DRA v. Running Records

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by linzteach, Aug 7, 2007.

1. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Running Record and a DRA? My new school district, gives DRA's and I have only given Running Records. I'm teaching fourth and thought, before coming to this school district, that DRA's were only given K-3. Any kowledge you have would be much appreciated! Thank you!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

We do DRA on all of our students from grades 4-8 twice each year (September and mid-May). I've never seen the DRA for below grade 4, so not sure how it compares (so forgive me if the following is information you already know) but the assessment we administer has several components. The students complete a Reading Inventory, answering questions about their reading habits, strengths, weaknesses and goals. The teacher then takes a running record on one portion of a fairly lengthy selection and the students completes some predictions. Then, the students read the rest of the story or article and complete a variety of written tasks--a summary, literal comprehension and interpretation questions, etc. It is quite time-consuming to administer to a class, but gives some invaluable information in regards to program planning.

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

for those primary grades you also do a running record on a pre-selected page from the DRA text. at my school, we typically use DRA through 2nd/3rd grade then focus more on comprehension (vs. decoding) by using the Flynt Cooter. the DRA is much more comprehensive than just doing a running record... it helps you determine accuracy, fluency, comprehension and reading level. plus all the stuff MrsC mentioned!