Drama!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by soleil00, Sep 25, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

This is more of a little vent, but I'd love to hear suggestions on how to deal with drama in school...:(

I am getting fed up with the drama that is going on between my coworkers. Today I was dragged into it while I was getting ready for Open House and I came home crying because I am so upset and I'm sick of listening to it.

Every single day I have to hear the same whispering around corners about each other. Now they're dragging the two newbies (me and my hall-mate) into it and talking about us. I've had 3 vet teachers tell me that people are spreading rumors about me.

Person A talks about Person B. Person B talks about Person C in front of A. A turns around and runs off to tell C what B said about them.

It's a vicious cycle. There is more drama here than what I put up with in high school, plus I had less drama in a sorority!

I am at the end of my rope. I am on the verge of going and hiding in my P's office so I can vent to her.. I just don't know what to do.

I love my job. I love my kids. I even love their parents when the parents are less than lovable.

I am at my wits end with my colleagues. I feel like I can only trust 3 of them. I only ask questions to those 3 and I avoid the rest like the plague.

College did not prepare me for the drama and arguments that go down in a school full of whispering, gossiping women.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

Ah Soleil, welcome!

Some of the best advice for new teachers is to avoid the teachers' lounge, because of the gossip and harping that goes on.

STAY OUT OF IT!

Don't cry anymore. If someone tells you people are talking about you, just smile and say, "Well at least I am making a splash!" Then walk away. Do not let yourself get drawn in.

Get ready for the next time one of these people approach you. If they start in about someone, interrupt and say, "I just have a quick question for you." Make up some fruity questions! Have them on hand. "How late are we allowed to stay in the building after hours? Thank you - gotta run. I'm expecting a phone call/have to get to the bathroom!/have a ton of papers to grade.

Just redirect as you would a child!I am telling you, you have got to read Love and Logic, as it works on adults just as well as children. A perfect response when someone is trying to get your goat or gossip about someone else is just "Oh." Then move on, change the subject, or walk away. It is perfect. There is no committment! It is actually comical once you start to see the effects of "oh."

Please try to find strategies to avoid these people or to cut them off. Keep walking when they try to start gossipping. Stay away from their hangouts. Smile at everyone. And by all means, do not let them drag you into gossipping about anyone! As soon as you do they will be spreading around what you said.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

bonneb has excellent advice.

Don't allow yourself to get dragged into it. You have more power than that. Be assertive and proactive, not helpless and passive.

5. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

The whole reason I was crying today is because they came into MY room and started in yelling at me and basically ganging up on me.

I try to avoid them, I really do, but then they hunt me down because I'm not being "a team player" when I avoid them.

They are ruining my first year. I'm so worried about what they are going to say to me next or something like that.. I've never been around such back-stabbing women in my life. I wish we had more male teachers there to balance out the hormones.

Thank you though bonneb. You do have some awesome advice.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

Oh wow, coming into your room, that is not cool at all! Do you keep your door locked when you are alone working in your room? I do. It is for safety and for not being surprised if someone unknown is in the building.

If they come in again, you just might have to stand up to them. "Sorry, I really have to get to this work. You know how it is your first year. I really don't have time to visit right now. How about you send me an email with your concerns/thoughts/questions.

Soleil, there just comes a time when you have to stand up and tell these out of control bullies no! The sooner you do it, the better you will feel. They will respect you for standing up and stating YOUR standards in YOUR classroom. That is YOUR space! That is your home away from home, and you get to say what goes on there.

Sounds like a lot of hormones all right. ergh. Try to keep your sense of humor. They haven't thrown anything have they? My turning point that made me able to stand up and tell people calmly to shape up when they were out of line was when a co-worker threw something at me because I wasn't paying attention to her! I said "Hey! We don't throw things in here!" and she left. The next morning I went early and went to her room. I said,"Do you remember what happened yesterday? I just needed to clear the air with you. I need you to know that when I am in the building, I am here to work. I have very limited time and I have to use my work time for work, not for visiting or playing. The rest of the time is for my family and personal activities. So it is nothing personal, I am just here to work. Do you understand?"

It took a lot of the night before to get my speech together, but it was effective! Then I was never the same again. I had let people push me around for far too long. I encourage you to find a way to stand up for yourself, calmly, so you won't be bullied anymore. The sooner you do, the sooner you will be empowered to handle any situation.

