dramatic play/dress-up

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by preteach, Aug 7, 2012.

1. preteach

preteach Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

I am wondering how many (if any) costumes or dress-up items you have in your dramatic play area. I would like to use occupation items for this center, but the costumes are so much money. Any suggestions? How many of the same costume do you have?
    Thanks in advance.

3. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 7, 2012

I buy lots of costume Nov 1 when they are 90% off after Halloween. I don't usually have more then 1 of the same costume and I change out my costumes every month at least.

4. preteach

preteach Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

Good idea! Thanks :)

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 7, 2012

I buy dress up clothes from resale shops like Salvation Army. They last a lot longer than Halloween type costumes. You could also ask parents to donate items from their work place. That way your dramatic play area will reflect the community in which the children live.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

I struggle with that area. How often do you change your theme in Dramatic Play and does it always coincide with your teaching theme? I want to do an apple stand theme in mine, but what do you do for a basket of apples? Real ones? Paper ones?
    Costumes are just not my thing for the kids because they don't support my themes. I get most items from thrift stores and rummage sales. Do you?

7. preteach

preteach Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

That is the direction I want to go this year, Grammy /teacher.

8. preteach

preteach Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

And I am wondering the same things :)

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

In the past we had a source of apples for the kids to "play with" in that area, but not anymore and I'm not about to go buy good apples for them to destroy. I am thinking just paper ones and if they trash them, no big deal!
    We do apple tasting and graphing as an activity, but that's not wasteful because they actually at those!
    I just find Dramatic Play especially difficult to come up with good ideas. They will be excited for about 2 days with a new set up, and then they just aren't interested anymore. Most of the time they just want to play with dolls and dishes in there anyway, but we are supposed to change it with themes.

10. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Aug 8, 2012

I have a mix of costumes and real clothing. I buy most of my dress up clothes at thrift stores or garage sales, so if they get ripped it's not a big deal. Some of the items I have in my dress up supplies are: scrubs, Hawaiian shirts, suit coats, jerseys, "princess" dresses, misc shoes and purses, etc. Most of the clothing is adult sized (small or as small as I could find it!). I even found a pant of fireman rubberized pants at a garage sale that use during community helpers theme. Granted, I cut off 95% of the legs on the pants, but the kids think they are awesome! :lol:

11. forkids

forkids Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

You could cut some apples from craft foam - would last longer than paper ones. Cut red, yellow, and green and they can sort/do patterns. For dress up with this theme I would put out overalls, straw hats, bandannas, gloves. In the kitchen put pictures w/words of things made from apples - apple pie, juice, applesauce, etc.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Thank you forkids. I forgot about the craft foam. I might pursue that idea. I have lots of laminated apple posters that I can put in that area as well. They ruin straw hats, so I am reluctant. We used to have many of those.
    Nice ideas!

13. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

I ask the parents to donate old halloween costumes, and any other type of dress up stuff they have- Ive gotten a real police uniform shirt and hat, women's suits which the kids love to look like their moms, and common store shirts (grocery stores, etc)

I change my dramatic play by theme (policy says we are not allowed to have the same theme in there longer then a month). I usually do weekly themes, sometimes monthly. I have done the apple thing- the kids made paper bag apples for a basket. Some other themes I do are :
    Bakery
    Vet's Office
    Doctor's Office
    Restaurant
    Jungle
    Pumpkin Patch
    Christmas Tree Lot or Candy Factory
    Grocery Store
    Dentist
    Fire Station and/or Police Station
    Post Office
    Farm
    Aquarium
    Space Station
    There are more, im just drawing a blank right now! I change out clothes that match the theme if I have them, if I don't have something that matches the theme, I put whatever I have out. We are required to keep all other dramatic play things (kitchen, dishes, dolls, etc) out at all times no matter what the theme is. We are also required to have one dress up costume per child in the class.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

msaly, do they buy any of your costumes of props?

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 10, 2012

I would put a basic batch of dress up clothes. Remember that children need to work on who they are. Clothes that might be mom, dad, or sibling are appropriate. Put some items to carry, especially for Tods, and you are set. (Purses, backpack, lunch pail.)