Dream bathroom?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MsMar, Aug 4, 2009.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009

So we had planned to move this summer, but twice had buyers pull out so we're no longer moving. What we are going to do however is upgrade our house. We're definitely totally redoing our master bathroom. So, help me out here. If you could redesign your bathroom, what would you want it to look like? Links to photos would be awesome!

All I know for sure is that I want a jacuzzi tub. Other than that, I am wide open to suggestions. I don't have a particular style other than not being drawn to a country look. We have a decent amount of space to work with.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2009

Oh, I love going to model homes just to see the decor & furnishings! I LOVE color & modern/contemprary style personally.

For the bathroom, I'm NOT a fan of those detached tubs, like this photo from Google: :(

http://voices.realestate.co.nz/christchurch/files/2009/01/modern-bathroom.jpg

I do like the looks of those modern sinks that look like a dish just sitting on the counter, but it seems uncomfortable when you're leaning over to brush your teeth or wash your face. I hope your bathroom has a window because mine doesn't & I hate that!

I LOVE these bathroom looks: :D

http://www.bathrooms4udirect.co.uk/news/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/modern-bathroom-design.jpg

http://www.movemodern.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/cadoro-bathroom-fontane-6.jpg

http://www.hometrnds.de/wp-content/...athroom-accessories-and-sinks-mastertecno.jpg

The styles on these pages are different:

http://www.furniturestoreblog.com/bathroom/index.html?page=2

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

Hopefully we will do this in the near future.

THings I want: heated tile floor (MI winters are sooooooo cold)
    have the jacuzzi tub-will keep it!!
    Huge shower with multiple shower heads

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009

MsI, I see you enjoy modern bathrooms! I never would have thought. :)

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2009

:D

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2009

I eventually want to redo our master bath. I want:

~2 separate vanities like this (though not in that color combo with granite tops
    ~two windows with separate lights overhead
    ~I want to remove a wall to extend our shower with this tile accented with something like this.
    ~and a storage unit like this.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 4, 2009

Make sure the sink is not too shallow. The shallow sink is really hot right now, but it isn't terribly user friendly. I know -- I have one.

I really, really, really like the higher height vanity. No more bending over to brush your teeth. I know that after surgery it was nice to have something high and sturdy to hold on to when getting cleaned-up in the morning.

The last thing is this -- really plan out where you want the toilet paper dispenser. Don't leave this as an after thought, or you will end up with some awkward placement that makes you have to twist, stretch, and lean to get to it. Remember, the toilet paper is something you use more than ANYTHING in a bathroom, and yet, 99% of the time, people just stick the dispenser "where-ever there is room left." Make its placement a priority!!!!

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 4, 2009

We just built 3 years ago, and I love our bath. Here's what I love about it:

Separate shower and toilet area from the sinks.
    Jacuzzi tub (a MUST)
    2 sinks
    2 big windows (but we live in the country, so privacy is not an issue)

Here's what I wish we had:
    Heated tile
    A bigger shower (just a stall now, sufficient, but I want the nice big tile one with the seat)
    A pocket door between the shower/toilet and the rest of the bathroom
    More storage-we have one whole wall that has nothing on it, it would be nice to have cupboards there.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009

We redid ours this year. I love the roomy shower! We went with clear glass doors, and I like them a lot, because you can see the tile work in the shower.

The room isn't that big, so we couldn't put the toilet in its own little closet, but we had a pony wall built between it and the side of the shower. Since the glass starts halfway up, it creates another ledge for bottles and stuff in the shower, so that's nice. If I had been thinking hard, I would have had that wall built thicker, because we included a niche on the toilet side for "personal necessities," (like moist wipes) but it would be more practical if it was deeper.

We also got the higher cabinets and two sinks (finally!) I especially love the roomy drawers between the two sinks.

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

Jacuzzi tubs are a big upkeep item in a place where things tend to grow. Thought you should know.

While I lived in Idaho, I had a chance to peek into a newly built mansion. The tile work in the bathroom was slate. The shower was installed to the ceiling where it had a rain type shower head plus a bench. The drain was set so that it was lower than the rest of the floor so there was no ledge leaving the shower. There was also a bench. Did I mention their was a bench?

Nearby just around a separation wall was the jacuzzi tub surrounded by the same tile and the toilet had it's own partitioned area as well.

The neatest feature to this BR was the in floor heating system. Never a cold footsie even during the coldest winter.

The BR was palatial and immaculate like the entire house but unfortunately I think the house sold for somewhere in the neighborhood of 700K. Way out of my range. No pictures, I'm afraid.

Good luck with the remodel.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2009

Our bathroom is very basic and was cheap, but I do really like it. Most important was that my husband and I had separate vanities and that we had a separate shower and tub. I did NOT want a tile or glass shower because I knew I wouldn't keep it clean and I like the softness of a curtain. And I've always loved shower curtain hooks. :)

The one thing I should have done was put tile around the tub for practical purposes, but the magazine the tub was in showed it without a tile surround and I wanted mine to look just like it. :) Oh, and now that I have a Jacuzzi, I don't have time to enjoy it!

13. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

If you're thinking about getting the higher toilet (nice for tall people) sit on it awhile and see how comfy (ahem) it is. My hubby loves it, I don't. I am a tad too short for it to be comfy. I use my son's step stool for my feet!!!

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2009

We have two taller toilets and then accidently bought the regular size for a third bath, and we HATE the regular size. I'm below average heighth but I really "enjoy" the taller toilets.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 5, 2009

Oooh, thanks for all the advice guys! I would never have thought of heated tiles, very interesting thought. I know keeping the jacuzzi tub clean will take some effort, but I really want one. It's a must!

I didn't even know toilets came in different heights! I mean other than sometimes seeing ones that seem awfully low. And thanks for the tip about thinking where to put the toilet paper.

A shower large enough to have a bench in there would be nice as well.

At this point we're not sure if we'll end up redoing the current master bath or actually do an addition with a new master suite. Kind of comes down to how much money we want to spend (duh!).

Keep the suggestions coming! I am such a novice at this!!