Dress help

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lilmisses1014, Oct 23, 2009.

1. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 23, 2009

Another fashion thread!!! YAYYYYY!!!

I am wearing this dress to my husband's 10-year HS reunion:
    [​IMG]

It looks much better on me and in person than it does on the model. I'm trying to figure out what shoes to wear with this dress. Do I wear red shoes to match the dress? Black? Also, would it be appropriate to wear sheer hose? I don't want to wear strappy sandals (I am not at all a fan of hose with strappy, open-toe sandals anyway), but would it look too bad with peep-toe shoes? I saw a really cute pair at DSW today. Here's the thing: the reunion is at the end of November, up north, and it's going to be cold (especially to this southerner). There may very well be snow and/or ice on the ground. My legs are white white white (I put Casper to shame). I'm normally not the biggest fan of hose, but I need a little help.

I thought about wearing the shoes I wore for my wedding. I had them tinted ivory to match my gown and the cobbler said I could have them tinted again to a different color (which is why I went with tinting them instead of dying them)... maybe the same shade of red to match my dress? Here are a couple of pictures of my shoes:
    [​IMG]
    (from the front)

[​IMG]

Would those work?

To recap:
    1) What color would go best-- red or black or another color?
    2) Are SHEER hose acceptable in super-cold temps with peep-toe shoes, or should I just stick with something close-toed?
    3) Will my wedding shoes work? Remember, I'm going to have them tinted.
    4) What suggestions/ideas do any of you have? I want a heel, nothing higher than 3 inches, with 2 inches being about my ideal height.

Thanks in advance!!!!

P.S. What should I do for eye shadow and lipstick colors?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2009

Okay, for shoes, I wouldn't go for red. I think it might be too much. Panty hose would be nice since it's cold. I don't really know if it's okay for peep toe shoes though. I've always wondered about that....

FOr makeup, either go crazy on the eye shadow (I'm thinking the smoldering black look) and keep lips simple, or pick a deep red color for lips and keep eye shadow simple.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 23, 2009

Black shoes. It's too late in the season for white, and red would look cheesy. I'd do sheer hose with it. I have similar white legs problem.

What accessories are you doing? Jewelry? Hairstyle?

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 23, 2009

I agree with MissCelia - black shoes and sheer hose.

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 23, 2009

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2009

I will second or third or fourth - no red. Black would be better.

You are better off matching your make up to your features than your clothes. Do some dramatic smoky eyes if it is an evening affair, in a brown or gray palette, whichever is better on you.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 23, 2009

I would do a neutral shoe.

9. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 23, 2009

Wow-- thanks for all the responses!! :D I knew I was asking the right people!

I was wondering a little bit about the red shoes after I pulled the dress out... you're all definitely right about the matchy-matchy thing. Yick...

MissCelia: I definitely would not wear white or ivory with that dress. :) I was just going to wear my hair down and straight. I haven't even thought about accessories yet.

Peachy: Thanks! That's why I was asking others about sheer panty hose and peep toe shoes; I don't want to be a fashion nightmare, but I also don't want to offend people with my whiter-than-Casper legs! :p I love clothes and fashion, but when it comes to dressing up I am so lost! With my make-up, I'm more likely to do something dramatic with my eyes and go simple on the lips. I have nice eyes that I can really play up.

Canadian Gal: Thanks for making me feel better about the sheer panty hose. :)

Erin: Metallic? Hmmmm... I'll have to check that out. I never thought of that.

Silver: With my coloring, a brown palette would look better, but would that still look okay if I ended up wearing black shoes?

Woo-hoo! Thanks again, everyone!! :D

ETA: Thanks, Ima. We cross-posted! I'll keep that in mind as well as you're the second person to mention that.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2009

No, no, NO to red shoes. Reds are nearly impossible to match and it would end up looking cheap.

I would go with black tights and peep toe shoes (tights + peep toe boots/shoes have been a trend) or black hose and black shoes. I wouldn't wear anything other than semi-opaque to opaque tights with peep toe shoes, but the opacity of the tights should depend on the dress fabric--flimsy fabric will look better with sheerer tights/hose.

It is a cute dress.

For makeup, I would avoid reds. Again, reds are hard to match and it is easy to overdo red. I would actually go with one of this season's deep reddish-browns. They are fairly neutral and you can find one to match most skin tones. I just got one from the new Chanel collection, with a matching gloss and nail polish. I wore it with a red cardigan over a black cami the other day and it worked really well--bringing out the red, but not competing with it at all.

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2009

Unless your makeup is over the top dramatic, any palette you use should go with almost anything you wear. Don't match your mascara to your shoes! :lol:

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2009

Wow...va-va-voom-

The neutral shoes are perfect. No hose.

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Oct 23, 2009

Thanks! :) Do you think black tights or hose would look right with the dress? I ask because I've never tried that look before. The material is silk, btw.

I don't wear any any red makeup simply because I don't know how to pull it off and would very likely end up looking like a clown. :p (My current makeup is perfect for my everyday look, though. Again, it's the whole "dressing up" and being a little more formal and daring that leaves me :confused:.) I may have to check out the deep reddish-brown colors you saw at Chanel, though.

cza, I was hoping you'd respond. I aspire to have a shoe collection like yours when I grow up! :wub:

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2009

I have no fashion advise but it is a very cute dress. Have fun - you will be a belle of the ball.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2009

I don't like the idea of the black hose (definitely not tights) with this dress. With the 'bare' top, I think you should keep the neutral palette 'base' going and let the dress (and your beauty) shine!

PS- I'm going to my *0th high school reunion tomorrow night- sexy sleeveless black dress, no hose, great black peep toe shoes.

Have fun!!

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2009

My 10th reunion was in the local fire hall so there could be beer. Sounds like yours will be better. You'll look awesome!

17. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Oct 24, 2009

They actually make "toeless" panty hose for wearing with peeptoe heels. I think they look better than having the pantyhose over your toes. Plus you can paint your toenails red to match the dress and it would be very cute. :wub:

Toeless Hose at Dillards

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 24, 2009

I agree with czacza about a neutral shoe with bare legs. I think that a nude shoe is something everyone should have. If you can't find one that is totally neutral I could see a metallic strappy shoe.

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 24, 2009