Dress codes or free spirits

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach4real, Oct 13, 2014.

1. teach4real

teach4real Rookie

Oct 13, 2014

I was having a conversation with a colleague at my high school the other day. My school has a very liberal dress code and no uniforms. The code was changed a couple years ago so that now shorts must just "cover the cheeks". The girls really wear short shorts and the boys also sometimes come in with their pants around their thighs.

My colleague and I have both noticed that girls especially are ignoring the dress code and wearing inappropriate clothing. My colleague is a man and I am a woman. I say we should do what we are supposed to do and ask them to go the office when we see they are dressed improperly for a learning environment. My colleague says that girls are free spirits and should not be told what to wear. He also says male teachers get in trouble for sending female students to the office because it means they were looking at the female student.

I would love to know what other teachers think. Do you think a student should adhere to the dress code? Do you think there should even be one and should a male teacher have the same responsibility to send a female student to the office as a female teacher?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 13, 2014

I think there should be a dress code, and it should be enforced. I have had male teachers ask me to talk to female students. I don't mind.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2014

Women tend to be the keepers of the dress code, because most men do fear getting into a questionable situation if they enforce the DC on a female student. Do I think both teachers should enforce? Absolutely. Do I think they will? Absolutely not. I think that when the code is enforced through write ups, both sexes can write them up. When the infraction requires a more personal interaction, I just accept that this is my job and get it done. If a scuffle breaks out, I am happy to let my male counterparts take the lead on that. It all evens out. We are supposed to be getting them ready for the real world, and dressing for the time and place fits that lesson they must learn.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 13, 2014

I personally think it is a cop out for male teachers but I'm fine with speaking to girls when asked.

I am a bit creeped out by your colleague's opinion that girls are free spirits and should be allowed to wear whatever.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2014

Save the free spirit for a rock concert. In school, girls should not be dressing inappropriately and we don't need to be entertained by someone's undergarments, period!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 13, 2014

It sounds like the male teacher is being "entertained" by the girls wearing inappropriate clothing. I would say something.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 13, 2014

Whenever a girl in my class is dressed inappropriately, I ask one of my teammates to address it. I'm not going there, period, since addressing it requires calling parents. I've returned the favor with boys. It definitely does need to be addressed, if for no other reason than the fact that rules need to be followed.

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2014

As a male I will never send a girl up on dress code issues. I've literally had parents confront me to my face about doing so and questioning why I had any right to be looking at their daughter.

I will, however, email the counselor and have her called up anonymously.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2014

It's a fine line that male teachers have to tow when it comes to enforcing dress code with female students. In my last teaching position, I would often get male teachers who would ask me to say something to female students in passing about their dress code infractions. I didn't mind it a bit. I do believe schools should have dress codes as it prepares students for the working environment.

11. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Oct 13, 2014

If your school's dress code just requires that shorts "cover the cheeks", they must be wearing clothing that's pretty inappropriate. I would say something.

12. tcfullersoccer

tcfullersoccer Rookie

Oct 14, 2014

When I was student-teaching, we had been advised to start cracking down on girls with too revealing of tops, short-shorts, etc. I expressed my concern about this as I was a 43 year old at the time and didn't want to be creepy old dude. The counselor recommended I sent an e-mail and she'd handle it. Good plan.

So, a couple days later, I heard that administrators were cracking down on teachers who weren't reporting girls. So, I had 2 girls who were in really revealing tops. I sent a note to the counselor saying these 2 girls were having a "cleavage contest" and I feel uncomfortable addressing it.

The next day, another girl in class says something to me about reporting them and why didn't I just say something to them. Long story short, the counselor had called the girls into her office AND READ MY E-MAIL TO THEM, complete with "cleavage contest" comment! I was furious, but didn't want to make a big deal of it because I wanted a job. BUT...the union found out and went after the counselor, principal, etc. about her reading my e-mail to the student.

Ugghhh...maybe my cleavage contest comment was off-base, but I NEVER expected an administrator to read my e-mail to the girls.

So, I'm with Rockguykev...I'm not reporting female dress issues-ever.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 14, 2014

Yeah... you probably don't ever need to use the words "cleavage contest" in regards to minors... though I'd agree that the counselor shouldn't have read them the email verbatim. In fairness to her though, you should have never sent it in that way in the first place.

14. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Oct 14, 2014

It is sad to me that something we are teaching them for their safety becomes an issue for teacher safety. But there it is. I understand that my male coworkers do not feel comfortable with this one. I am very comfortable with it and have become the one that other teachers push to the student.

My general way of addressing it is - "you look lovely but what you are wearing is not appropriate for an academic setting. We fought hard to not have a uniform please, make sure you are in appropriate school clothes". If needed, I send them to an office to get an ugly sweater from the principal.

15. teach4real

teach4real Rookie

Oct 15, 2014

Me too

I feel the same way. He says he saw some movie called "Star Girl" and that changed his mind. Personally I think he gets a kick out of it.

16. teach4real

teach4real Rookie

Oct 15, 2014

Too liberal

I am as well. Our policy changed 2 years ago. It used to be fingertip length shorts but we had a crazy principal who has since been fired and it has never been changed back.

17. teach4real

teach4real Rookie

Oct 15, 2014

So inappropriate that some days it is shocking. I have seen girls in skirts so short they had to constantly pull them down in order not to show their butts. I have seen more butt cheeks and midriffs than at the beach. Even though our policy says specifically no midriffs.

18. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Oct 15, 2014

I'm so glad I work at a school with a dress code, and even then we have issues...

When I student taught I was in a freshman math class and there were several girls that would wear low-cut tops. When they asked for help, I just let the (female) teacher know that I didn't feel comfortable bending over their shoulders to help answer a question. She would help them if they had questions.

Having issues when the dress code only requires you to "cover your cheeks" scares the heck out of me.

19. tcfullersoccer

tcfullersoccer Rookie

Oct 15, 2014

I agree..."cleavage contest" was not my best moment. But I've learned a lot since student-teaching. Thank goodness!!

20. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Oct 16, 2014

I have no problem telling kids they are dressed inappropriately. I do it regularly, and work with the admin team on this issue. My husband, who is also a teacher, will NOT tell a girl her outfit is not appropriate for school. I don't blame him. He asks another (female) teacher to deal with it, or sends a message to the admin. A number of male teachers in my building will ask me to speak to a girl if it is needed.