Dreading Return to School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutelilram, Jul 30, 2014.

1. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

Don't get me wrong, I love teaching. I just don't love the school I work at. There is so much gossip and favoritism at the school that it turns my stomach. On top of that, the students are off the wall and there is very little support. I tried to get out this summer and I came close but I haven't had any luck.

Do any of you teach at a school where you are not happy? How do you deal with it?

3. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Jul 30, 2014

I worked at a school where the principal was very vindictive and had spies who would report back to her. The staff moral was very poor and she would retaliate against people who ever dared to voice their opinions. It took me two years to get out of there. I really just tired different methods to keep work at work and relax when I got home. I started doing hot yoga that helped a lot, if you are into that, it's really a stress reliever. I guess I just also kept my focus on my kids and tried to ignore everything else. Just a side note, that principal was actually fired the year after I left for embezzling school funds. The state pressed charges against her, but never heard much more.

4. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

Thank you, your old principal sounds a lot like my principal and APs. I have sent out other resumes but I am resigning myself to the fact that I have to return there. I have already determined that I am not going to talk to the spies and anyone who even appears friendly with the higher ups. I will look into the yoga. I know that this is going to be a tough year. Thanks for the advice.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 30, 2014

I'm sorry you don't enjoy your school. I hope you find a better place next year.

I love my school and I love teaching, but I definitely sympathize with the dread of returning to school right now. It's more just a "oh god, there is so much I still need to get done!" and "I'm not sure I'm ready to face students yet!" kind of dread.

A member of my cohort was telling me how pumped and excited she was to be starting the new year and how much she didn't want the previous year to end. I was like "Nope, can't even fake my enthusiasm right now."

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 30, 2014

Who knows what the beginning of each year brings? I had a most pleasant change in administration at the beginning of last year and have been ten times happier than I was previously.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

WOW! I had the same experience about a decade ago in a different state. I ended up leaving that school and moving back to our home state, where my experiences were much more positive.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 1, 2014

I understand where you're coming from. I have a lot of similar issues at my school and I tried to get out too.

I'm not thrilled to be going back because....​

1. Our P has spies and plays favorites

2. I am a new team leader with two new teachers, one teacher transferring from 5th grade, and one teacher who is loathed by the administration.

3. We're adopting a new curriculum (learning curve)

4. I work in a low-income, urban area, so we have a lot of children who are off the wall and their parents are so busy trying to keep afloat, they can't support us.

4. Our admin also rarely do in or out of school suspensions

5. All the women from my old team have transferred or moved. (adios comfort zone/support network)

6. I'm a different race than almost everyone on my hall. So while they're friendly, they relate to one another on a cultural level that I don't/can't. It makes me feel left out sometimes.

I handle it by trying to focus on the positive like...​

1. I've been here long enough to earn a good reputation with the parents, students, faculty/staff, and most importantly, the administration.

2. I have one of the better classrooms in the bldg in that I have several windows, lots of storage space and my classroom is no longer overrun by mice.

3. I've got a good rapport with most of the para's, custodians, cafeteria workers and other support staff, so they look out for me. (ie: para's will cover me when I need bathroom, custodians fill my requests quickly)

4. Our copy machine doesn't have a limit, so I can make as many copies as I need w/o penalty.

5. I have a loving husband, friends and family outside of work which is a blessing.

6. We're far from rich, but comfortable enough that I don't have to work during the summer and other holidays

7. I get a little extra $ at the end of the year for being team leader

8. I work in a school where I'm not micromanaged. Aside from official observations, they don't check up on me. At my old school, the P and VP were constantly "popping in" and usually it'd be at the worse moment.

9. I have a teaching job (so many people on here and offline have a really hard time getting a job in education. the market is really rough in more desirable areas)

10. My state still has tenure (for now anyway)

11. I can come on A to Z (and my former teammates) when I need help/guidance/to vent. :atoz_love:

12. As team leader, I get a new printer this year. It's really big and made to make really fast copies unlike the cheap one I had to buy for myself when I wasn't TL

:hugs: Try to look for the positive. It helps. But don't stop trying to get out if you're that unhappy at your current school! Even though I'm being positive, I'm also being realistic and will continue to look into other schools for the 2015 - 2016 school year.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2014

I LOVE your positive attitude.

I agree, try to focus on the positive and, in the mean time, you can look for other opportunities. Good luck!

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 1, 2014

Aw, thanks TamiJ. Believe me, when school starts, it'll be a lot harder to stay positive, so I'm trying to start building up my "armor" now:p

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2014

My school used to be my dream school but has quickly gone downhill because of a few teachers who have such a negative attitude that they poison the environment. Unfortunately, two of them are part of MY department so I have to hear them every day. :( They put down students and belittle everyone's efforts. I honestly have never met such unhappy, ugly teachers like these two. I sincerely hope they will be retiring soon so that the rest of us can continue enjoying our careers without having to see them every day. These are the types who emotionally drain you. I don't like them.