DRA

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Sep 27, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 27, 2014

For people who DRA (or do other 1-on-1 testing) in a classroom on their own, how do you manage to do it? I'm finding it super hard to test kids 1-on-1 while just letting the rest fend for themselves. They get off task and loud when I'm not circulating the room. If I am circulating (and not testing) they do pretty well. Some need support and behavior reinforcement that I can't give while testing. I have an inclusion class (about 1/4 SPED) and a few big behavior problem children.

3. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 27, 2014

It is hard, no question about it. I assume you don't have a para to assist you? Do you have computers you can put them on for learning games while you're testing? I also put them in groups and rotate centers. I give some incentive to the group that is quietest/most well behaved. Also, I only do a few DRAs a day. Otherwise, it's too much for them to stay in control.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 27, 2014

No para, 2 computers very old computers... I wonder if the computer lab would be an option. I might have to ask about that.

I would also choose to do only a few a day, but they are due soon, and due to other testing requirements and behavior issues, I haven't gotten as many done as I wish I had. I need to start hammering them out.

I have heard that teachers in other districts get a substitute for a day while they take care of DRA testing for their classroom... Oh I wish!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2014

I've done several things, depending on the class.

Some work great with a project and all is well. Unfortunately, this is the exception in my experience!

I've taken a sick day to do testing. But I've never been able to do everyone in a single day.

I had a group that could not work with groups/partners, nor did they do unstructured things like DEAR well (unless I was supervising.) That year, I had to just copy a massive packet of review material for them to do. Basically busy work.

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 27, 2014

Yeah... I think this might be what it comes down to. My kids are able to do DEAR pretty well, because the books they choose are at their own level. I think just silent reading and packet work is the way to go for this group. My P really frowns on packets and worksheets and wants them to be doing collaborative work, but I need to teach them how to do that and coach them on working together first, which I can't do if I'm not working with them.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2014

There are some teachers at my old school who did packets every time. They didn't even consider doing anything else. :eek:

8. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Sep 30, 2014

Is there an option to split your class up amongst your grade level for the day? That way you could have the quiet to get most of your DRA's done and could in turn do the same thing for your fellow teachers.

I would of course run this by the principal first if you think you would like to go this route.

9. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 1, 2014

When I had K, I would do them during center time so I could bang them out pretty quickly. I would just do several in one day and be done in the course of a week. Now I am teaching 5th and I usually have them read to me during reader's workshop. But they have a HUGE packet to also complete so I have them work on that rather than class work. If they don't finish during reading block, they work on it during morning work.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 1, 2014

We have a reading assessment day (it's actually today!), where our kids rotate around the school to different activities and speakers, while we assess kids in our classroom. I usually only get about 9 done the whole day, but it definitely helps.

I do the rest during recess, and Daily 5 time. They have one 30-minute recess at lunch, and I tell them that if I choose them to stay in with me, they get to either chew gum for the afternoon or pick a pencil from my stash. That gives them a little incentive, and they aren't so mad when they have to stay in.

Since their stamina is up to 20+ minutes during Daily 5, I can also assess them during all 3 rounds.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2014

I'm having the same problem with running records. Can you circulate while the kids are reading independently or do you have to sit with them throughout the entire DRA?

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 7, 2014

It depends on what level they're at, but for most of them, I have to sit there the whole time. What's worse is that many of them have to go through multiple tests to find the right level.

13. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 7, 2014

You and your kids are so lucky they get 30 minutes at recess! That's how it should be! Especially if they only get one.