"Dr." in your title

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Genmai, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jan 22, 2010

This is a trivial thing that annoys me about a few folks in education. More than once, I have seen a high level administrator refer to himself as "Dr." I've worked in academia with many PhD students and researchers in fields like theoretical physics, biomedical engineering, etc. and only a few have added "PhD" after their name in a professional context. In my experience, the only professionals who use the "Dr." surname regularly have been physicians and dentists. This was until I entered the world of education.

Is it self-important to call oneself a "Doctor" especially when you have a Doctor of Education credential? I wonder what my internist would think about this.

:p

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2010

I don't think it self-important at all...I think most people know not all 'doctors' are medically trained...it's not that people 'refer to themselves' as doctor, it's a title they've rightfully earned. I have no problem with it...

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jan 22, 2010

I think the amount of time that it takes to get a doctorate and the lack of pay that accompanies that degree is one that deserves perhaps one small perk. If it make the Dr. happy, I say go for it. They have worked for it - let them use it if they want to.:cool: No, I ,personally am not a doctor.

5. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jan 22, 2010

Our band director has his doctorate, and we all call him Dr. (Last Name). :) He's earned it.

6. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Jan 22, 2010

I had a professor, who has a doctorate, but she let us call her by her first name.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2010

It doesn't bother me at all.

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jan 22, 2010

A Doctor of Education deserves the same respect as a Doctor of Medicine, in my book.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 22, 2010

They not only put the time in they probably paid a pretty penny to earn the title. My grad professors were all called Dr. X by the undergrads and rightfully so.

10. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jan 22, 2010

If I ever earn my doctorate, I'll feel like I've earned the title...I'm happy to call anyone who has spent the time and money to earn this advanced degree Doctor.

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 22, 2010

I have my Doctorate in History my students refer to me as Dr. _________.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2010

I also have no problem with it.

13. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 22, 2010

It seems where I go to school, there seems to be this whole tude among doctors. Professors who aren't seem envious of the title. It's funny. I just call everyone professor, unless they specifiy Dr.

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2010

I feel that someone who works hard to earn a doctorate deserves to be called Dr. if they so choose. There's nothing wrong with it to me. I actually like knowing that a person has their doctorate because it gives me an incentive to continue on after my masters. Why not? I actually like going to college...LOL

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 22, 2010

Since when is a medical degree the only doctorate? Many Ph.D's require more time and more effort than med school. Anybody who's earned a doctorate in any field deserves the respect and recognition that comes with that accomplishment.

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2010

No, doesn't bother me. My father had two doctorates--one in chemistry and one in food technology. He was called Dr. J... I thought it was cool.

He associated with quite a few "doctors of..." so I'm used to it.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2010

Doctor in Latin is 'teacher', from doceo 'I teach'. The medical people have in fact coopted the title: at one time one became a medical doctor by apprenticing with someone who taught you how, though it is a good long time since most MDs were involved in teaching in anything like the usual sense.

With that said, a non-MD doctor who INSISTS, loudly, on being called "Doctor" has issues that won't be resolved by the possession of an Ed.D. or a Ph.D. or any other kind of D.

18. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Jan 22, 2010

I think people who have completed doctorates in their field deserve respect.

That said, I also think that the insistence on using the title of doctor outside of medicine usually sounds pretentious. My superintendent uses the title, as did a former principal. I respect their desire to be known as Dr., but I always felt a little strange about it. It felt like overcompensating... (Just being honest! It's perfectly fine for people to do it, of course.)

(For context: my father is a professor at a top university, so I was surrounded by academics growing up, from both my father's university and several other big name schools across the US and abroad. Most of them are in math, the hard sciences, or engineering. All of them went by Professor -- not Doctor -- and none of them affix Ph.D. to their signatures.)

19. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Jan 22, 2010

:yeahthat:

(Wish I had read your post first! ;) )

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 22, 2010

In the university setting, the title "Professor" is more prestigious than "Dr.". There are part time lecturers running around with Ph.D's, but only a select few Professors.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2010

I think anyone with a PH. D. has earned the right to be called Dr. That's their earned title, a title that does not just refer to a medical doctor. I have always refered to persons with doctorate degrees as "Dr." because I feel this is a respectful thing to do. This is even when some of my professors have been on first name basis...

22. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jan 22, 2010

:agreed:

23. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jan 22, 2010

I prefer the title Dr.

