Dramatic Center - What to Use

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherSandra, Jun 2, 2010.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2010

My center stinks! :p
    While I love the idea of the girls having cute children's heels...I have visions of twisted ankles, bickerings and the idea of changing out shoes...eh :eek:hmy:
    We have purses, wallets, diaper bags (for their baby dolls)...but I have yet to add clothing & hats. What do you do? Do you use adult clothing? And what about the thought of lice?
    I love watching my kids interact in our drama/kitchen area, and they are quite happy. Should I beef it up a bit?
    :confused:

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 2, 2010

I've gotten good clothing from my church's resale... on Saturday morning, it's everything you can fit in a bag for $3... I got a bunch of costumes and clothing :) I've also asked parents for extras and gotten some REALLY good things.

Also remember it doesn't HAVE to be house/dress-up/kitchen... my kids have LOVED doing a dr/vet's office... stapled paper inside a manila folder for "Charts," stuffed animals for patients... dr. kits...

Post office...

Construction area...

4. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Jun 2, 2010

My favorites are my open-ended materials. I have a bunch of large scarfs (I mean as big as a child) that I got from Discount school supply for really cheap. I also have a lot of ribbons, random pieces of cloth, fake flowers and baskets. I have a few hats, but they are all plastic and easy to clean. I also have the staples like a doctor's kit, chefs hat and apron, fireman's uniform, tutu, etc. These are all kids dress up cloths I got either at a garage sale or at the store around Halloween.
    HTH!

5. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jun 2, 2010

When I was lil I loved to use one of my dad's old dress shirts as a doctor/vet coat

6. HappyLearning

HappyLearning Rookie

Jun 2, 2010

As far as lice goes... we do "head checks" every Monday, so we know pretty soon if a child has lice. Whenever we have lice in our room, we wash the clothes. Hot, hot water and hot, hot dryer.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2010

I have many things in our Dramatic Play area such as a pail of silk flowers, baskets, hats and yes high heels (never have anyone get hurt from them!,) sparkly dresses, fireman's uniform, old cell phones, baby dolls and clothes, an old keyboard, keys, full length mirror. I change things now and then.

8. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

I like to include clothing from older boys and girls because they are not as large and difficult for my 3's to put on and take off. Some favorites are tie-dye beach cover-ups, baseball and football jerseys, and old soccer uniforms from local kid teams. I also try to include a shirt or two from our high school team.

9. bex

bex Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

You can always ask parents for donations. We had a doctor parent who donated hats and masks and slippers. We even used to raid the lost and found after no one claimed items after an extended period of time.

And SamIAm is right with the large scarves, I bought some shammies at the dollar store that I had intended to be blankets for the doll basket, but the kids got incredibly creative with them. Everything from hats to aprons to capes to tablecloths and baby slings.

As for lice, with any soft toy you have the threat of lice. Be vigilant and if you're that concerned, throw the cloth toys in the wash once a week.

10. Preschool_Rocks

Preschool_Rocks Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

I also haven't had any children get hurt while wearing high heels. We do have a rule in the dramatic play area though, if you don't wear socks then you can't take off your shoes. We disenfect the shoes weekly and wash the clothes weekly so we haven't had any problems with lice or anything. We also have monthly lice checks so everyones head is usually checked and we also check again if we see children scratching.

I have "daddy shirts," dresses, skirts, aprons, scurbs, ties, jackets, high heels, boots, slippers, ballet shoes and so on. I usually change out my dramatic play area based on the children's interest and based on my lesson plan. This year we've done, a dinosaur nest, grocery store, flower shop, ice cream parlor, outdoor fall area with leaves and rakes, a large spider web, train station, a dance area. We've done alot and the children love when the area is changed.

11. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Jun 3, 2010

I've gotten scraps of material in the reduced bin at the fabric store. Sheer fabric is great in different colors; I also found a silky tiger print fabric. You can tie a knot using 2 corners, so the kids can easily put their head through it & it's a cape. We keep the knots tied all the time, so they can pull them on & off, & teachers don't have to keep tying them constantly. (Of course, they're always well supervised, so no one gets choked.)

We've also gotten some great dress up clothes donated by parents of older kids who needed to get rid of their child's collection. We don't have shoes.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 3, 2010

We love the scarves even more than the real dress up stuff.

13. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Jun 3, 2010

Ok.. I'm embarrassed... scarves, not scarfs. :dizzy:

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2010

:hugs: Quite alright~I hadn't even noticed myself.

15. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 11, 2010

No matter what dress up clothes and shoes I put in my dramatic center they don't use them. They love the table and plastic food. They have baskets, calculators, shopping bags (reusable not plastic), remotes, and old phones, baking sheets, cash registar, and plastic money. They usually spend their time catching a cab or a bus and going to a restaurant where they pay with plastic money. When they don't pay the cops get called and someone goes to jail. Occasionally, the doctor is at the restaurant giving flu shots.

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 11, 2010

I love it. My current group hasn't mastered the shop keeper/restaurant play. We have a lot of babies that fall down and need to be fixed at the doctors. A roll of blue masking tape really helps that team. I also include a steno pad or two and a few pens so the Docs can log what they are doing and write the "incident report".

We don't hand out flu shots - although the health dept would love it if we did. We usually take care of pretend Kindergarten shots though.

We love to playdo in our pretend area......it is a bit messy but it lends itself nicely to making cin rolls, cookies, birthday cakes and what not. They really do clean up quite well---by contrast our play with the plastic food is messy and we tend to throw the items. So, you just go where you need to with the children.

We tend to never use the real dress up clothes I have in the center, but we love the scarves (I wasn't correcting anyones spelling earlier---sorry) and the babies can't be dressed since it interferes with application of the 1000 blue masking tape bandaids later.....ha.