Dr. Seuss

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by gigi, Feb 25, 2005.

1. gigi

gigi Groupie

Feb 25, 2005

I love celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday. Sharing books, inviting parents in to read, etc. But I am growing bored with what I have for actitivies and wonder if anyone has new to share. In the past we have made a 3 tier birthday cake for Dr. Seuss, decorated with streamers, candles and characters from the books done by the children. Hats, of course, and mazes, dot to dot, etc. Does anyone have anything new to share? I have been to all the websites and haven't found much new.
    Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 25, 2005

There is a lot of Seuss clothing out there - let them dress for the theme. Write a class book in the style of Seuss. Enlarge pix of favorite characters, make speech bubbles, and create a mural. Have a contest for favorite character.

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 25, 2005

I made some hat and feet printables last year. You can find them here:
    http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/Printables/Dr__Seuss/

Last year I used the feet to make a big "Foot Book" hanging in the hall. I had the kids fill in the blank on as many feet as they wanted, then they cut them out and glued them onto a big paper in the hall.

5. Lisa H.

Lisa H. Rookie

Feb 25, 2005

We actually make green eggs and ham. The children love it and they get to add the food coloring to make green eggs, they all try it and it is sooo much fun!!

6. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Feb 25, 2005

To vary things a bit, you can do different activities for some of his books.
    Read Green Eggs and Ham and actually make green eggs and ham. (as suggested above)

Read Barthalomew and the Oobleck and make "oobleck" from water and cornstarch. (also known as "goop")

Read The King's Stilts and make stilts from tin cans and string.

Read Ten Apples Up On Top and do apple activities.

Those are some quick ideas, but you get the idea. It might be more fun than trying to focus ALL the activities on the man himself.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 25, 2005

My favorite is making Green Eggs with the kids. One activity we are doing this year is reading Dr. Seuss stories with our book buddies who are in 2nd grade. The kids are going to bring in their favorite Dr Seuss story or borrow one of mine and let their buddy read it to them.
    We will also do a rhyming activity with words that end in AT and graph our favorite Dr. Seuss story,

8. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Feb 25, 2005

OOOHHHH....graphing your favorite Dr. Seuss story...I LOVE that one! :D

9. mc1st

mc1st New Member

Feb 25, 2005

(1st grade)We teach by theme and all next week our centers are based around Dr. Seuss:
    Language-- Mixed up Dr. Seuss sentences
    Writing--- who+what+where sentences using Dr. Seuss characters and places

10. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Feb 26, 2005

After reading a book a day you could write Seuss-like books. Depending on the age you would probably alter the plan a bit. With younger kids I might write it as a class and have groups of kids do the artwork and type (or print) the words on their page. I'm thinking rhyming books would be easiest. Or for older kids have them individually or with a partner write, illustrate (Seuss-like!) and type their own book. Writing a book is a great way to go through the steps of editing and even 6 trait writing.

I did something similar with a 3rd grade class. We brainstormed as a class, wrote our rough draft, edited and proofed all on the overhead. Then we broke it up into appropriate chunks for each page. Each student illustrated their page (a half sheet of poster tagboard) and practiced reading it several times to themselves and to the class. Then we lined up in order,(numbered pages) and read it to a kindergarten class. We'd put another copy of their pages' words on the back so the picture was to the audience and they sat cross-legged with the page in their lap. Afterwards we bound it and I made a cover. We were all so proud of our project!

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 26, 2005

Our school is having men come in & read to the children for Read Across America. As that is also Dr. Seuss' birthday I chose some of his books to be read to the children.

1 Fish 2 Fish: serve goldfish crackers & pink lemonade Wish I had a fish pattern!
    1 Foot 2 Foot: Trace their feet, let them choose what color of construction paper. Cut out. Then sort by color, size etc. Make an arch of feet. How Many Feet do We Have?
    Cat in the Hat: Make hats. Use same pattern to make math journals & then have children draw pictures of story problems. Use the Hat & a slip of paper, write rhyming on paper, pull the slip through the slit & read the word. (does that make sense?).

March is Reading month. I'm going to do some of these activities & others throughout the month.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 26, 2005

13. teachingisfun

teachingisfun New Member

Feb 26, 2005

Green Eggs and Ham cake

Try going to FamilyFun.com The have a simple recipe for a cake that looks just like green eggs and ham. I can't wait to try it.

14. gigi

gigi Groupie

Feb 26, 2005

Thank you everyone for all the websites and ideas for my Dr.Seuss day!
    I can't wait to get started! I'm not bored any longer!