"Dream Job"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by swansong1, Jun 24, 2013.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

I have been curious about this term for a long time. In your opinion, what qualifies a job as a dream job?

Is it location, pay, a grade you student taught in, a grade that someone you know said you would be good at...?

I have always wondered how you would qualify a job with that phrase if you haven't taught it.

Obviously, I have too much time on my hands right now. :lol:

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 24, 2013

I think that, for many people, their "dream job" is always across the fence (i.e., the grass is greener...).

4. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 24, 2013

I don't think there is a set definition, and sometimes a dream job can turn out to be anything but. I'd say it's the job you would take if you could hand pick and not have to interview for it :)

5. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 24, 2013

Getting to teach at a school close to my family, teaching a subject that I like, with a supportive/competent administration. Thats my "dream job" but I feel lucky to have most of those things(school is just far away from home).

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

My 'dream' job would be at the elementary school I attended. My grandma attended high school in the same building. I L-O-V-E my hometown.

Obviously, more money would be nice. And I'd love 2nd grade. But this school is 1-4, so I really would happily teach anything there.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 24, 2013

I had my dream job - twice!

My "dream job" isn't too terribly specific. I want to feel valued, I want to produce something, I want decent hours, a little bit of prestige, a nice paycheck and something that is going to keep me learning and/or challenged intellectually.

I worked for two different companies that did just that. I left the first one because the second one offered more money and benefits. I left the second one to be a SAHM.

Teaching is not my dream job but it is a good job. For now. The end product, connecting with students and watching them grow, is a great reward and it does offset some of the missing pieces.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 24, 2013

My dream job would be -

1. Within walking distance of my house

2. Have small class sizes (15 - 20 kids)

3. A small (like $50 - 100 per teacher) budget for teachers to purchase supplies from

4. A "late" school (my friend's school starts at 9:30. I would LOVE to get up at 8 a.m rather than 5:30)

5. A P who supports the teachers and allows WORKSHEETS (when they're useful. I understand not wanting a bunch of "time-wasters")

6. A printer in my classroom and enough cartridges to last the entire school year (we get one in August and if you're lucky, MAYBE one more around December. Then they "run out")

7. NO MICE!!! (at least not ones I can see :lol: The ones I had this year were extremely bold, going so far as to run across my classroom whenever the students were quiet and not moving around much)

8. Wi-Fi so I can actually use my laptop at my desk instead of in a super awkward position by the closet since it's nearest to the modem (or whatever the heck you call the thing it plugs into. it's like a box attached to the wall)

:wub:

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

I pretty much have my dream job (at least in education)!

Like Em, I would prefer a school that starts later in the morning but I know of exactly zero schools in my region that does that, so I put that in the Fantasy Job category. Different, of course, from Dream Job. ;)

It's the specific school, position, proximity to home, budget, administration, teammates...

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2013

I don't know if I have a dream job anymore. I definitely did in college. I wanted to teach 1st grade in the suburbs.

Instead I'm teaching 3rd grade in the inner city and I couldn't be happier. As much as I'd love to get paid more I wouldn't love to leave the city. I guess my dream job would be to move up to 4th grade.

I would also like to work with mildly/moderately MR students (I had one in my class this year and I would be happy with a class of only- MR students.) However at the same time I think there are things I would miss about inclusion if I did that.

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2013

Swan~I have all wondered the same thing. So happy that you asked this question.

12. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Jun 24, 2013

For me, it had nothing to do with location or pay, it's teaching the population I'm most passionate about. Although I haven't had the job, I know I'm passionate about it because I have worked with this population in the past.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2013

I love where I work...
    Easy commute
    Supportive community
    Good PD opportunities
    Great collegial relations
    Good administrators
    Competitive salary
    Up to date technology and resources
    Trust placed in teachers as decision makers

:thumb:

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 24, 2013

This is what I was thinking. Of course more money would be nice, but most schools around here tend to pay around the same anyway. To me a "dream job" would be one where I knew for sure (through a friend that worked there or something) that admin was supportive/great to work with and the other teachers were easy to work with also. This is far more important to me than a specific grade level or a higher salary. I worked in my favorite grade with an absolutely wonderful team of teachers this past year. We are truly like a little family, and I know coming across a team like that is probably a once in a lifetime chance. I made 3,000 more than last year and moved to an area I love living in. Even so, my admin ruined the experience for me. Bad admin can really ruin an entire school. My "dream job" would be one where I knew this wouldn't happen.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2013

The term "dream job" to me encompasses ALL of those characterisitics (or as close to them as possible).

I had a dream job for the last 2 yrs & I have no worries that I'll have another dream job again:

- pay pretty good...for just starting
    - drive was no more than 20 min 1-way
    - the perfect schedule (4 & sometimes 3-day work wks)
    - 7:30 or 8:00 to 2:30 or 3:00
    - good subject taught (speech & language) w/ no rules on how to teach it. The lessons/activities are up to me.
    - rarely had behavioral problems because it was pull-out for 30 min in small groups of 1-5 kids
    - principal not on my back...he/she left me alone to do my thing

The new job I got for the upcoming 2013-14 yr might be pretty close as well...I hope!

