know how to handle the following week when the kids come in, but not when it's just the adults!
    Nicole:rolleyes:

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

When I went for teacher orientation, I wore khaki capri's and a nice shirt... we had people in everything from jeans to nice skirts. Our work days were jeans/shorts (building didn't have A/C)

4. JessCentral28

JessCentral28 Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

I agree with clarnet- Khaki's and a nice top, or a long skirt and top if you are a skirt person. I wouldn't worry about it on work days though!

5. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Aug 10, 2006

On our work days I wear capris. We also do not have A/C so while I can still dress down I try to take advantage. When we go to our district meeting I typically try and wear something that I would wear once the students arrive.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2006

We all dress very comfortably and relaxed on teacher work days. Anything goes, actually.

7. Ms.S60074

Ms.S60074 Rookie

Aug 10, 2006

Thanks! I'm deciding now between black gaucho pants and a nice top or khakis. Thanks again for all your advice, I actually considered wearing black pants and a dress shirt (way overboard).

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2006

I wore nice jean capris the first day, and kind of felt underdressed (but wasn't). You will be fine whatever you wear. I would rather be comfy since we have to sit and listen so much during the meetings!

9. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Aug 10, 2006

I have the orientation week next week. I am wearing black gaucho pants and a BSU t-shirt. I met some of the staff at a recent retreat. A teacher that was new last year suggested that outfit for me.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2006

For work in your room days, whatever goes. Shorts, gym shoes, whatever. If you're leaving the school to attend a meeting, dress "business casual:" khakis, capris, shirts with sleeves (no tanks), sandals or flats.
    Kim

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2006

We have a similar dress style the first week for teachers-casual.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2006

Our first week back (before kids) is spent setting up rooms, organizing, ec. We dress very comfortably--whatever you don't mind getting dirty!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2006

Our first day is meetings and yearbook pictures! So we all tend to dress up that day.

For the rest of that week-- freshman and grades 6,7,8 orientation-- I'm planning on a long skirt and a T shirt with pumps. Then again, that's pretty much what I wear if I'm not in a suit!

14. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

This is a great thread. I just found out that our district orientation is in 2 weeks. I plan on doing khaki's with a nice polo shirt. My teacher that I will be working with already told me that they are pretty much khaki wearers, so we will get along great. I have some nice dresses that are not formal, and I will wear them if there is something important.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2006

I wore jeans/khakis/capris and nice shirts on those days. Besides that, during the year, I always dress to look professional, despite parent/teacher conferences and other contact days, like some people mention.