DRA2 - test until when?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AnonyMS, Oct 22, 2008.

1. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Oct 22, 2008

My daughter is in the 2nd grade and she tested at "control" up to a certain Level and that's where the teacher stopped. Shouldn't the teacher have tested her until she went down to "gaining" or even lower?

How can the teacher address her needs or challenge her if the teacher doesn't have an accurate level?

3. xmasqueen

xmasqueen Rookie

Oct 22, 2008

I'm not sure what control is. We used to have DRA testing and I found it very ineffective as to judging what levels the children at. I've never heard of DRA2 though, what exactly is it. The DRA we did had levels that were numbers....second grade would be at 18-28 if I remember correctly. We now do DIEBELS and Star Reading for setting levels and it is so much more accurate.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2008

I am also unsure what control and gaining is. We use the DRA but not DRA2 so maybe I am missing the new terminology. When I give a DRA, I am look for a frustration level and independent reading levels. I test the children until they get about a 95% accuracy and 15 on comprehension.

5. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Oct 22, 2008

you're thinking of word analysis tasksand not the actual DRA test itself. the word analysis tells what skills they need to decode certain types of words (syllables, prefix/suffix, etc). it's a totally different test than the DRA and is only tested on students below grade level in the DRA score. Teachers test these skills until the student "fails" 3 of the tests. if they fail 3, then those are the skills needed to work on. the skills they are gaining on mean that they are doing a good job on them. yes, the teacher will continue to work with them on these skills, but not as much time is spent on them because of the 3 they failed. the teacher will work on those more and on the ones that have not been tested yet.

gaining is considered good. they understand that the word "grasshopper" has 3 syllables. they understand what the prefix "un" means...or whatever the task is (there are so many, i can't think of them all right now).

there are only 40 tasks (you don't have to test them all...in 2nd grade they start in the early 20s). if they continue to "control" on all of them then the teacher should test until she "fails" 3 (all the way to 40).

so to answer your question...yes the teacher should continue to test her IF she is below reading level for 2nd grade (18-28 DRA) and IF she hasn't failed 3 tests.

again "word analysis" is ONLY for students below grade level on their reading.

let me know if you need more info or i was unclear.

LC

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 22, 2008

"Control" isn't a term in the DRA2 test -- I think it is part of the word analysis component of that proram (we use the test but not the word analysis component, so I'm not exactly sure.)

I will tell you that many districts put a "cap" -- a level above which they don't want a teacher to test. In our district, for 2nd grade, I'm not allowed to test about a level 34. So I never really know if a child is reading on a 38 or a 60 or an 80, only that they are above a 34.

There are many reasons for a "cap"... (most of it having to do with AYP, and the fact that if a child is too far above the grade level mark it shows up as no growth in that year.... kind of like if you make a 100% this year, and then a 100% next year, you fail AYP because you have shown no growth)... there are far too many reasons to go into, and I can only guess. Basically, if they are that far above the grade level, we already have them grouped in the accelerated class anyway.

I hope someone who teaches in your child's district will see your post and can offer more insight.