Dreams about Teaching/School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SouthernBuckeye, Jul 9, 2009.

1. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Jul 9, 2009

Ever since school let out last month, I have been having dreams about school or teaching every single night. I never had a single dream about it all year long!

Mostly, they revolve around classroom management (like not having control over a class, or not knowing what to do). I have no idea why. I never had issues with that stuff last year.

I think part of it is me decompressing from stress that I buried deep within during the year, and part of it is anxiety for next year already! :lol:

Anyone else have this happen ever? I just think it's weird that I'm only dreaming about school in the summer, when there is no school, instead of during the year.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

It hasn't started up yet, but I'm sure it will.

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

I am having the same dreams, although not every night. I usually notice I have them if I've been preparing for next year before bed! And, just like you, they're all dreams about me losing control of my class which was never an issue last year!

5. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

Whenever I'm oversleeping, I have a dream that my assistant principal (who is the supervisor over my department) is looking for me, but I'm avoiding him. It never fails, if I'm having that dream, I wake up and realize I'm running late. It's because when I'm running late, he's the one who unlocks my door for my kids, and it's SO embarassing because the kids (high schoolers) know he's my boss, so to them it's like ooh, the teacher's in trouble.

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

I have elaborate fantasies of awesomeness for next school year...

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

The year I took off after the birth of my first child, I had back-to-school dreams for the ENTIRE year. My school dreams usually start up August 1 and then stop after the first week or so. I think my brain just wasn't prepared that year for me to be staying home!

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

This thread comes up every year and I'm always thankful it does because it shows me I'm either not crazy or at least not alone in my insanity.

I've only had one "Class from the Netherworld" dream this summer but I'm sure they'll come. I have no idea why it happens because my kids are always great...

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2009

I also have them periodically, even over the summer. Had one the other day- giving a standardized test to an auditorium of Pre-K students - couldn't get rid of their parents.

I think that even though we may not be in school right now, we are still thinking "school" stuff, shopping for school supplies, etc. It's on our minds.

10. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

I had a dream I got hired on the first day of school and they expected me to teach! I had a 5/6 grade combo class full of the worst kids in the school. (I think this stemmed from the school I was an IA at b/c the 5/6 combo class had a lot of behavior issues in it....). First off 5th and 6th are the last 2 grades I would like to teach on my certification but anyway back to the dream. I had an aide and she was like oo don't worry about them being bad today b/c you didn't even know, you'll just get control tomorrow. I don't know why but I listened... I was like well I don't have any supplies anyway we can't practice procedure or math facts or w/e. The whole day they were just out of control and I was ok with it and kept saying oh tomorrow....and all the teachers were understanding were like oo its ok..........HOW HORRIBLE!!!

I woke up and was like OMG who would do that. I also spent the whole day thinking of what someone would do in that situation and I came up with great ideas...though I don't think I would ever be in a situation of no supplies and being hired 10 minutes before the first bell and expected to teach all day hahahah

11. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

So glad you started this thread. :D I always had nightmares just before going back to school as a student,which was strange since I loved school for the most part. Now that I'm teaching, I have the same dreams except I'm the teacher. I think that most of these dreams expose our feelings of uncertainty or the area that we feel least confident about. Fun to read and somehow reassuring too!:thumb:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  12. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 9, 2009

I have dreams of different classroom things for example last night it was about a bulletin board that a teacher did when I was student teaching and woke realizing I must use is it because it was great. I dream about lit circles, science notes and projects.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 9, 2009

I haven't had any dreams yet... I'm finally sleeping again after a few weeks of being worried about not having a job in the fall. I still don't have a job in the fall, but now I'm working at a daycare for the summer, so I'm so exhausted, I go right to sleep!

14. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

I just had one last night. Mine are ALWAYS about being late to pick up my class and then losing control. I often scream and yell at children in my dreams, which I never do in my waking life!

15. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I dream about school year round. Doesn't matter if school is in session or not -- school always makes its way into my dreams. I often dream that I showed up to school without my cane. Sometimes I dream that I showed up to school and everyone is signing to each other. Most often though I have those "out of control" type dreams where I show up late, and then don't have control over my class or my P is annoyed with me. The funny thing is these things very rarely happen in real life so it doesn't make sense for my subconscious to be so plagued by disaster.

16. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I haven't had them yet, either, but I know they'll come...
    When I have them, they are ALWAYS about being completely and totally unprepared the first day. Bare bulletin boards, desks all askew, projects that I think of at the last second, with not enough materials perepared for.... and the fear of teachers and parents thinking I'm totally incompetent :( You'd think, after having the same dream several times, that I'd catch on in my dreams by now-- and PREPARE SOMETHING before the first day!

