Dr Laura quits

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

You said to some it does not hold meaning but to others it does. Who are the others?

2. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

3. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

How do they take offense...you know what nevermind :whistle:
    11,000 Wouldn't even fill three high schools in my district...speak volumes...i will just have to agree to disagree. I as a young African-American woman am sadden to see a straight forward psychologist bullied off the air. I will forever be thankful for all the times her conversations with other callers directed and guided my own decisions my decision...Good luck to you Dr. Laura, you will truely be missed.

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

I did a semi-scientific analysis of the 11,000+ post I looked at 10-11 pages spread among the 256 pages and it looked like the score was was between 45%-55% for and 45%-55% against (which seemed better than "some (not all) but many")

I hate to point this out but the Huffington Post in not a unbiased media source. the article was slanted and could they have use a worst picture?
    Huffington
    [​IMG]
    Off her web site
    [​IMG]
    I bet she is some were in between

Her credentials
    Dr. Laura holds a Ph.D. in physiology from Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons, and received her post-doctoral certification in Marriage, Family, and Child Counseling from the University of Southern California. She was in private practice for 12 years. She's also been on the faculty of the Department of Biology at the University of Southern California, and the Graduate Psychology Department at Pepperdine University.
    she just didn't come in off the street

I do wonder if some of the people are against her because she is conservative?
    I have get ready for the Dentist will post later

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

That, and the fact that she is blunt with her advice, rather than polite. She doesn't empower the victim-mentality some do. Rather, she forces the person to look at the fact that - in most cases - their current situation was created by choices THEY made, and they have to accept at least some of the responsibility for making those choices.

Our society today often encourages us to blame someone else for anything that goes wrong in our lives or anything we just don't like in our lives, rather than accept the responsibility for creating that situation ourselves.

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

I am perfectly calm. Just because I hold someone to task for their comments doesn't mean the comments upset me.

I also agree we are both right. Thank you for recognizing that.

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 19, 2010

BINGO!!!

8. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

Whether she should have said it or not, I have listened to the audio and if she speaks that way to every caller who contacts her requesting her help (I don't mean the words she uses - I mean the tone and the attitude behind the words she says) then she shouldn't be in a position to have people listen to her.
    No, I don't agree politically, but using that as an excuse is as faulty as saying Republicans don't like President Obama because he is African-American. That may be the reason for some, but for most people it's because they think his policies are wrong. Just like some people may not like this woman because she is conservative, but most JUST THINK SHE'S WRONG!!!
    I would be equally upset about a special education teacher who stood in front of his/her class and repeated "Retarded, Retarded, Retarded" in the same tone and with the same intonation.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

Others are bigots who use the word with hatred.

I think is amazing and wonderful that your experience as a young person bigotry-free. The youth of today is our driving force and our future.

It sounds like you work in schools where bigotry is not a factor. In the schools where I work, unfortunately, there is still an undercurrent among some students of "gang" mentality between races and nationalities (not just Whites and Blacks, but between various Hispanic groups, and Blacks and Hispanics, Armenians and Jews, and ... it goes on and on). It festers quietly till a dispute erupts, then the hatred is voiced clearly.

And, there are still some of a generation not far from yours who hold secret and sometimes public bias against other races. Sadly, being white, I've been among groups where little hints are dropped about other races ... almost like tests to see if the group will go along in that direction. This is why I don't allow the N_word, or the F_word (offensive to gays), or any similarly loaded words in my house or my classroom. You may think that is harsh - but I've seen the direction those kinds of words can lead. If I just smile and nod my head or sit silent - then I'm complicit in the spread of hatred.

In addition, I'm Jewish (but I guess I don't look it) because I've had adults and young people make derogatory comments about Jews in my presence (and among Jews, I've heard derogatory comments about other races). It seems endless to me.

Worse, in Florida and Arizona (where I've lived). I've heard conversations among educated people in their 40s (doctors and lawyers, etc) where the N_ word is freely spoken in derogatory ways. Sadly, they will try to teach their children the same divisions.

These are all just my anecdotal experiences. I'm truly glad that yours are different. The fact that you're dumbfounded by the thought of the N_word being used by bigots is a relief.

Please know that when I say "others" and "some" - I don't mean "all". But just enough to make me want to continue to question motive and intention.

10. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

I'm not dumdfounded at all. I was just raised not to react and respond to EVERYTHING. My mother was raised in the deep south. Could only go to certain restrooms, etc; To this day my grandmother who is 88 still cowers or is highly submissive to white people. So I know a bit about racism and bigotry. However my mother has taught me that you can not change people. You can only change how you REACT to such people.

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

I don't take talk show hosts seriously..... as a matter of fact I probably haven't listened to a talk show host in over a decade..... with the exception of Sean Hannity. I like his unbiased, middle of the road approach....:p

12. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

Thank you for sharing those painful experiences. You certainly do understand this issue. And, of course, we see it from different perspectives: your family being targets of racism, and me being exposed to racist viewpoints from those who think they can speak freely in front of me because I'm white. Our different experiences are the likely cause of our differing viewpoints of how to react to suspected racism.

So from my perspective, I do think racists can be edged out by not accepting their point of view and their hate-speech. From where I stand, the concerted action of shining a bright light on racist activity is an effective reaction to hateful practices. Perhaps I'm over-vigilant about the n-word because I grew up during the years when the word was ONLY used with hate.

I'm not saying that Dr. Laura is racist. I'm only saying that the scrutiny of what she said could be considered a justifiable reaction to hearing a potentially hateful word uttered repeatedly.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 19, 2010

Bless your mother...to bad other mothers didn't follow her lead.

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

I really appreciate your post. When idiots start crying about reverse racism and how its over or get over it I like to point out that many people that endured that horrible time are still walking this earth along with many that treated them so badly. And many wonder why it still affects people to this day. Your mom was right but you still needed great strength to live that way. Like some said in here, they still hear people displaying ignorance and hate as if it was 1940,