dream job....how do i get it!?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eireannashley, Jul 29, 2010.

1. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Alright people I just came across my dream job! I posted earlier today about how depressed I was getting and the funk I am in and I just saw to elementary positions ten minutes from my house in the district I student taught! It is my dream job! I am going to call first thing in the morning to make sure they are still accepting applications because they do not have an online application system and if they are then I am going to drop off my information tomorrow...but what else can I do? Any suggestions!? Thank you!

3. Meepers

Meepers Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Here's an idea:

Dress up in interview clothes and drop off your application/resume/cover letter to the school in person. Smile! Key is th make an impression and stopping by in person is better than mailing applications or applying on-line. Explain you live within the area and that you are free anytime for an interview. Ask questions about the position and when they are expected to arrange interviews.

That's the best you can do. If they don't call back within a week, follow up.

4. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Thanks Meepers...I am feeling confident : )

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

Agreed...this is actually how I landed my very first job :)

6. Meepers

Meepers Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Yea... basically, dropping off an application in person gives the receiver an insight of who you are. The more interpersonal you are (since teachers have to be very interpersonal), the more qualified you seem. You're also networking and picking up more information, so when that interview comes you are prepared to give them what they want. I've picked up more interviews by making a personal appearance. But DO keep in mind that it isn't 100% if you don't get an interview. I wish you luck.

7. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Jul 29, 2010

Do you have any contacts with the school that can put in a good word for you? Master teachers? Never forget the power of contacts to get you in the door...so you can show them why you are the dream candidate for them!:)

8. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Actually it is the district that I student taught in back in 2007. I have my cooperating teacher for a recommendation and also a long time family friend (sorta like my second mom) is a secretary in one of the schools.

Thanks for the positive advice!

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

Good luck eireann! What part of IL are you in if you dont mind me asking. I hope something comes from this for you!

10. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

I went and they were closed! So I am getting ready to go first thing tomorrow.

And bre, I am about 45 mins south of Chi.

Thanks for the luck and advice everyone.

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

Good luck. Now is not the time to be shy. Call your CT and the secretary friend and tell them you are trying to get an interview for this position. Hopefully, they will call someone and put in a few kind words.

12. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

oh okay erie, I am about a hour and a half south of the city. Wish you the best of luck tomorrow :)

13. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Be in their face about it...literally. Show up and be your fabulous self. Call to follow up often, but not in an annoying way...email if appropriate. ALWAYS send thank you emails to those you spoke to on the phone so they see your name and think about pushing your application through...no matter how short the conversation is, detailed info given or not. If you have connections, all the better. Have them call on your behalf for "character references". Do you have extras? (Website, brochure, DVD of you teaching)...Hand those in as well. Whatever it takes to make you stand out from the rest.
    I landed my dream job this summer and did all these things. I created an online portfolio, brochure, AND submitted a DVD of me teaching JUST for THIS job. I wanted it badly and I let them know it. People want to hire people who WANT the job, who WANT to be there. It's tough out there...Be aggressive, don't be shy! Good luck!

14. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

So I emailed and told her I would be coming in the following day with my information and I gave her the link to my online portfolio. I didnt hear anything but I went the next day to drop off and she was not in. They were super nice and said she would be in meetings for the next two days. So I left the packet I made and I want to call on Thursday but I am not sure what to say. I know what to say if she doesnt answer but not if she does lol. Any ideas?

15. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Call and ask if she received your packet and what the next steps are in the application/hiring process. Ask when you MIGHT be hearing from them. For some reason, I get a better response from people when I use the word "might", I think its because it's kind of letting them know that I'm not pressuring them and I'm not demanding and I'm sympathetic to them having to do other things. Ex: Hello Ms. X my name is _____. I dropped of an application packet for review for the open ______ position on ______ day. I was just calling to make sure that you received the packet. I know that you're probably very busy, but I have one or two basic questions regarding the application process if you wouldn't mind answering them. (Ask questions here.) Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!"
    Keep the conversation short because you know shes busy and you are sympathetic to that. ;P
    After the conversation (not right away though), email her another quick thank you for answering your questions. Again, make it quick...I would do no more than 4 sentences tops.
    Ex: Hello Ms. ____!
    Thank you for speaking with me on the phone this morning/afternoon regarding the open ____ position. I appreciated the time you took in answering my questions regarding the application and hiring process. Should you need any additional information, please feel free to email me at _____ or call _____. I hope to hear from you soon!
    Sincerely,
    _____