Here is another good phrase: "I can't discuss this right now because I have a deadline. How about at the end of the week?" or "I am not discussing this right now. I have to work," then turn your back and get to work. Don't respond anymore.

Believe me, it will put people in their place. If women came into my classroom treating me that way, I would tell them, "In this room, we do not yell. We do not gossip. What can I do for you otherwis?" so what if they say you are not a team player?? They are not a good team. It is a compliment if they say you are not one of them. Be strong. Think of steel.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

It's crabs in a basket....ever go crabbing? If you have one crab, you need a lid or else the one crab will climb out....once you have a few crabs, they will pull each other down and you won't need a lid...none will get out....stay out of the basket!:)

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

Do not get involved. The next time someone tries to start a gossip filled conversation say, "I am so sorry but I would rather not hear that people are talking about me. It hurts my feelings and I would rather not know. Thank you for respecting me and my feelings." WALK AWAY.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

That is an excellent response! Calm but firm, clearly stating your desires and ground rules.

10. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

:lol: I definitely needed that laugh. That has to be one of the best analogies I have ever heard! I love it.

Thanks guys.

I think that if it keeps up I'm going to talk to my P. I'm not going to sit back and let them ruin my perception of teaching or make me bitter about going to school every day. With them out of the picture, my professional life is a dream! They just force themselves back into the picture though....

I'm definitely going to do my best to stay out of it...

Oh and bonneb, we aren't allowed to have our doors locked when we are in the room even if it is the weekend. Doors aren't allowed to be locked until we leave for the day. As much as I would like to lock them out, I can't!

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 25, 2011

I will never forget working in my Mom's office the summer after high school ended-ready to work a grown-up job with a bunch of grown-ups. Only to find out this group of secretaries gossiped more than we did in HS! It was quite a letdown. Unfortunately it comes with the territory in working with a bunch of women. ;)

Odds are the bullying is coming from a place of fear-they are probably afraid of a newbie outshining them. Some people build themselves up by putting others down. If a gang of teachers came in and started accosting me in my classroom-I would have just walked out. Grab some papers and go make some copies.

If you go in your room, close your door and teach, teach, teach-nothing anyone says will matter. People will know your abilities from your work. I'd be careful about going to the P unless you actually feel threatened or something. I love my P but she really doesn't like to have to deal with the drama stuff.

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

That is awkward! - the door thing.

There is another post similar to this in general ed. I think it is something like "New Job --touchy situation." You should go read it, maybe pm with the OP. She also is a first year teacher getting bullied! Makes me ashamed. I don't understand how a teacher can be so mean to a colleague. Makes me wonder how these teachers treat defenseless children.

One thing that came out in that post was the importance of documenting these incidents, in case you go talk to your P later. Names, dates, situations, what was said.

13. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

That's what I try to do. I do my best to not let it bother me, but today was just too much for me.

I'm pretty sure I stood there like this :eek: the whole time they were in my room. I didn't know what to do or say.

I think what worries me most is the ones that accosted me today are on my "planning team" so I have to be around them to make our ELA plans.. that is my luck!

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

You can do it. Just remain professional, and remember the word "steel." It helps me a lot.

Wow, they are giving you the full blast aren't they? Really too bad. I hope you know from this board that all experienced teachers are not like that. I agree that they might feel threatened by you because you are young and fresh out of school. Their loss! Keep coming here for balance. :rolleyes:

15. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

I think part of it is also that I have kinder background. I subbed in kinder, I student taught in kinder, and I told my P if a position opened up in kinder I would like to be there instead of 1st (she asked which I would prefer, I was honest).

Ever since they found that out, they've been very condescending towards me saying things like "Bet you didn't teach this in kinder..." and "Oh so your kinder experience is useless here, we're different."

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

If you do decide to go to your P, make sure that you speak about the FACTS only. Do not get into a she said - he said debate. That will only make YOU look bad. I would start documenting the incidents so that when you meet with admin. it is clearly facts with dates that you discuss. Until then, IGNORE the stupidity and use the line that I suggested. Short sweet and if you have to say it more than once, I would be surprised. They will get the message right away.

17. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 25, 2011

Wow! Good for you for wanting to stay out of the drama. These are excellent advice that has been given and I'm going to use some of it as well.

