Drawing Conclusions

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by kidsr#1, Dec 9, 2011.

1. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Dec 9, 2011

I need help with ideas for how to teach drawing conclusions. The last few years it is one of the skills on the MAP test that we are weak in. I have tried using pictures (partly covered), smart board games, modelling, read-a-louds. We've made anchor charts with "Take what you already know in your head" and "put it with what you read"...

It doesn't seem to carry over.... Help!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2011

When the students are reading on their own, try giving them choices. If they are really struggling, start with only two choices. What do you think will happen (this or that)? What conclusion can you make (this or that)? Then ask them to tell you why. What in the text or what do they know that let's them make this conclusion.

It might be good to also use science for this skill. Set up an experiment or lab for the kids. Explain the process, but before completing the experiment ask the students to draw a conclusion and state why they think that.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2011

I tell my kids they have to be like investigators. What do the clues tell them? They can do this most easily when drawing conclusions about the characters. Good or bad? Why? Of course by third grade, I imagine they would go into more depth, but you can start with something as basic as that.