There are quite a few people at my college that have the title of professor but don't have doctorate degrees (the have MBA's, MFA's,...)

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 22, 2010

All of the people I know who have a doctoral degree go by the title Dr.

The title goes with the degree, and I see nothing wrong with people who use it.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2010

When I get my PhD which I am planning to do in a few years, I intend on going by Dr. Now I won't be obnoxious about it and correct people like some do. My bf and I joke, because I plan on hyphenating when we get married, so I will be Dr. G-R. Dr. Grrrrrrrrrrr. lol

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 23, 2010

Anyone who went through all those yrs of hard work to earn a doctoral degree certainly deserves & should be called that title. A doctoral degree is a doctoral degree no matter what field it's in.
    If I earned that degree, which isn't out of the question someday, you better believe that I want to be called Dr. ___!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 23, 2010

The most eminent Ph.D. I've ever known went by his first name, whether you were one of his senior colleagues or an undergrad student. Then again, he gave every evidence of being incredibly comfortable in his own skin.

28. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 23, 2010

If it were me, I would use Dr because I earned it but I wouldn't correct people if they didn't use it. To me, that is going a little too far.

29. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2010

They worked hard 4 it, just like the medical doctors, SO...
    ...give them the respect they've earned.
    's up DOC?:D
    Rebel1

30. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 23, 2010

I don't see any problem with it. I've had a number of superintendents, a P, and teachers who have their doctorate and all went by Dr. They earned that degree and the title that comes with it.

31. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jan 23, 2010

When I earn my Ph.D. (in animal science) over the summer, I am going to wear my Dr. title with pride because it has been hard. It took a lot of "blood, sweat, and tears" to get to the point that I hope to be in this summer. Also, when I am teaching my subject area (science), I want the middle school students to call me Dr. Maya5250 to initiate/continue a dialogue about college and graduate school. I am not going to correct students or anybody else if they don't call me by Dr. Maya5250. Will I have my co-workers and other people call me Dr. Maya5250? Probably not-depends on the environment.

32. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 23, 2010

All of my university teachers had doctorates, so it never occured to me to questions their titles: they were all called
    "Dr. ____." This was at a private university in Texas and a state university in CA.

The university teachers I've had in Alaska are also PhD.s, all have the title "Dr. ____," but it is a more casual atmosphere, they treat me as a peer, and most of them ask to be called by their first names.

Maybe it is a cultural thing. I also call my M.D.s by their first names.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2010

It is definitely a well-deserved honour and the title should be used with pride. As with anything, however, it's all about the approach. I overheard a former principal on the phone with a parent, "There is no Mrs. Principal here. If you would like to leave your name and phone number with the secretary, Dr. Principal will call you back." Definitely not the way to garner respect from anyone.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2010

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I once had to call a parent to let him know that his son was failing Precalculus and might not graduate.

The phone call began with "Hi, Mr. Smith, this is Mrs. Aliceacc from....."

But I was interrupted: "It's JUDGE Smith."

"I'lm so sorry, JUDGE SMITH. Your son is in jeopardy of failing out of high school."

:p

35. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jan 23, 2010

that reminds me of this...

Sen. Boxer: "Call Me Senator"

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2010

Too funny!

But it made my phone call SO MUCH EASIER to make!!

37. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 23, 2010

My ex-husband claimed he had his doctorate in music and threw the Dr. title around everywhere. It was a big deal, and he would correct people who didn't address him as such. Then it turned out he lied and never actually received his doctorate. So now, I make a big deal out of people who do have one because it infuriates me that he faked it (and still is faking it).

38. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2010

"Dr." is an important distinction in the field of education. We go to teachers in order to gain knowledge in a particular field. When I see that a person has earned a doctorate, I know they have studied the subject intensively. I like to know whether or not my instructors have PhDs.

And, as educators, part of the job is to inspire. Addressing a teacher as Dr., shows the students that a higher education is a noble pursuit.

39. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2010

I guess I've never thought of it as an issue for people. To me, "Dr." has never been just for the medical field. I think I've known more who were not medical-related. Maybe. Not sure. But I've known enough doctors that are scientists and educators that it would never occur to me to think of it as pretentious.

40. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2010

Alice,
    You should have come back with, "Sorry Judge Smith, but your son is guilty of not doing his work!"
    Rebel1

41. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 25, 2010

Good one!! :woot: