dress code

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jillybean, Feb 27, 2009.

1. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

I am so mad! I came into school today and the school has decided that they are going to change the dress code in the middle of the year. The staff got to dress down on Fridays and we will not be able to do this. We also have to start dressing business professional. They are going to bring around tours and if we are not following the directions then we can get fired on the spot! :down:

3. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Feb 27, 2009

I always dress business professional when teaching. As a professional, I want to be treated as such.

4. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

What would you say is business professional?

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 27, 2009

Business professional:
    No jeans
    No athletic wear (shoes, pants, shorts, shirts, sweatshirts, tshirts)
    No revealing
    No beach wear

Business CASUAL (to me) implies khaki chinos, polo shirts.

Business PROFESSIONAL (to me) implies trousers, collared shirts, jackets, skirts ...

6. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

Ok we were business casual and now they want business professional by monday! I have to go buy all new clothes with no money.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 27, 2009

If that is true, go with seperates you can mix and match. Go with solid pants and add color with blouses.

Check out 2nd hand stores, you'd be surprised.

Kohls had their winter clothing 80% last week ... I know spring is just around the corner, but ... if you need clothes, you need clothes!

8. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

JillyBean,

Have your admins given you a list of what they deem to be "business professional"? Because business professional=suits. I can't seriously imagine they expect to have all of their teachers in suits. That is just too much. Can you imagine a K-2 teacher in the classroom with a suit, hose and heels on?

Perhaps they are just trying to get their teachers to dress less sloppy? I knwo from subbing I have seen a lot of crazy outfits teachers wear - dirty sweatshirts, etc. I think a teacher wearing a nicely pressed polo tucked into khakis with loafers or clogs is perfectly acceptable and "professional" and allows that teacher the freedom to move, bend, squat, etc. All the things they need to do to be effective teachers.

9. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

That is what I think but I think it is crazy to think that we can go out and buy all new clothes over the weekend. I do have somethings but I am not going to wear a suit with little kids.

10. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

Feb 27, 2009

I couldn't imagine having to wear pantyhose to work every day, ewwww... I'm a much better teacher when I'm comfortable.

I too have seen a lot of, shall we say, interesting choices in clothing over the years. But if the district is having problems with certain teachers' dress code, then deal with those teachers ONLY. Don't punish everyone else for someone's lack of judgement. I feel for ya, Jillybean!

:sorry:

11. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2009

Yeah, they can't really say "business professional" without defining it -- because most would interpret as business suits, but if you interpreted it as "business, professional" attire it would imply clothes more suited to your job as a teacher. If it's by Monday, they're not allowing a lot of time for shopping even if you had the money on hand.

Completely unreasonable, and if the only description they gave you is "business professional", also completely inept.

Are you in public or private school?

12. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

If you are public, do you have a union?

If they are going to hold you to a dress code - and let people go if they are not adhering to it - then they have got to do a lot better job of defining what the dress code is. "Business Professional" is not a good enough definition - as many people could interpret it different ways. Not to mention, you should be given more that 72 hours to comply with said dress code.

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 27, 2009

wow, that would be hard! I would be wearing the same 2 pairs of black pants every day! oh and the same 2 black skirts, that are two sizes too wmall :lol good luck with that!

14. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2009

My biggest problems would be--1-They shouldn't change the rules in mid-stream--especially w/o warning. 2-If they want you to wear certain types of clothes, are they gonna pay for it? And 3-I'll wear pearls and lace if they want, just don't take away my comfortable shoes!

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2009

I don't see what's wrong with nice jeans and a nice sweater. I remember high school teachers, plussome of Kevin's elem. teachers wearing jeans.

16. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

I have seen some teachers wearing nice jeans and a pretty shirt or sweater that looks better than another teacher wearing a pair of so called dress pants and a sloppy looking shirt. Pull the poor dressers in the office and leave the rest of the teachers alone.

17. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

For future reference, burlington coat factory has decent prices (i just got a suit for under $50, I also agree with goodwill/resale

18. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2009

It seems that they could be breaking state labor laws. Changing the dress required mid-year with no warning seems like forcing a uniform and not being willing to pay for it. In the state of California that breaks state labor laws. They would be required to pay for the "uniform". A couple years ago there was a law suit against some retail stores that required the workers to wear the garb the store sold and did not provide the clothing for free, the workers won.

19. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

On one hand, they seem to be a little extreme changing the dress code mid-year. On the other hand, I have never been allowed to wear jeans on Friday so consider yourself lucky that you were able to. :)
    They should probably give a list of what they are expecting before they expect teachers to change their wardrobe though.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2009

My guess is that people have been crossing the line between casual and sloppy/provacative and they need to put a stop to it.

