Dream jobs?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Feb 5, 2014.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 5, 2014

If money was no object and you could not fail, what would your dream job be? Something that already exists? Or some position completely new that very few people (if anyone) has ever thought of?

I have a very hard time seeing myself working outside the education world (or at least the service industry world) but I am ready to move on from the classroom. I'd like to be a hospital/home-school liason. I really don't think this exists (at least no one in my area has heard of anything like this) but it should. I would work with students who are out of the classroom for long stretches because of injury or illness to help them keep up with their academics so that when it is time for them to reenter the classroom setting they won't have slid terribly far behind. Ideally they would be right on target with their peers, but I know children of trauma (whether car accidents or cancer) are not likely to be able to keep up with their healthy peers.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 5, 2014

I was a home/hospital teacher for a year. I loved it.

I'd like to run a bookstore and cafe with a catering business.

4. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2014

I would like to teach on a reservation. :)

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 5, 2014

I'd open a farm to rescue OTTBs (off the track Thoroughbreds) and bring kids in juvenile detention out to work with some of them.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 5, 2014

dgpiaffeteach, that is a really neat idea. I hope you can make it a reality someday!

I've always wanted to run a band's meet & greets. My favorite band is Hanson, so that would be the ultimate dream to work for them. I love concerts, and I always wanted to work "behind the scenes." I've had a few meet & greets before, and they are such a blast! Plus, you would get to attend a free concert every night.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2014

Archeologist.
    Egyptologist.
    Author.
    Bookstore owner (think You've Got Mail).
    Natural shop that would offer bath and body, baked goods, etc.
    Animal rescuer/gentle farm.

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 5, 2014

I would love to run a cafe which serves breakfast and lunch. There would also be a room for high tea, baby and bridal showers. I would want it to be in a Victorian house.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2014

Journalist/Investigative reporter.
    Historian.
    Writer.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2014

I love my job...wouldn't change too much about it. It's my real life dream job....

In my far fetched dreams though, I'm a Harley riding rock star. But truthfully when one looks at the drugs, divorces and dysfunction of that demographic I think I'll stick with being a rock star to the kids I teach...and although not a Harley, I do love my Jeep Cherokee.:cool:

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 6, 2014

My dream job used to be an anthropologist. Nowadays, maybe just part-time of that like commuting when I want to PLUS...

work from home jobs where I can make a decent living & have the freedom to set my own schedule to do what I love in my free time, when I want to. I'm just just wishing here, I'm halfway doing (the WAH) now!

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2014

Retire sooner.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 6, 2014

I love teaching.
    But, when I started college I wanted to be a park ranger.

14. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Feb 6, 2014

Right now, work for a university museum doing programming and community outreach while creating partnerships and internships with the the academic programs.

And the best part is I'm halfway there!

15. teachart

teachart Comrade

Feb 6, 2014

I do have my dream job, I just don't have my dream salary :/

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 6, 2014

I used to say chef, but now I think food blogger would be closer to my dream. I'd want to only work when I wanted to, not at 11 on Fridays, like most chefs!

I also have seriously looked into becoming a travel agent. I have been bitten by the travel bug lately, and I just love the research and planning aspect of vacations. I could do that very easily, if I could make enough money. Especially now that many are solely online. Doing a little onsite research would have to be an excellent perk!

17. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 6, 2014

Own a bookstore/bakery

Be a SAHM who is heavily involved in PTO activities and volunteering at school and civic programs

Something at a college - DS could go for free!!!

I'm honestly beginning to think I'm the kind of person who isn't going to be thrilled with any job I have unless it's the SAHM one mentioned above, which is never going to happen. It's what I get for marrying a fellow low-paid public servant (police officer). :haha:

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 6, 2014

I would like to work at a LUSH store, and just be able to direct school plays without having to teach.

19. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Feb 6, 2014

Zoo Architect!!!

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2014

- Whitewater Rafting Guide.
    - Firearms Instructor for large police academy.
    - Soldier of Fortune.
    - Or simply repeat 30 years as as oil company exploration exec.

:):):)

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2014

Television critic would't be bad; I could watch television all day, write about it and get paid. Realistically, being an academic advisor at a college would be great! I did it as a graduate assistant and loved it...maybe someday I'll be able to break into that.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 6, 2014

Television Broadcast Journalist.

The type who travel to different cities, states, and countries to report on current affairs...not the ones who sit behind a desk and read the news to viewers.

23. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2014

Teach like I am now, however with an excellent full time aide, a secretary for each teacher to keep track of things like filing/set up etc..., a counselor for every kid who needs one, enough money for all training and supplies I think would be useful for my students, some one who could automatically mute all the "deformers", newspapers which printed reports which are honest and unbiased, a secretary of education and all lower administrators who have years of experience actually in the classroom before becoming administrators, politicians who do not use lies about education to get votes....

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 10, 2014

I've emailed the president of a local school board to see if a home/hospital teaching program was in place. I found out that it was a program that they had 20 some years ago and never knew about so maybe it is still around or is something they want to start up again. I don't know if this dream will happen, but I am certain it won't if all I do is dream about it. I've gotta try.

25. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2014

I would also like to be able to have more time with my kids and much less material to cover. That would make my job much easier and make it possible to do a better job.