Dread the day before spring break

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by JackTrader, Apr 5, 2010.

1. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 5, 2010

I took an assignment for this Friday, which is the last day before spring break next week. This will be for a high school, special education teacher, teaching basic skills. I anticipate that there will be an IA in the class.

I am dreading this because I am anticipating that the kids will be really NOT at all attentive, totally out of it because their minds will be looking forward to getting out of school. Potentially a lot of discipline problems.

Any thoughts or tips that I should do to make it a good day? Besides cancel the assignment (which I am loathe to do because I will not have any work next week due to spring breaks, at all 3 districts I am listed at)?

3. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Apr 5, 2010

If the day goes the way I think it will then it will be like a free day with little work so just bewere that no one really wants to be there and be more relaxed but don't let them get away with anything. I can't belive you guys are having spring break so late we had our back in the 2nd week of march which it seems to always fall that the college I attend has SB the same week the city schools do which is awesome for me!!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 5, 2010

I have no idea, Idon't work w/ high schoolers & that's by choice. Maybe at the start of each period, just remind them that you know they're all excited about spring break & to not goof off. Then, smile & say that in a few more hrs, the day will be over! Then, just do the best you can. :)

5. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 9, 2010

It worked out well today

I just completed the assignment. The kids were pretty good today. It helped that there was an IA in the room who was familiar with what needed to be done and the routine, plus as a special ed classroom, they were small classes.

I was prepared to add something like exit cards if they totally didn't do anything, but that wasn't the case. In fact, one class had a test they had to do - and many of them needed more time, so they came to the study skills period to complete it.

Happy Spring Break to all!

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

Glad it went good! Our spring break was 2 weeks ago....now 7 more weeks without a day off!

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 10, 2010

Happy Spring break!