DRA2

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by jenglish97, Jan 27, 2007.

1. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jan 27, 2007

I would like your thoughts on the DRA2 program. Is anyone using this program. It is from Pearson.

We were trained for 2 hours last week and now they want us to start doing just the reading assessment to see where the children are. Well I have to say, some teachers started doing them and said it takes about 25-30 mins per student, while the others are working independently.

I have to say I have a very difficult class this year with behaviors and they cannot be left alone to do centers or work independently without getting into trouble. I am willing to try this but do not know how it is going to work. Best of luck I guess.

3. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jan 28, 2007

These are extremely time consuming assessments. My concern about the DRA is the amount of "subjective" scoring you need to do. The amount of "seat work" needed to keep the rest of your class "busy" while you do the running record seems like a waste of educational time. The scoring (which I usually do at home) takes at LEAST 20 minutes per student.

4. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Jan 28, 2007

Once you do a few students it will go much faster. You just have to get the hang of the assessment. I was very stressed out during the first few students, b/c it did take about 20 minutes each. But, it really does go much faster. I started out doing 2 children a day and i did it during center time. Then, i got up to about 4 students a day. Good luck.

5. weaver02

weaver02 New Member

Jan 28, 2007

yes I have used the DRA2 program for 5 years in first grade and I love it. It really helps me in planning my guided reading instruction and gives me a better understanding of my students needs and how they are progressing. Depending on the grade level, it will take a while to administer the assessments, but once you establish your method it will go much easier. We have our title 1 teacher help us with administering the tests to at risk students and for most students who are on grade level we usually only give the test 3 times a year. The best advice I could give you is to just jump right in and get started. In the long run, it will be very helpful and make your job easier.

6. misscriss

misscriss New Member

Jan 29, 2007

This is my first year using the DRA2. All of my students are on levels 38 and 40, and those are very long. They recommend centers for the rest of the class, but there is no way mine could handle that. So when I did the test in October, I did make packets of seatwork every day. It was nice in a way, to give them a chance to do things we never have time for, like cursive writing and silent reading. I agree that after the first few, you get into the routine and it does go faster. Most of the work in the higher levels of the test is independent, so I could get one child started, send him back to his seat with his story, and then start another child. I could have 3 or 4 going at once. I told the rest of the class that they were not permitted to interrupt me unless it was an emergency involving bodily functions or the fire alarm. The first day of testing, wouldn't you know it, the fire alarm went off!
    I will say that when I scored each child, I was not suprised by the results. At this point, it does seems like a lot of instruction time wasted to find out what I already knew.