I'm a fan of professional dress-- yesterday was a pants suit, the day before was a skirt and blazer with heels.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 28, 2009

There is no way I can teach kindergarten and wear a suit. I do wear ironed kakis and nice fitting sweaters (not to big not to small, and not revealing). We are allowed to wear jeans on Friday if we a pay a dollar to a scholarship fund that goes to one of our high school seniors going to college. And we can pay to wear jeans the first Wednesday of the month and that goes to another scholarship fund.

I just can't imagine crawling around on the floor with a suit on. And the looks on the parents face would be priceless. They already complained one of our K teachers wasn't warm and fuzzy.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2009

No, I didn't mean to imply that it was ideal for everyone, but that it works for me. (Especially this year, with the heffalump :) )

But I do think that the reason rules are changed is that, very frequently, people push the envelope too much. So I imagine the reason for the change in dress code is that too many teachers were dressing like students or in clothes that were too tight, too low cut, or simply too sloppy.

There are plenty of variations of professional. Two or 3 pair of Khakis and a blazer or two, and you can wear just about any solid T shirt, and in many schools (though not mine) you're good to go.

23. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 28, 2009

:wow:

Where did you get a blazer that can heal people? Is it just certain diseases or illnesses?

:lol: (Sorry, I can't often get you on a spelling/grammar error, so when I saw that I just had to do it :) )

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2009

Hey--- given my medical issues this year, I'm taking any and all healing I can get. :p

Sorry about the typo. I'll go back and fix it.

Serves me right for going online on too little sleep.

25. monsieurteacher

Feb 28, 2009

:lol:

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2009

hmmm...now something HAD to have happened for them to change the dress-code at this time...they had better define the new dress code though.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2009

There's nothing inherently 'wrong' with nice jeans and a sweater. One can carry off a very polished look with jeans, a crisp white blouse, blazer and heels. I only wear jeans to school with this look or on 'spirit' days. If your dress code specifies certain parameters, you should adhere to them. Strange, though, that a dress code would be sprung on you so late in the year- must be as Aliceacc points out- a lax attitude toward how one looks, the image that is being presented. It's unfortunate that a few sloppy dressers can create a change that affects all. The same happens with so many situations in the workplace- personal days, signing in, lesson plans, etc...it's the few who don't do what is expected that cause the edicts to be handed down from 'above'....:(

28. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

I work at a charter school and with no union! It sucks! I went today and got a couple pieces so we will see if it will work. I can not work in heels with 1, 2, 3 grades. I am on the floor all the time. I am not sure what they are thinking.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

I have knee and back problems (yes, at only 26) and I must have supportive athletic shoes. You can tell me there are plenty of comfortable "professional" shoes available, but I will tell you nothing keeps me as pain-free as high-quality athletic shoes. Sorry you're having to deal with this mid-year. :(

30. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 1, 2009

Try a comfy but nice looking pair of low-heeled boots. I wear mine almost every day and they go with everything. Plus you can then wear tights instead of pantyhose. Much more comfy. Or wear leggings.

We have had more than usual amounts of cold and snow here. I have been wearing jeans to work since before Christmas, where usually I wear skirts/dresses./blazers w/tights/leggings and my boots. And of course, a top! Sweater or nice long sleeved lady-like t-shirt. In Ohio, I would think at this time of year you would need to dress warmly and wear boots!

Just dress nicely. To me khaki pants are dressy. Get some comfy Merrill's or Dansko's to wear if you don't like boots. Just take care of making sure you are professional each day, considering you teach little kids and spend half your day on the floor. Then see what happens! Keep your head down and this will probably die down after a bit. Keep smiling!

31. monsieurteacher

Mar 1, 2009

JustMe, I have the same problem. Luckily, both schools I work at are fine with it. One day I forgot my running shoes at home and had to wear my uncomfortable emergency dress shoes at school... I regretted that!

32. jb4511

jb4511 Guest

Mar 2, 2009

boo that seems very unfair. even people that i know that work in a business company get friday dress down. maybe how do the other teacher feel about this. maybe you can get enough teachers to sign a petition to keep the dress down day

33. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 2, 2009

So...

How did it go today? What did you wear??

34. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

I was sick tonight been fighting the stomach flu but everything went back to how it was! I am not sure what is going on!

35. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

Ok, things have went back to the way it was. Long story short, we have had changes in our staff. So I am back to my sweaters and pants.

36. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 4, 2009

Isn't that just the way it goes?? They get you all worked up and then they fall flat. sheesh. Glad you get to go back to normal!

37. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2009

Are you taking your new clothes back?

38. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

No way! I love them and I will just wear them for other things! I mostly got shoes and love them!