DRA and SPIRE program

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HeidiMatt, Apr 19, 2021.

1. HeidiMatt

HeidiMatt Rookie

Apr 19, 2021

Hi all,
    I just returned to the classroom after 15 years staying at home raising kids. I was really happy to see they still use the DRA and running records for reading levels!
    My school uses SPIRE for kids who need interventions and for kids with special needs. I love the program and I'm wondering if there's a way to make it correlate with the leveled reading instruction I'm also providing these kids.
    Has anyone figured out how to plan reading instruction with leveled readers for kids who are using SPIRE? I use my own set of old-school Rigby PM books for reading instruction. SPIRE does have little readers, but they aren't designed for a variety of reading levels and not the best for comprehension.
    Thanks!

3. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Apr 21, 2021

You might want to try thinking out of the box. For example, I put all my third graders into a high-interest novel written at third grade level. I scaffold lower readers and accelerate higher readers with supplements. The whole class studies how the class novels are written, and we practiced our learnings together. The DRA, to me, is a complete waste of time to plan instruction and find weak areas. The only part of the test I like is the fluency component.

As a literature-based program, we spend 80% of our reading block actually reading. In a skills-based program, the reading to lessons is reversed.

My class had every single student score "exceed" on the state tests (except 2 sped kids). This technique works - at least it works for my students, and it's really fun to teach.

Just something to think about.