Downs syndrome

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Coriannder, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Coriannder

Coriannder Guest

Sep 10, 2002

Help! I am a new regular ed teacher who has a downs syndrome child in my classroom. He is having a difficult transition to first grade and I would like to help him. His behavior is causing problems for the whole class. He is refusing to work, he is loud and disruptive, and he is hurting other children. We are trying different behavior plans but nothing seems to be working so far. I would welcome any ideas for behavior and to get him to do some work.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2002
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 10, 2002

Hi, i'm a first grade teacher and what i do is i give each child a bag plastic (sandwich bag) and i post them on a wall or bulletin board and i give them pennies as the day goes by. if they behave i give a penny or two depends you start out with low count and also if they turn in their homework or if they come to school that counts and i give a penny or two visversa if they misbehave i take away pennies and i take away more than what i give or if they don't complete their homework or whatever you make the call. at the end of the week i open up a little store inside my classroom and i sell pencils, stickers, candies, toys from garage sales etc... anything cheap but that will get their eyes. at the same time you teach the value of money and wordproblems in math well that my discipline behavior and it works for me and maybe you already tried this.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 18, 2002

Hi,

I am a teacher of children with autism. Although the disabilities are different, some of the strategies are the same. The first and probably most important (in my mind) is a schedule. This student will probably benefit from a picture schedule. This enables him to know what is coming next and will reduce some of his anxiety.
    Next he needs a good motivator. Does he like the computer? Music? Food? At that age, it is probaly food. Try to take a picture and let him know that if he makes all "good choices" (list the choices: no hitting, screaming) he can have his reward.
    Currently, I have a student who makes very loud, disruptive noises. These noises were making everyone crazy. I put him on a strict program (interval reinforcement) where he earns a pretzel every 5 minutes (if he does not make the noises). His paraprofessional sits with him all day, using the timer. Eventually we will make the pretzel pieces smaller until they are completly faded out. If the child does engage in the loud noises he gets an X on the board. After 3 Xs he will not get his reward for that period. It may be a bit extreme for your situation, but it is working really well with my student.
    Also, do your other students know about children with Down's? It is important that someone (maybe from the child study team) talk to them. They need to know different ways to socialize with this student.
    If I can think of anything else, I will let you know.

Good Luck! Don't worry, it will get better.

~Shea

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 19, 2002

Having a 23 year old brother with Downs and teaching other students with Downs, they all have STUBBORNESS in common. They don't listen to you, they do their own thing. I had one today that insisted on throwing his cup away and I was saying, NO DAN, DON'T THROW IT AWAY, WE NEED TO SAVE IT... and SAYING IT AND SAYING IT AND SAYING all the while making my way to him trying to get the cup before he gets it in the trash... I was too late.

My brother has major stubborn spells and no matter what mom and dad have tried, if he doesn't want to do it NO BRIBING, BEGGING, PLEADING, DEMANDING, ASKING, etc., Nothing worked.

My mom is ** aide in the elementary TMR class where most of the Downs children end up in our rural school system. They are all stubborn and do their own thing. One has a smart mouth on him and will not shut up. You just have to ignore him.

I have yet to crack the code on how to make a stubborn Downs child do what you ask them to do. I have better luck with my autistic students and those with other behavior problems.

GOOD LUCK!
    Lori