Dreaming about school...

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by CanadianTeacher, Aug 3, 2007.

1. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

Geez, it's only the 3rd of August and I'm already having dreams about school, and it doesn't start until the day after Labour Day! Scenarios about behaviour management and botched lessons are just running through my head as I sleep! I'm perfectly confident about teaching the curriculum, but my big fears are idle time which can happen no matter how prepared you think you are and behaviour management, which is clear in my mind when I'm at home, but when I get into class and am faced with a situation, the confidence goes out the window. These are things I want to improve on this year and the fear of the unknown (because you can't predict or control everything that happens) drives me crazy. Anyone else starting to have the beginning of the year jitters?

3. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 3, 2007

My worst recurring dream is one where for some reason half of my kids from last year (always the most annoying half) decided to stay in 8th grade and not move to the high school. They would give me trouble and the other half of the class was brand new and looking at the rest of my class with wide frightened eyes.

4. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I have similar nightmares where I dream that I have a class full of kids who do not listen to me no matter what I do. The kids just keep doing whatever no matter the consequence. I wake up and I feel awful my entire day.

5. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Aug 3, 2007

The back-to-school dreams began 2 weeks ago for me! I went ahead and got into my classroom today and got started with organizing and decorating...hopefully that will quell the jitters, at least for the weekend!

6. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

So I am not crazy, good. I have been having dreams where one of my least behaved students from last year gets my job. I walk into my classroom the first day, and he says: "Hello Mrs. Kenny, take your seat. You are tardy today, so you will have to stay five minutes after class with me." Evil laugh ad nauseum....I am so excited for school to begin, and yet, this student haunts my dreams....yuck!

7. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Dreams? Well, at least you guys are sleeping...:yawn:

8. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 12, 2007

My stepdad, who has taught for 35 years, has joked that I can't officially consider myself a teacher until I have THE teacher dream. You know, the one where you're teaching in front of your entire class on the first day and are naked . . . that one. Even after 30 years, he still says he has it at least three times before school starts for the year. So, now I'm worried about what happens when I don't start having dreams!!!! And school starts in two weeks - yikes!

9. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Aug 13, 2007

I had the exact same nightmare recently, and in my dream I cried in front of them also... School starts (well institute day) 27th of August for me. I really want to enjoy the rest of my summer not being stressed, but doing unit plans now is not so much the "out of sight, out of mind" I am looking for. LOL, I am just glad i'm not alone.