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 24, 2013

I love my job - my school, (most of) my admins, and my student population. If there were anythings I would change, it might be to make my commute a bit shorter (30 min. now) and perhaps a student population with a bit more diversity. But I'm honestly very happy where I am!

17. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jun 24, 2013

The definition of a dream job is a job that doesn't feel like work because you love it so much at the same time it's a job that allows you to live comfortably and enjoy a little extra goodies in life(like say eating out, traveling, buying a couple of tangibles :) )

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

My dream job is one with an awesome administration and staff. Thankfully I've got it :D

19. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 24, 2013

Hmmmm....my "dream" job would revolve a great deal around my clientele....

1. Students who actually put effort into their classwork. (So I don't have to hear anymore, "How much do I have to do to get a "D?")

2. Not having to regularly break up fights/confrontations.

3. Not having students that dare you to try to teach them. (So I don't have to hear anymore, "Make me do it" in response to an announced assignment or my other favorite, "I'm not doing it, I don't care.")

4. Not having to hear the "F" word every other word or street slang, like "jawn."

5. Parents taking responsibility for their kids.

6. A classroom, instead of "floating" every year.

7. Administrators that actually do their job.

8. A salary at least comparable to the districts that DON'T have our problems.

......that kind of thing. I can deal with the start time, commute and the other extraneous stuff.
    ;)

20. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 24, 2013

I think I have my dream job! I love my school. :) I love that we are small and that I know every student who walks the halls. My coworkers are all very supportive of one another. The parents are all pretty much amazing and do sweet things for the teachers throughout the year. I'm honestly a little bummed and missing school so far this summer.

I will say that after reading "The End of Molasses Classes" I would love to teach at the Ron Clark Academy; it's a magical place where teaching dreams come true!

21. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Jun 27, 2013

I've had two dream jobs.

1. A greater than normal amount of downtime for both teachers and students. This allowed teachers and students to interact on a more mature, more personal level than in the classroom. Alternative, non-traditional education at it's best.

2. I worked abroad. The teaching was far above average and life outside of work was incredible!

22. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Jun 27, 2013

I think I have that job: an excellent school is a small college town, motivated kids, solid budgetary support for our efforts, great parents, a very good administration (a rarity!), excellent salary, and a democratic school culture. In addition to all this, I will be working 40% (my request) next year, teaching the same course - philosophy, my favorite - twice each semester. I am very fortunate, I know.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 27, 2013

I've only had one year that I couldn't wait until it was over, and the rest of them have been good or great. Of course, I could always add to my wish list for each job, but I'm pretty happy with the job I have now, and all but one in the past.

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2013

Well, as long as we're dreaming... :)

- Close to home
    - Decent hours (as in don't have to be at work before sunrise)
    - A better paycheck
    - Some sort of supply budget
    - Novels! Lots and lots of glorious novel sets!
    - Not having the game rules change constantly, not having new initiatives shoved down our throats only to have them disappear months later... just the chance to actually give something the old college try and wait to see if it's effective.

Other than that... my current job is pretty darn good!

25. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jun 28, 2013

I love my job. My first assignment was in an economically depressed school with no resources and large classes. I loved it because I didn't know any better, and I really felt I was making a difference. My next job was in an overseas school with 15 eager high-achiving students and an unlimited field trip budget. I loved this. Currently I'm in a middle class neighborhood school with great parent support and terrific co-workers. I love this assignment.

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 28, 2013

On paper, it appears my position for this fall will be a dream job:

-at my husband's old elementary, so everyone knows him and automatically likes me
    -very small town atmosphere
    -10 minutes from our new house
    -5th grade (my fav!)
    -$500/year for supplies on top of new teacher supply requests
    -smartboard and elmo, with access to notebooks and iPads
    -8:45 start time and 3:10 day end
    -supportive principal and teammates
    -close childcare for my son (HUGE)

I'm sure things will pop up as the year starts, though. I'm wondering about our curriculum at the moment-I haven't had a chance to dive in yet. It looks like we'll max out our rooms at 32 students, and the room isn't that large (perfect would be around 24). And the pay is low, coming from business. I've never worked for money, but I am aware that we have bills to pay, so a bigger salary would be nice.

I think every job has it's pros and cons. After going into so many positions thinking they were 'dream positions', I'm very hesitant to call this one. It's only a matter of time before something comes up. Although this makes me sound super cynical, which I'm really not.

27. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

A dream job for me would be close to my family and would have supportive administration. I've really liked almost all of my jobs (except for the charter I was at for one semester), so I think I could adapt and end up loving almost any job.

28. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

swansong, I have always wondered about that term as well! I see it thrown around on the job seekers board so much, and I just don't understand what it even means! For a lot of people, it seems to mean a middle-upper class suburban school with high test scores, but that is far from my personal dream. I guess "dream job" depends on the particular person!

My "dream job" would be -
    - primarily low-income student population
    - English Learners
    - supportive administration
    - hardworking, positive colleagues
    - manageable class sizes
    - primary grades (1st or 2nd, preferably)
    - commutable to a location where we can buy a house and settle down eventually (aka NOT southern CA...but that is another topic for another time...LOL)