I had 2 scenerios one from last year and 1 from this year.

In a sense one of the teachers was always on my case about where my students were last year... she would ask every day and sometimes 2 times in a day. One day I looked at her and finally said where are your students since you always ask about mine. Needless to say she has never asked that question EVER again!

Second scenerio is a teacher is notorious for bad mouthing the Principal... she makes it known to anyone who is in the building... parents and people from the county included! So one day she came in my room wanting to continue her badmouthing and I looked at her and said I cannot go there with you! Other times I have said I don't have time for this. Needless to say she has slowed up.

Its hard to stand up to your co-workers like that especially when you are new because you dont want to "rock the boat". But they will get the point and quickly. It took me a while to put my big girl shoes on, but now that they are on... I'm getting respected more by my coworkers... and even the principal. I didn't want the feeling to start where she felt she had to babysit me or handle these situations for me.

You can do it!!

18. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

MzMooreTeaches - That is my biggest issue! I'm the new kid, I'm the one that would be the first one to be non-renewed versus these vets that have been here for 30 years... I'm just so afraid of making someone mad (there goes that apparently) and it somehow making me look like a bad teacher or that I am not good enough for this school.... just anything that would cause me to lose my job. :(

I really don't want to rock the boat.. just afraid of what would happen if I did.

SCTeachInTX -

Thank you as well. If I decide to go to my P about it, I will definitely stay far away from that he said/she said junk that tends to get brought up.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

I think that it isn't useful to worry about what might happen when you have so much that is actually happening. Focus on what is happening now and work on fixing it.

It's unreasonable to expect that you'll be able to change their behaviors, but you can certainly change yours. When they approach/accost you, tell them that you don't want to hear it. If you're not comfortable being that assertive, at least tell them that you're busy and now is not a good time.

In the meantime, make a Do Not Disturb sign to keep on your door. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but it's worth a shot.

When you have planning meetings, stick to your plans. If the conversation veers off topic, remind everyone about the purpose of the meeting and get back on track. If they refuse to get back on track, excuse yourself and say that the goals of this meeting are not being met and that the meeting will need to be rescheduled for a time when everyone can focus. If you aren't able to have in-person meetings because of their behavior, set up an online workspace and have your meetings via emails or online posts.

It doesn't matter that you're new or that you'd rather be teaching K. Stop taking responsibility for the way they're behaving. Start asserting yourself, stay professional, and don't let the bastards get you down.

20. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

I keep telling myself that, but argh. I need to listen to myself more often!

Tomorrow is my "recluse" day I think, just to give me time to unwind and not have to deal with their b.s. all day. Focusing on nothing but my kids tomorrow... and my doctors appointment after school.. oh and open house. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the "slap of reality" there Caesar. I definitely needed it. I do need to stop rationalizing their behavior or taking responsibility for what they are doing to me.

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 26, 2011

Soleil, we have all been through it - someone trying to push us around and bully us. We are all grown women!Nobody should be bullying you. Lots of great ideas shared here, and you can see the consensus is you should not put up with that. You don't have to be ugly, just make your statement, smile, and move on.

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 26, 2011

Hope this week is better! Keep at the front of your mind that you are and adult, you classroom is your space, and you will not tolerate bullying! We are all pulling for you. :)

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 26, 2011

You have to find a way to stand up for yourself. It's hard. I didn't start to stand up for myself until I had a run-in with my then principal. (I swore at him. It just slipped out.) His response to me was "Great! I've been waiting for that spunk from you." Since then, I've stood up for myself.

24. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 26, 2011

kpa - what an awesome thing to happen!

25. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 26, 2011

I'm sorry you have to go through that. The best advice is to stay away and if the "not a team player" comes back at you, be ready with examples of actual WORK things where you've worked with them on projects.

And please don't blame it on the female factor. The most gossipy person I ever worked with was a male manager I reported to. He'd not only gossip about our co-workers, but about random strangers in the restaurants where we had lunches. He was awful! I also once worked closely with a building facilities department. 5 guys who took care of all of the building issues and when they got together, you can't imagine the talk about everyone in the company! Some people just have nothing better to do than to put down others. That's why reality TV is so popular. It's unfortunate that the teachers engage in the very same behaviors they try to quench in the students.

Hang in there. Do the best you can do. You're ultimately only responsible for yourself in terms of your job performance. Good luck!

26. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 26, 2011

I'm sorry you've had such a bad situation, soleil, but you've also gotten some great advice so far.

Let me add a bit more from personal experience and the "male" perspective.

First of all, I would avoid going to your P at all. Even if you do stick with just the facts, the others will band together and blame everything on you if the P talks to them about it. Also, your P has enough issues to deal with already with parents and kids. The LAST thing (s)he will want added to that list is dealing with a bunch of drama that shouldn't be happening in the first place, and even if you stick with the facts, the P will see it for what it is....drama.

I understand your situation very clearly. I had a coworker that did his absolute best to make me look as bad as possible to a new manager in our dept. I worried every night that the manager would believe the lies this guy said about me (since he didn't know either one of us). My coworker would literally spend an hour or more in the office telling the manager all kinds of BS about me, then I would rush in as soon as he left and basically say "I don't know what he just told you, but I do know it was all a lie". Then one night, I realized that - since the manager didn't know either one of us - we would BOTH look like whiny brats and it would be hard to decide who was really telling the truth. So I decided that night I would IGNORE the drama completely and just let my WORK speak for me. I figured the new manager had 20 years experience and, if he couldn't see the coworkers BS for what it was, then any effort I made would be in vain anyway. The coworker finally left on his own when he realized his schemes weren't going to work. After he was gone, the mgr confided to me he couldn't STAND the guy and just been waiting for him to turn in his notice.

So, avoid the drama and avoid going to the P about it, if possible. You ARE a big girl and the P will expect you to be able to stand up for yourself.

Just remember some basic rules:

In your room, YOU are the boss, not your coworkers. I don't care how long they've been there. You don't barge in their rooms, they shouldn't barge in yours. If they DO try that again, you can either treat them like the children they are and remind them "We don't yell in the classroom and we don't say mean things about others." Better yet, grab some papers and say "I'm sorry ladies, but I need to make some copies. You're welcome to come with me and continue this conversation in the work room." (which I would assume is near the P's office). :cool:

As for not being a "team player", the only time you are required to be part of the team is during team planning (to the best of my knowledge). So, unless they are discussing class issues, student strategies, IEP's or curriculum goals...you do NOT have to participate in the discussion. If they want to discuss actual team planning goals and objectives, great. If they want to gossip and, especially, hold an ambush attack on you...you do NOT have to go along with it. If they won't leave, you can. And you don't have give any reason for doing so. Just get up and walk away.

Always remember that "Yes" and "No" are perfectly acceptable answers. You don't have to give any extra explanation. I also like the "Oh" response. Not much they can do with that.

Finally, DO NOT TRUST ANYONE! I know that sounds harsh, but this was a lesson my mother learned when she worked in a manufacturing plant. Talk about a gossip factory! :rolleyes: She said she learned very quickly that if anyone pretended to be her friend, it was only to get her to say something about somebody else so they could run and tell that person what she had said.

Even those you feel you can trust, you need to be VERY careful with what you say, because the one acting like your best friend just might be the first one running back to the group to tell them anything you said. And, just like with your kids, chances are they are going to stretch what you say to suit themselves.

I know it is very hard to stand alone sometimes and you don't want to isolate yourself, but you CAN be a team member without being BFFs. Once they realize they can't get under your skin and/or you won't let them bully you anymore, they will quit.

27. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 26, 2011

Today was a much better day.

I was a recluse essentially today. I just wanted time to myself, so I stayed in my room as much as I could when the kids weren't in there.

I did have a run in with the ones that accosted me, but I think they are backing off since another teacher tore into them for attacking me. They were cordial to me, not nice but they weren't being horrible to me like I was expecting.

I think the best advice I've seen here is to just stay out of it. That is my goal. It's harder to stay out of it than to stand up for myself, but I am definitely working on staying as far away from them as possible.

Thank you guys, so much. It definitely helps a lot!

28. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 26, 2011

OH....I forgot to mention one other coping strategy....

Make little voodoo dolls of each one and stab them repeatedly with forks every night! :D
    And if you use velcro, you can rip their little heads off over and over again.:lol:

(I kid, of course. Just figured you could use a good laugh about the situation. Glad today was better for you. :thumb: )

29. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 27, 2011

Great advice Cerek! I have to support your post with my own experience.

