DRA Report

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by halpey1, Aug 10, 2006.

1. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

Hello, I'm starting to think about how I will track/record DRA scores for my students this year. I know there is a online system, but my school does not subscribe.

I was wondering if anyone has a special excel spreadsheet, or method for doing this. I know I could set up a simple spreadsheet, but am wondering if someone has done one using specific info/criteria from the test. Thanks for any advice/help.

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

As an added question - I'm just curious how folks who use the DRA track there data.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2006

We don't use the DRA anymore, but at our school there was a graph we completed each year. It simply had the grades (broken down by semester) across the bottom and the DRA levels up the side. You marked where the student was 1st semester and 2nd semester, then the graph was put in the cum record and passed on to the next teacher.

It was a nice visual, although it doesn't provide all the info you may be seeking.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

Not quite all the info, but thank you for posting! Sometimes it seems folks are more into the 'fluff' of teaching (for lack of a better word) than the 'nitty gritty' - thanks again.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

bump.

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

bump.

8. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 10, 2006

As a Kindergarten teacher, we only administer the DRA 2 times a year and we have a sheet where we mark the Nov and May score, and comprehension level, but nothing more than that. Sorry I can't really help. I would actually think that your daily running records from reading groups may be a more effective way of tracking since the DRA is only administered a few times a year. (And I actually do think teachers are this site do care about the "nitty gritty" and not just "fluff" as you said, it may just be that no one has any unique way to track DRA scores!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

We also only administer the DRA twice a year- once at the beginning and once at the end. I keep a list for each student of all of the running records I've done, level of the story, and their accuracy percentage. I keep the info in a binder, along with copies of their running records. I separate each child with a tab divider and I keep the binder need my kidney table and my GR stuff. I started the year typing the list all the time and reprinting it...now I just type out the first one, make lines on it, and then handprint the info as I go along. Trying to save a few trees! :)

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2006

Halpey- If you have the time to test your kids on the DRA test several times, I think thats great...I wish I did! My only question is how many levels do your kids usually jump up on the DRA in one year? My second graders didn't jump more than 2 levels, so I personally would've had trouble doing more than 2 DRAs. I'm just wondering how often you do it:)

11. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 10, 2006

No I don't do it more than twice for most of the kids - a few might get a third time, I was just hoping to have something that would make sharing the info with parents and future teachers more easy and visually appealing. I think I will just set up a simple spreadsheet like the one mentioned. Thank you all for your responses!

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 10, 2006

Sharing with parents and the future teachers would have to be an individual sheet. Our DRA kit came with a sample folder that lists the progess made by students throughout the years. It's actually very detailed, but is expensive to order for each student. You could just copy it, or create your own spreadsheet with other scores as well (DSA, DIBEL's, Quarterly test grades, ect...).

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2006

At my school we do DRA twice per year for our grade 4-8 students. We created a 2-pocket folder for each student which holds their DRA tests and glued a photocopy of the graph from the student folder (in the DRA kit) to the front of the folder to track progress at a glance.

14. MissB

MissB Companion

Aug 17, 2006

This isn't what you are looking for but, my kids loved it last year when we had them graph their own running record score. They loved having their own graph and seeing their progress (or lack of). Eventually they started begging to read, so they could record and beat their previous score. This was very helpful during conferences, or when parents had questions we could pull it right out and show them. We also had the target highlighted, and the kids knew by the end of second grade they should be reaching this highlighted line.

We also did the same thing with the students minute math tests. Once again they loved it and would BEG to do a test so they could beat their previous score.

15. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 17, 2006

Well I don't have an excel spreadsheet for you, but I created a "Reading Rainbow" from die-cut stars on posterboard. After I laminated it, I wrote the DRA levels on there. As students get ot a new level, they could move their clip. They really love it!