dr. seuss day ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Jan 9, 2011.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Jan 9, 2011

This is my first year, I would like to do something for dr. seuss day. I know green eggs and ham tends to be big, however, I have several children allergic to eggs and I know they will feel left out.
    What else do you do for that day?

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jan 9, 2011

4. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jan 9, 2011

[​IMG]

5. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 9, 2011

I would bring in all sorts of Dr. Suess books to read all week. We would vote on our favorite, make our own version of one of the books, draw our imaginary world on a large sheet of paper, make Dr. Suess hats, make up silly rhyming phrases, eat cake, etc.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 9, 2011

We have several children that are allergic to eggs and since we are a multi-age class they are there for many years. Long ago I gave up on the green egg and ham.

We read tons of stories, make collages of feathers with a Gertude McGrew drawn in the coner, create a hat for our heads and one for the bboard. The one of the board has rhymes on each strip (cat, mat, hat....).

We make ooblick (for the story with the king--I can't remember).

It goes on and on.....but no eggs.

I usually make the lemonaide-but that cookbook looks great!

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 9, 2011

My Many Colored Days- Give each child a small die-cut of a person (I use a gingerbread man shape) then give them some colored chalk to color the person. Students choose how to color their person. Then take a cotton ball and have the students blend the colors together.

Green Eggs & Ham- have children marble paint different shades of green on a piece of white paper. When the paper is dry, trace a fried egg shape on back. Have students cut out and add a yellow circle for yolk.

Cat in the Hat- practice balancing various objects. Make a red & white hat. I made a memory game by copying 2 of the same images of "cats in hats" from the internet. The kids love to play this.

Wacky Wednesday- staff and students come to school in wacky, backwards or mis-matched outfits. I change things around in the classroom and have the students discover the wacky changes.

The Foot Book- students choose a piece of construction paper. They place one foot on the paper and I trace it. They cut it out and with various art and scrap materials they create their own character.

We also spend a lot of time learning about and practicing rhyming words.

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 9, 2011

I do this with my second graders... I think the story is called Bartholomew and the Oobleck?

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 9, 2011

Yep! That is the story!

I totally want to use double sided tape to stick a shoe on the wall for the "Wacky Wednesday" book. That has been in the classroom library all year, and they are loving it.

We also make our own Playdough monsters and name them something rhymes like Wocket in my Pocket.

Then we try our hand at "reading" CVC words if some of the children are REALLY good at the letter sound relationships.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 9, 2011

:( Mr. Grinch I am totally in love with that cookbook, but our library doesn't carry it.

11. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 10, 2011

We make a red/white striped hat (attached to a headband) and on each stripe, write a word rhyming with cat. Read a ton of books, vote for our favorite, make a graph of the votes.

12. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jan 15, 2011

We talk about how Dr. Suess books have a lot of 'crazy creatures' in them. I have the students draw their own crazy creature, then they describe it and give it a name(teacher takes dictation).

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 15, 2011

forkids...so do we! We then also make it out of playdough and take it home......because Seuss' bday falls in the end of cold and flu season and I like to make playdough often then. Creepy!!!!