Drat. New student.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 16, 2008

I was at 16 kids. What a wonderful, round, easily divisable number.

Then a new student registered yesterday. Apparently this student was a student last year, and the mother just assumed the student was registered again for this year. It's a private school, and she never filled paperwork out or paid. Hello????

So, a week before school starts, I have to completely re-do all my class lists and buy one more of everything. This is a MAJOR pain, as most of the stuff I bought was sold in packs of 8, and I got two packs. Now I have to buy a whole 'nother set of mini-chip clips, as I need TWO more ($5.99 a pack for 8). I have to put together a whole 'nother welcome kit (I should have bought extras, but I didn't, so I'm going to have to hunt everything down again). I'm going to have to make up another writer's binder, another I-SPY binder, re-do my poster for reading pillows/chairs-EVERYTHING.

This stinks. To make matters worse, it sounds like this mother has an air of entitlement (told to me by the principal), and was upset last year when her daughter was asked to have a classroom job.

Yippee.

I feel very sympathetic for all who have students added AFTER school starts.

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 16, 2008

Jem, that's too bad. What's the cap in your school? In the past we probably wouldn't have let that parent re-enroll... though in tight times like now, we would. I almost always buy at least one extra set of everything because kids lose things. Since I often find things in sets of 12, I buy 2, but then it just makes sense to buy 3, so I have enough for next year too. Ug. I did that for a few things this year. I keep going to the office to make sure no one was moved from my class or un-enrolled or something. 16 is a great number, and I don't want 15 as it will mess everything up!!

I think there have been a lot of parent complaints about placement this year. Our cap is 16 but usually we have 12-14 kids in a class. We cut a teacher and filled everyone up. Parents were mad. I know there was at 3 complaints from people in my class. 1) the child who was the oldest-- mom is worried about him being with young kids and not having his needs met academically (despite the fact that he is dysgraphic and dyslexic), 2) A class size issue, and 3) a mystery issue -- my mind is making up crazy stories as I worked with the parent on a big project last year so she knows me well and has seen me with my students. ???

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 16, 2008

Well, the good thing is that you'll have spares of everything now in case something gets lost or broken. :D

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2008

Since school started just a bit over a week ago, I have lost a few and gained a few...it seems numbers are constantly changing. I find myself wondering about those students who come on the third day of school...where have you been!? They mostly answer: vacation. Grrr!!!

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2008

Yuck! I'm sorry about that. It is really hard to get things ready when the enrollment doesn't stop in a good enough period of time. I have 20 so far but we never know until the day before if this will stick. We always have kids enter after the year begins and it is tricky to get everything together because most of the stuff is alphabatized! I totally sympathize with you!!!!!!!

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2008

Yup, that's why I always buy a few extras of everything. A couple years ago, the week before school I had 22 on my list, then the day before school started, my numbers went up to 29. I wasn't prepared and I had to re do everything--desk set up, numbering system, class lists, everything!!

This year, I'm waiting.

I feel for ya!

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 16, 2008

I looked last night and my class numbers went from 22 to 25! I had copied some stuff for 25 and lately I have been doing 24. Our lists are never final until after school starts. We had registration but half of them never come. Or they want to move their student to another class. I would love to have your low numbers!

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2008

I make 30 of everything at the beginning of the year. Right now I'm told I have 21 on my roster, but I'm sure I'll get several more before the school year starts, and then even more a couple of weeks into school. And then a random family will show up at my classroom door some February morning before school with the secretary who will say "This is ____. She'll be starting in your classroom this morning." That happens several times every year. Oh, and then there's the child who has been in your class all along and then they are absent one day and you never, ever see them again. No closure and sometimes no explanation. Just a disconnected phone number.

I know, it's lousy Jem. Look on the bright side. Maybe you could make it all the way up to 24. You could do equitable groups of 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, or 12!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2008

:lol::lol:
    I always get ready for 4 or 5 more kids than I have on my initial list. One year I had 24 on the first day, was down to 23 the second, and by the end of September I had 29!

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 16, 2008

I know in my school, I could have anywhere from 16 students to 29 students!!! And we don't get out class lists until preservice week, and they will change at least 4 or five times before the first day of class. Then we will have parents who don't bother registering until the first day, the first week, and often, the first month. Then there will be those who will change classes because their parent requests it (I get a lot of parents who request to be in my class, and our principal usually grants it.. so that muddles things even further.)

I guess I wouldn't be too flustered by 1 addition student a week before school starts. One year, I had 16 on my list, and by the 2nd day, I had 29!!! And the number never got any smaller. Now, that was a frustrating year!

12. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

I am in a public school, so my situation is much different, but last year I had a 28 on my original roster (my max is 30). At least 6, maybe 8 students didn't even show up on the first day so my classroom was given ALL the new students entering 5th grade. I got new students clear through April last year. It was ridiculous! I have a full roster this year, so I'm sincerely hoping that all my students show up so the same thing doesn't happen again this year!

13. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, our classrooms are getting 10-14 new kids each after some local schools failed AYP. Only problem for me is that I teach the SECME engineering classes. I suddenly need more supplies and robot kits.

14. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

I was extremely fortunate to have started off the year with the same kidos that I finished with (although 2 I didn't meet/didn't enroll until the first day). The teacher next to me, had a student enroll 2 days before state testing.

I bought for 30 (we were told that 3rd grade was sending up 28 each) so I would have extras.

Right now I'm low man on the roster list with 25.

15. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

That's the life of a teacher. I am at a school where we have new kids come in and out all year long. I always make extra sets so that it is a very easy transition. Instead of being frustrated that you have another kid, try to think of it this way. You get the opportunity to enlighten another child's life.

16. Chas

Chas Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I guess you can take solace in the fact that you have about half the number of students that some teachers have!

17. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2008

Sorry Jem, I know it's a pain! I'm another one that has kids in and out all year, so I know what it is like. I had 8 on my roster as of the last day of school in June, I'll probably be up to 14 or 15 when we get back, and I'll have 18 or 19 the first day of school (our cap is 18, but that doesn't always matter...). I had two boys come in after Easter last year, and they didn't pass exit criteria of the city...it was no fault of their own, they just weren't there to learn it all year! So, they will be in kinder again....*sigh*. I guess that's the job. Good luck Monday Jem!

18. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

No matter what my number is in June I always plan for at least 3 to 4 more students. That way I am prepared when the school year starts and if I get any new students during the year (5 new ones from Nov. to Feb. last year) I don't have to go scrambling for supplies. I also have extra packets for parents that I can hand out when new students come in. Many times parents change jobs or they are transferred to another city. So it is inevitable that teachers get new students prior to the start and during the year.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2008

We get new enrollees every year. I usually have a high student count to begin with compared to my grade level collegues (22 this year compared to 19, 20, 21) so any new kids will go first to the other teachers to even things out. Plus there usually are mid- year move ins and outs...It's best to have extra supplies for just such events.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2008

I'm at a military base, so the numbers can change constantly! Last year I had a student just show up the first day. Luckily I had an extra desk. I happened to get the class that stayed the same, so I had 25 pretty much all year. Another teacher had the revolving classroom that went from 24 to 18 and then started going back up!

But I agree with you on buying extra-I had 25 and everything I wanted was in packs of 12! I hated buying another package for one more!

21. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

I teach 3 year olds and have their names everywhere. Parents fill out forms telling us what they would like their child called (full name or nickname). It never fails that some parent comes in the first day changing her mind and wants little "Mike" called by his full name "Michaelangelo". So now everything has to be changed (plus he has a whopper to learn to spell).

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 16, 2008

I've taught public for the past three years, and had about 30 kids. I should have been prepared for this, but I guess I figured a private school would stop enrolling earlier than a public school, simply because this is a pain for everyone! We start on the 25th. But, I'm sure they want the tuiton, and it's a returning student. I'm sure it will be ok. I just don't have everything in front of me, so it's overwhelming to think about everything I'm going to have to re-do. Ah, well. I'm sure this student will be a delightful addition to the class-it's never the same without everyone, and she's part of everyone now!!

23. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

Aww, that sounds so sad:(

24. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 16, 2008

I teach at a private school and, as long as we have room, we will enroll students all the way up to April 15.

25. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

As hard as it is, I would rather have it the week before school then in the middle of school (or a few days after school starts).

And, since you've had 30 before, you know that 17 isn't so bad.

I do get that it is annoying to have to rearrange labels and things that are in alphabetical order. :0(

26. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

Yuck. I'm at 16 second graders and 10 third graders right now (school hasn't started yet). I reeeeally want to keep those numbers--I am with you on the easily divisible thing!

Last year, though, I had two kids who were registered decide not to come, and didn't say anything--they just didn't show up, and after a few days, we figured out they weren't going to. So my grade book had whiteout from the first week of school. :( This year I am not even filling it out until the first week of school is done, lol--I'll have attendance recorded on another sheet and then copy it over or something. I am too much of a perfectionist...

27. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2008

Same here, I hate having lines that are crossed out...I keep everything on those little charts from the mailbox the first few days and then transfer everything into the gradebook after about a week or two...but still, I have to add kids non-alphabetically throughout the year and it always throws me off!

28. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2008

I used to teach at a year round school and our first day of school was right after the 4th of July.

In late August, we'd get bombarded with new students who's families moved here thinking school started at the end of the summer.

29. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

Oooh, I hated that! I wound up adding one kid to a whited-out space, and then later adding another kid down at the bottom. Both were (obviously) out of place, alphabetically. Filing papers and entering grades was so tedious--I would put everything in gradebook order, then go to return papers, but the kids' files were in alpha order not gradebook order--I'm probably not making sense, lol, but it was irritating at the time.

30. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 17, 2008

Last year, I was supposed to have 13. Our numbers rarely change, but on the first day, one of the students who had lived here for YEARS just didn't show up. Rumored to be going to live with an uncle or someone in Iowa. So I was kind of happy, I had 12, nice even number, plus that family was notoriously difficult, so I was pleased.

Oh, no-he shows up the third day of school. Changed his mind. Yeah, after we had spent 2 days going over rules, procedures, policies, a lot of fun basic stuff that we use all the time. PLUS he came with no supplies, nothing. I had already gotten rid of the extra desk, set up my groups, assigned jobs-REMADE my job list with 12 jobs-GRRRR.

I am supposed to have 16 this year. I am happy with that-another nice even number. Even if I lost one (more likely than gaining), 15 is OK. I really don't want 17-what a difficult prime number!

I feel your pain Jem.

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 17, 2008

One thing that I do, due to my OCD-like tendencies, is put names in my gradebook skipping a line (I've never had more than 22, so I have the room). That way if I get a new student, I can put them where they belong alphabetically.

It's not so much the NEED to have them alphabetical, but because it is a pain to enter grades into our online gradebook when one student is out of place. I have to keep both, and the online one alphabetizes instead of adding them on to the end.

32. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

The sad thing is that if I did that, I'd be irritated that all the other names had a blank line in between them, and then there were three names all right next to each other. I am way too hung up on this kind of stuff, lol. You'd NEVER EVER suspect me of being anal about the way things look, though, if you ever took a look at my desk (or my house, for that matter)! I'm the type that can have a sink full of dishes, but darn it, the three mugs that are clean are arranged just so, with handles facing the same way, etc.

33. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 17, 2008

Oh, I hear ya. It bothers me too, but not as much as having them out of order. My old grading program would let me modify the names of students, so I could change them to be at the end. For example, I would make Joe Smith be zSmith, Joe. That way it would alphabetize him to the end, then right before I would submit grades to the office, I would take off the 'z'. But I can't do that with the new one.

34. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

What are these gradebooks you speak of? Do you mean gradebooks that are actually like a book, with paper pages and such? I think I remember having an algebra teacher (God rest his soul) who used one.

35. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 17, 2008

We have to keep a computerized and hard copy of our gradebooks. Double work...yay!

36. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

Ya gotta roll with the punches.

I went from 18 to 26 students in one day last week (school hasn't started here yet), when we lost a section.

37. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

teacherkenny~I choose to use our computerized grade book and we have to have a paper copy also-I just print it out each Friday so I'm not doing double work.

38. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

I haven't seen my class list yet, but I fully expect it to have anywhere from 24-36 names on it. Our P just expects that 15% of the kids that are registered won't show up. I don't assign numbers, mail boxes etc until the end of the 1st week or whenever numbers begin to level out. I also don't do name tags, just sentence strips for name tags at the beginning of the year!

39. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 17, 2008

Hey Jem want a good laugh,

We have been in class for 11 days and here's what has happened so far:

1) Original list had 19 on it. (cap is 21)
    2) Day of open house (hour before) one child was moved from my class and I had another added.
    3) During open house a transfer student realized I was "her friend" (his teacher from last year at the other school that Mom hadn't seen "eye to eye" with)
    4) Day one of school 14 show up out of the 20
    5) Day two I am up to 16 (still 4 no shows)
    6) Day four I find out the "transfer" is being transferred to the co-teaching class per mom's request. I am getting one that was "inadvertently retained" in 2nd grade.
    7) ALSO on day four I get two new students (THREE NEW STUDENTS IN ONE DAY)
    8) Day six I find out that a 2nd grader will be coming to me during my small group reading time giving me 21 during small groups.

So you can guess that I am just hoping that I don't have any changes for a while. :)

40. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

At a private school in Marin County? No way! I'm shocked!:)

41. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 17, 2008

OMG!!! This is so funny. I am happy to see that I am not the only OCD person when it comes to students and gradebooks. I have been in school for one week already and I am still unwilling to create my gradebook because of student issues.

I was supposed to have 22 kids: the first day of school only 17 showed up. Throughout the week I found out that two of them withdrew and one was starting a week late. Officially - 20 kids. That still left two students unaccounted for.

Then I found out I am getting a new student on Monday. Officially - 21 kids, still unsure about the missing 2. And then, one of my kids from last year wants to transfer to my room so I may have another student by the end of next week. Possibly 22 kids again.... There is no way I can create a gradebook with that much movement!!!!:eek::rolleyes:

At least I am not alone...;)