Wow, who knew I had such deeply rooted anxieties!?? Is this why I go overboard preparing in real life?

17. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

I have had 2 so far this summer. The one I had the other night started with we weren't allowed into our classrooms until 2 hours before school started on the first day and everyone was rushing around to put stuff up. Then when class started, there was a new policy that older people who hadn't found a job yet, had to go back into an elementary class haha. Two people I went to school with were in my class...pretty funny. Also, since there's a summer program going on in my room right now, I found out that they had left some pretty cool stuff in there like a mini fridge and some tropical fish and had at least set up my desks for me. If only... :lol:

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

I do have dreams, but I also have reoccurring mid-night 'panic attacks.' I wake up at 4 am and believe that report cards are due that day and I forgot to average grades and write my comments. What's worse, I'm departmentalized, so my team counts on me for their reading and writing grades. It's an awful experience. It usually takes about a minute to realize it's okay, but coming down from that sheer panic takes forever.

19. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

Ok, now I know I'm not alone!!! My dreams are usually about lack of control and chaos because thats the one thing that would make me the most crazy. My dreams usually stop when I know my stuff is ready for the next year.

BTW one year I dreamed I was at the beach and a giant wave dragged me all the way back to my classroom, where I had to quickly shower before my class arrived. LOL

20. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

So for the first time I had two teacher dreams in two night. Back to back nights. One of them I was in an interview and practically begging for a job and she gave me one and I had to go to prom with the female P because she gave me the job. Weird!!

Then I had one of me setting my room up.
    Bittersweet!

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2009

I've had probably two dreams about this over the course of the past few months. In one, I was absent for the first five days of school or so, and I came in thinking I was prepared. However, the class went amok after that and told me they didn't want to listen.

You know what... the only year I DIDN'T have these dreams, I turned out having a class that had a lot of challenges with self-control.

Another dream I've had MANY times is being in high school or college- and not being able to finish a class, falling short of graduating on time. I had many F's and could not make up the assignments in time because I was absent too many times, oblivious that class had started or was going on in the first place. I've had this dream SO MUCH in adulthood, and it freaks me out.

22. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 2, 2009

I had a dream the past two nights that I got hired at the school I have an interview with on Tuesday.
    The guy liked me so much and hired me on the spot.

23. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I've had two dreams now about losing control of the class. The most recent one was a couple weeks ago, and I dreamed that my class wouldn't listen, wouldn't walk in a line, ran around the room, and was just all out crazy. I tried everything I knew, and finally the secretary had to come in and settle them down...don't know why it was the secretary, but it was. I'm a first year teacher and already nervous, which was reflected in my dream.

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2009

I've now probably had 6-8 this summer. My mind is in overdrive.

I had one just last night, though I believe the kids were older. I remember starting off amazing in the dream and then very soon losing my cool. I remember crying a lot in front of the students, and three students did not get lunch. Apparently this male teacher (older) was in my room and said there was no way they could have the lunch, that he'd never let them eat in the room, no matter what.

Maybe two weeks ago at the most, I had another dream that made me sad- I got this huge class (though it was probably just my class of 23) and led them to lunch/specials/etc. over the course of the day. I remember kids were running off and hollering at me. Only about 10 stayed with me faithfully, and a few I couldn't find in any way whatsoever. They were in the woods and other places around the school. I kept saying, "For some reason, I think I can start this all again and make things right," yet the kids were so horrid. In the morning, I had nothing for them to do. I also had to watch Advanced 5th (which consisted of this past year's kids) for a few minutes while I left my kids by themselves. It was the absolute worst teacher dream I ever had.

25. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

My brain won't shut off...

We have been out of summer school since June 7th and start Aug. 25th with kids. I had to pack up my room which was a very large room and move back to the elementary end, which I am excited about. But I haven't been able to get into my room yet and do anything. Mine is the last one to get waxed. Tomorrow is the first day I can get in and work. When I get there the custodians will help move things back in to the places I want things.

In the last few days things have gotten worse as far as sleeping because my brain won't stop thinking of everything not just school. Last night I woke up almost every half hour.

I can't get my mind off of school... Hopefully after tomorrow and working in my room I can start to relax a little bit knowing my things are in the places that I want them to be.

26. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

I'm blaming mine more on hormones :) I dreamt that even though I left at my same time as usual, I was any where from 1-3 hours late for school!