Dr. Jean

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Rosieo, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2005

Has anyone listened to Dr. Jean's CD's? I just found out about them tonight and was wondering if they are appropriate for 1st grade.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 12, 2005

Yes, they are appropriate. Our ED teacher (the behavior problem class), she plays them for her bunch and there are some older kids in her mixed age class. Some of her CD's have science and geography songs on there that are too high for my little ones' interest.

Lori

4. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Oct 12, 2005

Dr. Jean is great! It is definately appropriate.

5. KIF

KIF Companion

Oct 12, 2005

Your first graders will love her!!!!!!! Just be careful, you'll find yourself singing them all day. Some of them are very appropriate for emergent readers. Rhyme Time, Who let the letters out, etc. Good luck.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 13, 2005

KIF, you got the singing them all day long right... I find myself humming the PIZZA HUT song or BABY FISH at various times at school. LOL

I throw in Dr. Jean songs during circle time then we have a special Dr. Jean music time slot. I also play one of her CD's during lunch. We eat in our room. During free play I toss in a home made CD with all of her alphabets songs compiled onto 1 CD for my autistic children. They LOVE those songs. I have a book I made with a letter on each page and the sign (sign language) for the letter, too.

Lori

7. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Oct 15, 2005

I teach first and the kids love the songs! You along might try Philadelphia Chickens for a less country voice and Greg and Steve -- my students love our morning songs for calendar and time when we are working independently.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

I like her songs, but her voice really irritates me and I can only listen to it for so long.......

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

I think they would be a great addition to your first grade classroom. Our first grade teachers are dead set against singing with their kids to help them learn. But I reallly think they are very appropriate for that age group. They sing them all the time to help say months of the year and days of the week. Their favorite is, "Tooty-Ta". I agree with KinderKids with her voice and I usually use the songs as a background and our voices drown out hers.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

oh, I feel bad for the first graders........why are the teachers dead set against singing with their kids to help them learn? I think kids can learn best through music, rhyme and rythym. But I'm biased 'cause I started as a music major in college. Do they say why they don't like to use music?

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

I think they feel like they want to do it "their" way and not be compared to the Kindergarten team. I don't believe they feel very strong in their teaching abilities- not ready to let the control go and have the kids laugh and enjoy themselves when they learn. It's a control issue.

12. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

Why would anyone be set against singing in the classroom!!!! I don't ususally sing because I only know a few songs for kids. But if I can find these CD's then hopefully we will more in my room.

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

One teacher is crabby (she is a third year and I wouldn't think she would be crabby so soon and she views her classroom as rigidly academic, the other three are oblivious to the effects of music on the growing mind. Because if they were aware, they would know how important music is.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

Oh, that is so awful.. I wouldn't want my child in a classroom that didn't have music and singing........YUCK!! That teacher shouldn't be teaching young children if she is crabby......she needs to be with older children,like middle or high school.

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

My thoughts exactly. To make things worse, she has most of my special needs kiddos from last year that are low and really responded to the whole active thing last year...She just glares at me. What did I do?

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

sounds like she is jealous. Oh, how terrible for those special needs kids.....they can definitely benefit the most from music and movement activities....I'd be so upset as a parent..What a crank!! :(

17. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

You know, when I was new to teaching I looked to others for ideas, to see what they did and how I could be better. I still do. I think it's so important to be a reflective teacher and not be so, you know. Oh well. Hopefully she will learn something this year about meeting the needs of all her students- not just the ones that do what she wants.

18. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

Where can I purchase Dr. Jean's CD's. I checked Borders and the local library with no luck. Can you only get them online?

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

I've seen them at my local educational store...Educare. If you have a store like that in your area, they will probably have it.

20. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005

We don't have Educare but another teachers store. I will check it out. Thanks!

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2005

If your comfortable with it, I think you could probably find it on ebay or of course at Amazon.com
    But I should think your local teacher store will carry it. Good luck! :)

22. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Oct 23, 2005

Dr Jean CD's

You can get them directly from her website. Just type in Dr. Jean to search and you will find it. I have ordered there before. My favorite CD so far is Dr. Jean Sings Silly Songs.

23. amdaisy518

amdaisy518 Rookie

Oct 24, 2005

DR Jean has her own website: DrJean.com, and there you can find not only her CD's (which you will love and so will your students) but also the words to the songs. It is nice to write them out and learn the songs that way too!
    Also, try to get to one of her workshops, they are full of energy!!!!
    Ann