Dr. Seuss science lessons/activities?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by 1stGradeRocks, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Feb 26, 2008

Anyone have an ideas for science activities/lessons that are related to Dr. Seuss books? Thanks!

3. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Feb 26, 2008

I can not think of anything particular, but there is a website...
    www.seusville.com that is everythign Dr. Seuss..I'd try there to start...

4. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Feb 26, 2008

You can do rhyming and patterns by making Seuss hats. The patterns are the red and white stripes, then you can write a rhyming word on each stripe. You can do things with body parts too, with The Foot Book, The Eye Book, etc. Take pictures of the kids' feet and making a guessing game as to whose feet they are (or send a camera home). For the eye book you can have the kids draw a picture of themselves with the writing: My eyes can see . Paste googly eyes on their picture and have them draw what they wrote in the blank.

Hmm..that's just a quick jotting of some ideas!

5. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Feb 26, 2008

When I taught kinder last year, we read the book called Bartholomew and the Oobleck by Dr. Seuss. We then made our own "oobleck," or slime. There are many recepies for this if you type it in on a search engine.

6. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Feb 26, 2008

Oh yeah, we also made our own green eggs and ham. That was a hit! In additon to green eggs and ham, we made cute "Cat in the Hat" hats.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2008

Even a lesson on mixing colors (think fingerpaint) when you read Green Eggs and Ham. Or sort vehicle counters when you read Marvin K Mooney.
    Kim

8. KinGeorgia

KinGeorgia Rookie

Feb 27, 2008

The majority of my Dr. Seuss lesson ideas are for literacy and math! The only science lesson I can think of (besides the oobleck!) is for Horton Hears a Who, and you can use a microscope to 'examine' a speck of 'dust'.

9. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Feb 28, 2008

Oobleck is good for comparing solids and liquids (because it acts like both a solid and liquid). If I Ran The Zoo can talk about different types of animals, where they live. Horton Hatches the egg - discuss animals that lay eggs or give birth (mammals to other animals). I 10 Apples -- can talk about how apples come from seeds, where do they grow, how does a seed grow. have also seen science-related books that are based off Dr. Seuss characters (about the ocean, 5 senses, teeth). They weren't written by him but they use the Cat in the Hat to teach science concepts.