Drama..... drama..... drama.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2022

Well, as I predicted, drama's been starting up with the middle schoolers.... Kids landing in ISS..... Kids congregating during class change and talking about this girl, that girl, this boy, that boy. Crying cheerleaders quitting the cheer squad.....

When I was in middle school, I didn't notice this stuff.... I guess it's because I'm a guy and I mostly kept to myself or with friends similar to me who also didn't involve themselves with drama? And also that if I got in trouble at school, I would have gotten the treatment from my mom and then my dad.... Or is it because of cell phone use and texting that just didn't happen in the late 80s/early 90s?

Question for everyone.... Is today's drama the same from years prior? What I mean is this. Are we current teachers dealing with what our former teachers had to deal with way back when? Instead of playground fights, it's texting drama? Instead of cigarettes it's vapes? Instead of "she called me a &*%$", it's "she texted to everyone that I'm a &*%$" ?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2022

I taught middle school for almost 30 years. There are always some pockets of drama in the building. Sometimes it is worse than others. The 2019-2020 class was full of drama from the boys and the girls. We said that we were praying so hard for a break from those kids that we caused a pandemic.

I don’t think there is necessarily more or less drama than there used to be, but it is definitely different types of drama with the technology changes.

a2z and readingrules12 like this.
  4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 9, 2022

Technology has DEFINITELY made it worse. The drama from school most likely spills over into the home, courtesy of social media and the like. I wrote a whole paper on social aggression back in 2003, and it was pretty awful way back then.

a2z likes this.
  5. Aces

Aces Devotee

Sep 9, 2022

I think Technology has definitely made it worse, but I firmly believe it’s always been an issue. At my previous school as a VP, there was a near constant stream of drama.

a2z likes this.
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 10, 2022

I think it just spreads faster. The passed paper notes took longer to spread rumors.

a2z and Aces like this.
  7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 10, 2022

The menu has grown but the basic food groups are still in play. Students still worry about having zits, not being asked to the party and belonging to a group. Their sophistication with interpersonal social skills is nothing to write home about. Fights still occur, but the means to an end is too often something other than fists. Texting is immediate and easier to hide whereas passing a note takes some coordination and covert planning. The vape thing is experimenting similar to when we snuck into the laundromat to buy a pack of Marlboros from the vending machine. Name calling via electromagnetic frequency is the same drama, except for size of captured audience, as using wire or fiber optic cable which is more of a one at a time thing. At one point in my career we taught a curriculum, Second Step, which dealt with interpersonal skills among students inside and outside of class. Basically it was role playing different “drama” situations with scripted practice on how to handle each. I wish we would have used with the faculty too.

a2z likes this.
  8. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2022

Middle school? Ha, rookie.

Try elementary school and "what that *expletive* said on my instagram last night".

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2022

Middle school kids are one big mess. My favorite quote about middle school was always what kept me from flipping out on them.

You can’t grow brain cells and sex organs at the same time.

nstructor likes this.