Dress Code

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hp123, Feb 14, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Feb 14, 2010

What is the dress code in your school? For teachers.

At our school it is professionally casual. We are allowed to wear jeans as long as they are professional.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2010

I'm in a very conservative Catholic high school.

Men: dress pants (no outside seam)jacket and tie, dark socks, belt, polishable shoes.

Women: skirt/ dress with pantyhose, no exposed shoulders or
    pants with a jacket.

No capris, no jeans, no flip flops ever.

And the same dress code applies to those who choose to work summer school.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 14, 2010

We are business casual, but absolutely NO jeans!

5. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Feb 14, 2010

NO capris.....................jeans only on announced Fridays...
    overall business casual

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2010

Jeans only on Fridays if we wear our school spirit shirts.

Casual nice. We can wear nice capris, but no flip flops.

7. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Feb 14, 2010

Business casual, no jeans except on announced fridays.
    We can wear capris.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 14, 2010

business casual, no jeans on fridays, capris are allowed. I prefer not to wear flip flops, but some teachers do.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 14, 2010

Business casual fits us, too. No tshirts or jeans (except on announced days). No sport tennis shoes (Keds type white tennis shoes are ok). Flip flops are not allowed. Any thong sandal with a plastic or cork bottom is banned. On most jeans days the principal will ask that we pair the jeans with a nice top, which most of us do anyway. We did have 3 Saints Fridays in a row, though! :D That was jeans and Saints tops.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 14, 2010

I suppose we are business casual, but it's pretty relaxed. We can wear jeans, sandals, capris, whatever we want, really. Just not work out gear. In general, I think the teachers all try to dress professionally, but it is definitely casual.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 14, 2010

I would say that we're business casual. We can wear dressier capris and some people wear flip flops even though it's frowned upon. We're only allowed to wear jeans on our spirit days once a month and have to pay $3 (used to be $5) in order to wear them.

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Feb 14, 2010

We don't have a dress code, but I dress business casual. I wear jeans on Fridays.

13. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 14, 2010

Around here all of the local schools have a scholarship fund that is paid for by "dress down fridays" for the teachers. Fridays, and other special times, are the days the teachers can wear jeans or other truly casual clothing. The rest of the time dress pants and a nice sweater is well enough (men can wear a polo shirt, but no one considers that same outfit dressed up enough for a woman)

I prefer to never participate in dress down days because I'm short, and mistaken for a student half the time anyway. At least if I look a bit overly professional, its obvious to people who don't know me that they shouldn't yell at me for being in the hall or taking a teacher's lunch

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2010

We don't have one.

There is a little bit of everything. We have a few who wear sweat pants or regular jeans with athletic shoes and graphic t-shirts every day.

Most of us are somewhere between business casual and casual. Most of the time I wear dress slacks, but I'll throw in a pair of dark wash jeans sometimes . . . but only with dressier shoes/boots and a blouse or dressier sweater/jacket.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 14, 2010

We don't have an established dress code but it's mostly "business casual." Men in khakis and nice shirts, maybe even a tie. Women in everything from colored jeans to really dressy. I've noticed that 7th and 8th dress nicer than 6th. No flip flops. I do worry that if people aren't more careful, then we will have a dress code. Dress down Fridays on pay days benefit lots of different places.

16. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Feb 14, 2010

No sweats or shorts. We can wear capris. I don't think the issue of shoes has come up. We can wear jeans on Friday for free and pay $2 to wear them on Tuesdays. The money goes to the American Cancer Society.

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2010

I'm at a Lutheran school, so we do have a dress code. We do have "comfort days" twice a month (Fridays of payday weeks) where we can wear jeans and tennis shoes. Otherwise, it's mostly business casual, although it ranges from a nice sweater and khakis to skirts and blouses. We do have chapel once a week, and that's a dressier day (for students too--no jeans or sweatshirts on chapel days). Some other rules: we can wear dress walking shorts (knee length) when the temperature or humidity gets above 90--in other words, most of August! Also, we can't wear sleeveless shirts of any kind (neither can students).

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 14, 2010

For those of you who can not wear capris--I am short and when I wear capris and they come clear to my ankle. So, how do you define capris?

19. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Feb 14, 2010

It varies. Our new principal as of last year tried to kick it up a bit, so those un-tenured teachers now dress better than the tenured ones. For males, it generally: shirt, tie, slacks, dress shoes. For females, I'm not entirely sure to be honest. But I think generally speaking, we're all somewhere between business casual, and regular business.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2010

Business casual. Jeans allowed on Fridays. We can wear flip flops as long as they are dressy. This next week we're doing a fundraiser for Relay for Life so we're paying $5 to wear jeans all week.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 14, 2010

I think my new school is pretty casual. As stated in a prior thread, we have to wear slippers/sandals inside the building. But I don't like to dress too casual-I'm trying to build up my wardrobe with nicer pants and tops. I layer a lot, so I may use a solid cotton shirt to start, but it usually has a really nice sweater or wrap over it, with nicer dress pants/skirt.

22. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Feb 14, 2010

No sweats, shorts, or t-shirts on teaching days, but we can wear just about anything on nonteaching days as long as shoulders to thighs are covered.

23. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 14, 2010

No dress code at my school.

24. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 14, 2010

The school I am at is strange. Not much is frowned upon. I've seen people in flip flops and no one raised an eyebrow. A few people have worn sweats, pants and shirts. I just know jeans aren't allowed. Which is weird considering sweats are. I also noticed on our day, many of the STs wore jackets and business suits and everyone looked us like we were bonkers. TBH, the center I was at had a uniform and I prefer that and think more schools should have it for their teachers. It made getting ready faster. I also think when everyone is wearing the same style and color there's a level of professionalism.

25. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 15, 2010

This just reminded me of when I was in high school. The teachers had begun to dress really casual, and someone had a problem with that so new rules were put in effect - that included requiring all male teachers to wear a tie.
    The one teacher protested this rule by wearing a square tie with brightly colored basketballs on it. And it took if off during his lunch period because they couldn't force him to wear a tie on his lunch break.
    One day one of the other teachers stole it during lunch - and it was several months before he got it back. He was so angry about it. But on the other hand, it gave him what he wanted, since he didn't wear a tie until he got it back.
    Thinking about it, all of the teachers told us way too much about the missing tie incident

26. wrice

wrice Habitué

Feb 15, 2010

?!? Sweats, tshirts, flip flops?!? No wonder we teachers still have trouble being recognized in public eyes as knowledgable, trained professionals worthy of a high salary.

Do students listen to teachers dressed like they just rolled out of bed?

I daily wear a dress shirt and tie, suit many days.

27. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 15, 2010

In high school and college, I preferred professors who dressed casually because I felt it showed they were willing to get down on our level to teacher, whereas the crips professionally dressed ones wanted to put on an air of "I'm better than you, so accept what I say and don't treat me like an equal."
    Of course I was also in the advanced academic track.
    You should have seen my honors courses in college - not one person sitting up straight, not a single girl with make-up on, professor sitting on the desk the whole time, people fiddling and looking around. But always an open, honest, equal level of exchange that you rarely find in most undergraduate classrooms.
    I argued with professors who were dressed up much more than the laid-back clothes ones, and I do believe that's because the casual ones were more likely to consider that a student might know something they didn't, whereas the dressed up ones were concerned more with being an authority figure than they were with knowing the truth, whereas the casual professors were willing to have a back and forth that broadened the understanding of all who heard the conversation. the crisply dressed ones were more of "That's what I said and that's the truth" even when you could undeniably prove they were wrong. Of course there were some exceptions, but I didn't have a single professor I respected and awed who showed up in a business suit. Those ones tended to fall into two categories - their class was so ridiculously easily it was pointless to take or their class was so ridiculously stupid because they talked about the importance of having your own opinion, then got mad if you didn't agree with the opinion they had on the subject. The two professors I think had no business being near a college classroom were the two most professionally dressed I've had, and the two I learned the most from were two of the most sloppily dressed. Its been my experience that if a professor doesn't have a stain on his shirt, a missing button, or a hole in his shoe he's not capable of exchanging information on the same level as an honors professor is. Goes back to the old joke that the geniuses are always disheveled because they are too busy with their higher level thinking to bother about trivial things like make-up and neatly combed hair.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2010

I know this has been debated on A to Z many, many times and none of us are likely to budge, but yes, students listen to me even when I have flip-flops on. I think that if I dressed casually one day and students instantly "turned off" that I would be lacking in classroom management skills, for if my clothing was the key to their obedience and eagerness to learn...well that's a sad day. I'm glad many of my students have listened to what we have preached to them since preschool regarding valuing what's on the inside more than a person's exterior.

While I don't think I look like I rolled out of bed, and I have never worn sweat pants to school, I completed observations hours with a teacher who, well...she took casual to the far edge bordering on sloppy. Many of you would say she was outright despicable. But what an awesome classroom she had!

It still amazes me that people see a t-shirt as a bad thing...and that's not coming down on anyone whatsoever, but it's such a foreign thought to me that it surprises me every time. Just as I'm sure so many of you still shake you head and try to understand how other teachers sport a t-shirt and tennis shoes. :)

I've had similar though not quite extreme experiences as Toak in that when I was in middle school there were a couple of new and out of town teachers who mistook the classroom for a runway or at least a live-action JCPenney Catalog, and trust me...they intimidated me and I perceived them as being snobby.

I'm just a normal person who teaches. My clothing does not define me. My teaching abilities do not disappear when I wear a t-shirt and flip-flops.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2010

A much later second thought... :)

To answer the question, our school doesn't have a set dress code.

30. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

Our school is business casual..We can wear capris and sandals. We have casual Fridays when we can wear jeans and flip flops if we want.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2010

One of our best teachers never wears anything except regular jeans, athletic shoes, and t-shirts or sweatshirts. She's got great classroom management, works great with the kids, and the kids like her a lot, too.

Another of our teachers wears jeans/sweatpants, athletic shoes, and t-shirts every day. Her room is a management nightmare.

I can't see clothing choice changing anything for either of them.

I don't see any change in my kids when I wear a dress and heels than opposed to when I wear capris & sandals. I do feel that teachers need to dress like they were planning to be at work that day, but I only have to take care of myself.

32. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 15, 2010

Our school doesn't seem to have one anymore since our new P came. She wears sandals, I think she's even worn flip flops. She is very heavy set and short. All of her clothes look a little sloppy because they are so big. There are many "non thin" teachers, including me, who dress nice so there's no excuse for how sloppy she looks IMO.

There is a teacher who wears orange stretch pants tigger t shirts a couple days a week.

Men usually wear nice pants and polos. Occasionally jeans with School shirt.

So, long story short, no dress code.

33. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 15, 2010

Business casual M-Th and jeans with t-shirt/ board approved printed or embroidered design on Fridays. Our shoes can not be slippers of any kind and should be either mostly white, black, or brown.

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2010

Some teachers wear jeans on Fridays. I do if it's a spirit day, for field trips or for 'wear jeans for charity' days...other than that, I rarely wear jeans to school. Never sweats:eek:. I dress professionally every day...that doesn't mean a suit, but for me it's dress slacks or skirt, blouse or knit tops, cardigan sweaters or pashminas, sometimes a blazer jacket...and of course fab shoes. I think someone can look very professional in jeans with a crisp white shirt, maybe with a blazer, a pair of heels and some great jewelry(Love that look!)...One can also look like a slob in 'professional dress'...it's all how you put your look together, how you carry it off, and the manner in which you comport yourself.

35. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2010

I don't think we have a set dress code, but everyone dresses business casual. I am probably one of the ones who is more dressed up, because I wear dresses almost every day. I'm just more comfortable in dresses. We are allowed to wear jeans on Friday with any type of shirt. I usually wear jeans and a school shirt or sweatshirt.

When I teach summer school I can dress really casually. I would wear flip flops most days and t-shirts. We were doing small exercises with our kids and working with small groups. I never meet with any parents at all during summer school, so it was just me and the kids. They never had a problem listening to me.

36. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 15, 2010

Who gets the money?

We are business casual Monday to Thursday and on Fridays we have school spirit days where the students and faculty all wear school spirit shirts (tshirts generously provided by the PTA for the kids, polo shirts that we purchase for teachers) and teachers can wear jeans with them. I love Fridays but I would definitely not pay any money just to wear jeans to school, I'm perfectly comfortable in my dress pants!

There are teachers in my school who push the envelope with sneakers some days, jeans some days. They must not be spoken to about it, because I see the same people doing it over and over. I've heard some of them say that they need to dress like that because they work with young children. I must be doing something wrong, because I dress up every day, and I teach Pre-K, the youngest children in the school- quite well, if I do say so myself LoL.

37. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Feb 15, 2010

No written dress code. I would say most people dress in business casual M-Th. Occasionally people will wear jeans M-Th, but they are usually paired with a dressier top/jacket. Fridays most people wear jeans, I guess it's sort of an unwritten thing. Capris and sandals are okay, although most people choose dressier ones. Paras at my school do dress a lot more casually than certified staff (jeans and tees/sweatshirts mostly).

38. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 15, 2010

We can wear jeans on Fridays only although I sometimes wear them on other days... so far nobody has said anything. :) I teach kindergarten and I'm on the floor ALL THE TIME and get annoyed when I wear my dress pants and nice shirts and then they get paint, glitter, or other stuff all over them. :)

39. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 15, 2010

No dress code at my school either....other than...no mid-riffs and undergarments showing when one bends over.

40. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 16, 2010

I think the dress code depends on the age group you teach. I use to wear dresser clothes when I taught older children. Now that I teach 6 year olds and have went home with paint, glue, glitter, and other items on me from class; I wear dress casual. My husband is the Ag teacher, so he is in the shop or barn for part of his day. He wears starched jeans (I think he looks nice in and they cost as much or more than a pair of slacks) with polo or button-down collar shirts. We are only allowed to wear jeans (must be blue and no holes) in the regular classroom (art, Ag, and shop are excluded) on Friday. We can never wear wind pants or sweats.

41. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 16, 2010

We are more relaxed than business casual. The one big rule is no jeans except of Fridays. Capris, flip flops, sandals, shorts, etc are ok. I usually wear slacks and a nice blouse or sweater. When it is warm, I might bring out a skirt.