Dreading Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Lindzee82, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Sep 2, 2010

Today was our first day of school and it was AWFUL. I have never had a group behave this horribly before. I just don't know what to do and do not want to go back tomorrow!

I have 22 students and I am all by myself with them. My room is not that big. These kiddos had absolutely no desire to listen to me or follow any sort of directions. They talked while I was talking, wrestled, ran around the room. The did not listen to anything!!!!! I have no authority in the room and I am not sure where it went wrong and how it happened so quickly.

How can I start off tomorrow and get them on track so that I can teach rules, routines, procedures, etc. I just don't know what to do. I have never seen this before. My kiddos always come in on the first day shy and ready to learn what we are going to do. Not these kids.

Help! :D:help::confused::thanks:

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2010

I've never worked with this age group so I don't have any advice or suggestions but I did want to say I'm sorry this happened to you and I know you must be feeling bad now but remember that those children need you (and I hope someone has good strategies you can apply to get them under control). Best wishes!:hugs:

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 2, 2010

I think it must be in the water. My class is the same way!! I only have 17 of them and I have an aide thank goodness! Are you letting them play at all to get some of the energy out? Also, it has to be this heat. We couldn't go outside today, did you P let you take the kids out?

5. TeacherMom85

TeacherMom85 Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

I'm in the same boat! 22 kids (2nd graders) and they don't know the meaning of the words "stop talking". They can't stay in their seats and will not quit talking. I'm at a loss, nothing I'm trying is working. :(

6. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Sep 2, 2010

Jaime - I am hoping it is just the heat because then that will mean there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just don't know. We actually were dismissed at 12 today due to the heat. That totally did not help the matter.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2010

I hope tomorrow is a much better day for you.... hugs to you...

8. dxj6482

dxj6482 Rookie

Sep 3, 2010

I can understand and sympathize! Mine are the same too! To top it off they allowed a boy who was kicked out of PreK last year and diagnosed as needing to go to the IU back into K. I spend all my time and energy trying to make sure he is safe that some of the other kids who need my attention are out of control. Today he licked a dead spider off the floor! When I asked him to spit it out, he swallowed it! My school social worker is trying to get him out, but I just heard we have to start the paperwork all over again! :help:

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Sep 4, 2010

I think the first few weeks are tough - I realized this year about half my class (33 kids - I'm teaming with another full time teacher) have never been to pre-school or daycare - so it's a little rough. We literally took a motor break (simple stretching, songs, game, etc.) about every 8 minutes. It helped. :)

10. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 4, 2010

Oh DXJ I am sorry, I burst out laughing about the licking the spider off the floor. I once had a child who ATE a caterpillar she found on the playground. I almost lost my lunch on that one.

11. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2010

I hope Friday went better for you. I have a few challenges this year, too, but I did see incremental improvement over the course of our first week (which was a full 5 days in ridiculous heat).

Firm, fair, and consistent. Make that your mantra. Don't slide on your expectations. Be sure to keep things developmentally appropriate.

I was much sterner this first week than I usually am for a first week of school, but I felt that I had to be.

12. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 4, 2010

I agree sevenplus, you have the set the tone now for the rest of the year, and unfortunately it means being tougher, but with love of course. I hope you have a good weekend Lindzee, do something fun for yourself.