Drama Endorsement?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by catnfiddle, May 14, 2011.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 14, 2011

I'm considering taking the Praxis to earn a Drama / Speech endorsement. Right now, my school doesn't have either elective but seems to be open to discussion. I'd love to hear the opinion of those who have this or have decided against it. For the record, I only took a couple of classes in drama in college but have been acting for most of my life.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 14, 2011

I have it. The test is really easy if you get the ETS study guide. I teach speech and sponsor drama. We have a different drama teacher who does not have the endorsement, but you don't need it to teach drama in my state, just speech. I love it! We have a ton of fun in speech, playing improv games, working on projects, even doing research, etc. I follow the textbook mostly, but add my own ideas sometimes. It's fun to have the versatility of an elective.

4. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 18, 2011

It's not a hard test, if you study. I have a drama degree, so aced it. You might as well get it-because if you don't have it, and your school decided you must have it, then you're already ahead of the game, and they can't have an excuse to get you out.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 18, 2011

I've been acting since forever, so I know my Konstantin Stanislavski from my Uta Hagen. At this time, there is no drama program at my school. I want to propose starting one, but it would be easier with the certification. It does help that my immediate supervisor IS a drama teacher but has moved into administration. She might help me propel the idea.