Outside of teaching, I work w/DH in his work, which is saturated with people, their problems, true heartbreak, and lots of drama. Lots of people acting out, bullying, hurting others, etc.

One thing that has proven true over 26 years of work in this small town and dealing with people from all walks of life -- the truth always comes out.

I have a friend who was struggling with dealing with another woman. Their two daughters were best friends. Both women appeared to have a lot in common, both were apparently raising their DD with certain shared values. But one of them was just faking it and doing lots of rotten stuff in life - lots of acting out that only few people knew about.

My friend kept protesting that something should be done. She kept being frustrated because of the respect and following this other fake woman had, and it was especially tough because her daughter was being influenced. She felt it was her job to make the truth known so everyone would know this woman was a fake.

I told her - the truth always comes out. Someone once told me, If you lie down with dogs, you're going to get up with fleas. Stay out of it! The truth will come out. Eventually, these women are going to "show their butts." Your P most likely already knows exactly what is going on. If you deal with it yourself, stay professional, stay away from them, do your job with excellenced, focus on the children, you will come out shining. Talking about them (outside of this forum) tears you down as well. I would only talk to P if P brings it up and even then be careful.

Keep your head high and be professional. This stuff goes on anywhere.

30. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Sep 27, 2011

I feel for you...I've been there...it's devastating to your sense of self and makes you question what you know to be right. In my case, it was men, not women. My family told me to just shut my door and "keep my head down and do my job" and the bullies - for that is truly what they are - would be shown for what they are, eventually. It's settled out somewhat, mostly because I avoid contact with them as much as possible, stay as professional as possible in my relationships with them, and stay out of the break room as much as possible (I started a club that keeps me in my room at lunch.) So far, I still have my job and my self respect, and frankly a whole lot of new respect from other coworkers, though it wasn't (and isn't) easy. The self doubt was almost crippling, but over the years I've analyzed my whole program and found it to be based on sound research and effective, so I've stuck with it. I was able to use my knowledge of those bullies' behavior to help another person who had been put in a similar position by one of the bullies as I had, and that felt really good.
    You can do this...hang in there....we're all with ya...

31. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 27, 2011

Buy a huge sticker like this one: [​IMG] and stick it some place in your classroom.

When a teacher comes by, point to it and walk away.

I *hate* this about teaching and so I just avoid those who can't keep their traps shut and continue to be friendly with those who don't talk behind my back. (Parents included)

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 27, 2011

Is your door at least closed? In our building we don't lock them either but a closed door signals that we are too busy to be bothered. It might not stop everything but it should reduce it.

33. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 27, 2011

Doors being closed don't seem to bother people here, unless you are on the phone with a parent they come right in!

My school staff has a real issue with personal boundaries; they just don't get it that if my door is shut I probably don't want them in there.

It's okay though. We had our grade-level meeting and everyone was very cordial. There was tension, for sure, but we were at least able to get our stuff done without anyone saying anything off topic.

34. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 27, 2011

The damsel in distress. The witchy co-workers. It does sound like a Lifetime reality show. I would so watch this!

35. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 27, 2011

Can you imagine? Not to make light of anyone's difficulties at work, but given the way some reality show people behave, I think a reality show about a school staff would result in a lot of firings. I've always said the worst thing about people in reality TV is that they exhibit behaviors that we work so hard to discourage in children.

36. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 27, 2011

Oh I agree. Adults can be just as ridiculous as children sometimes and they do the opposite of what we tell the kids to do.

37. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 28, 2011

^This.

Think twice not about them anymore.

Easier said than done, I know.

Teachers should spend their free time at school grading, planning and concerning themselves with their students - not disrespecting their coworker(s).

And as for the folks sharing with you that people are spreading rumors... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

38. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 28, 2011

Kinda off topic. . .a co-worker was talking to our P about parents being at her door, trying to pick up their child early. For this particular age group the students are dismissed from their class to go downstairs, parents do not need to go up to pick up their child. For K-2 parents have to go to the classroom and sign their child out.

I told her & my P that there are some days that a) I feel like I should just stop teaching as that last 1/2 hour I've got parents coming to get their child early or b) locking the door.

My P said we should always keep our doors locked. I know of several teachers who have placed their desk in such a place that it can't be seen from the door. They then turn out the classroom lights. No one comes to bother them. Might be worth a thought, especially if you can't lock your door.