dramatic play suggestions

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teach1, Aug 28, 2014.

1. teach1

teach1 Companion

Aug 28, 2014

hello everyone,

my school has a dramatic play area with a permanent section and a section that always changes. The permanent section includes a living area section and also a kitchen section. The rotating section changes based on what we are learning.

For example... learning about transportation = airport, train station, auto shop.
    learning about professions= police station, post office, vet office
    etc.

What are some suggestions to go along with the idea of "all about me" for the beginning of the school year?

I was thinking of possibly doing a bathroom area (students could brush teeth, wash their face, etc). but I feel like maybe I am missing something obvious that is more interesting for the students.

Thanks in advance.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2014

What about keeping it simple - dress up clothes?

4. teach1

teach1 Companion

Aug 28, 2014

thanks for responding.
    sorry, I'm realizing I wasn't clear at first. In the living section we already have dress up clothes.

I'm trying to move away from "house" rooms..... which is why I wasn't 100% sold on my bathroom idea.

it also doesn't have to be a "PLACE" ...... I think some great tools and props that I could set up to provoke students to think about themselves would also work. I just can't think of what...

5. teach1

teach1 Companion

Aug 28, 2014

but, of course it could be a place!! :)

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 28, 2014

What about lots of types of mirrors?

7. teach1

teach1 Companion

Aug 28, 2014

I think mirrors are a wonderful idea! Maybe with some paper and art supplies to see what the children create.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

8. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Aug 29, 2014

Doctor's Office

9. teach1

teach1 Companion

Aug 29, 2014

Thanks mrgrinch! Great idea, a nice way for them to explore their health and bodies in general

10. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 30, 2014

I actually like your bathroom idea! Other things that popped into mind: beauty salon/barber shop. You could add dolls with hair that you can brush/style, mirrors, etc.

a restaurant (like pizza place, or ice cream parlor) something that you know the kids enjoy. Learning about their favorite things (like pizza toppings or ice cream flavors!) is a great lesson for all about me!

Also, for the mirror idea someone posted, you could get an emotions poster that shows different kinds of emotions and they can practice making the faces in the mirror (sad-frown, happy-smile,etc!)

11. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Sep 2, 2014

My only thought on this, is that at the beginning of the year, keep it simple. I think when we put out just basic home environment things: dress up clothes, dishes, home props, we can introduce children to the idea of dramatic play and observe and watch where it goes and build from there? Mirrors are important!