Drama Teacher Training?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rbschreiber@gma, Mar 23, 2011.

1. rbschreiber@gma

rbschreiber@gma Rookie

Mar 23, 2011

I am a first year teacher and was semi-thrown into teaching an Intro to Drama class. I enjoy it and have some theater background so it worked out very well, but if you asked me a year ago I would have never expected to teach drama.

It's seeming more and more likely the drama program may be developed and grown, so I would next year potentially have to put on productions. I am both excited and freaked out by this.

Does anyone know of any types of classes, courses, or training for drama teachers or for putting on productions? We have a local grant, and I'd love to apply for a course. I'm in So. California. Would so appreciate any help!

Thanks!

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2011

I hope to see what others say as I have a feeling this might happen to me next year. I am in the same place as you - I have a little acting experience, mostly improv, and I am afraid they are going to end up having me producing the school musical or something.

4. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Mar 24, 2011

EDTA

Get involved in EdTa which is the Educational Theatre Association. They have workshops available, and they offer all kinds of publications that can help you. Also, see if your state has a state theatre organization. I wish you well. I have been teaching drama for the past five years, and my school has been slowly trying to take it away from me.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 24, 2011

I know how you feel. That's sortof happening to me, as well.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2011

I am sad that it is being cut in other schools.

Our school has had productions but no classes in the past. But they have had to cut so many elective departments (family consumer sciences, drivers ed, business, etc.) that they want the English teachers to pick up the slack, so anything English-related (journalism, drama, etc.) is being pushed on us even though many of us aren't really certified. And since I have the most experience, I think it is going to fall on me. Maybe it will be fun, but it's kind of stressful too.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2011

rschreiber@gma, the California Educational Theatre Association and two other useful-looking organizations have links at http://www.cetoweb.org/.

(tchr4evr, I owe you.)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2011

The Educational Theatre Association, the national organization, is at http://schooltheatre.org/. I'm fascinated to see that it supports student playwriting as well as student production!

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2011

VERY stressful. I'm resigning from directing our school musical. I loved it and will still volunteer, but the emergency emails will now go to someone else.

10. rbschreiber@gma

rbschreiber@gma Rookie

Mar 26, 2011

Thank you so much for all of this information - I've got some browsing to do!

The two high schools we feed into have amazing theater opportunities, and the middle school has never so much as had a single production. This could possibly be the only thing that keeps me employed next year...