Downtime

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 10, 2019

With all the focus on bell-to-bell learning, and with that contradicting with need for "mindfulness" in the classroom, where do you stand on having "downtime" during class?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 10, 2019

They claim mindfulness is down time, but I don't buy it. If I have to "practice" it, isn't my idea of relaxation. Before anyone responds that I'm not "doing" it right, let's just agree to disagree. It makes me grit my teeth and clinch my jaw. I'm sure I'm not doing it right - it rubs me the wrong way.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2019

I would love to have more downtime in my class. I think it would be helpful to build relationships.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 10, 2019

I'm all for giving kids brain breaks and sometimes that translates to down time. But I see way too much of it at my school. Down time that occurs every day ten minutes before the bell. Or every Friday with 30 minutes left of class.

Today I pushed my kids hard. Difficult material and I kept them moving constantly. We got to a good stopping point with six minutes left in class. I could have continued but we were tired and I didn't want to risk losing them. So I applauded them for their behavior on Friday with a guest speaker and pretended that six minutes of down time was their reward.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2019

Downtime can be incorporated in ways that doesn't pull away from instructional time. We start every day with 15-30 minutes of reading. Very very academic time, but very much a calm, downtime for them. They'll steal a few minutes here and there to read. Sometimes we'll stop and just have a meaningful discussion around a topic that was brought up, or make personal connections to learning that just took place. Learning is still happening throughout all of that, it just takes a different form.

Even our class game, "Oops!", is essentially learning taking place - as it acts as an analogy to our everyday work, and really keys in on certain life skills.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 10, 2019

Down time is not free time.

Middle school kids can not handle free time. We can schedule in some down time here and there, but not anything that’s every class period or every day. It needs to relate to what we are doing. We have too much to do to waste time.