down to the wire - last minute hiring

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ambritlit, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I just wanted to encourage all of you -- Someone I know applied for a teaching position in the spring but didn't get an interview. They called her last week and said the person they hired backed out, and now they are scrambling to get someone in place. She went in and interviewed the next day.

Don't give up!

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

Thanks--I really needed to hear that!!

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

I want something so bad. I am on the verge of giving up but I am just going day by day.
    Thanks

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

Me too Ms Bee--
    Monday was a good day, my Edward Jones advisor told me he gave my info to his MIL who is an exP who would personally pass it on to the new P. That was Monday.
    Tuesday--I was very discouraged and started wondering if it's even worth it to keep checking job postings and emailing resumes etc.
    Wed--back at the old grind--I think I sent 7 resumes/emails out today.
    I hate giving up, but I don't think it is far off. I will eventually resgin myself to the fact that I just have to do the clinical teaching and not get paid for 12wks--I know it will be very good for me, but I'm still disappointed in not getting a job.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

Don't give up! I know several teachers who didn't get calls until a week or so before school started and even AFTER school starts.

7. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

Thanks STG.

8. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

I would LOVE for that to happen as well. Just get a job!!!

But I am relocating and that would be hard to move and get settled and find a place and fix my room.
    But hey..bring it on.

9. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 29, 2009

Look at me, I posted that I was done, giving up and just done. Yet I still kept checking postings and such. But, out of the blue today, I got two calls from the district i live in for 2 different interviews! I didn't specifically apply to either position, just a few that had come up a week or so ago. So they found me in their system. I have applied to this district so many times and never one call. Now I have two interviews! I guess it may work out after all for us!

10. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

Thats good to hear.

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

My county was still hiring as of this week and school begins Monday!

12. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

Time is about to run out. Most places have filled the positions they needed and are not hiring anymore. I just called the school district I went to as a kid and even subbed in this past school year and told the person my case and she said there were no more positions to be filled. The school district is really large with 35 elementary schools, 8 middle schools, and 5 high schools.

I even went by and dropped off a resume at a middle school in another school district too. (Dressed up in a dress shirt, black pants, and black shoes just to leave them with an impression on me).

Not to be a downer, but for those like me who are still waiting, don't get your hopes up. Substituting or doing an internship might be the only way to go.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2009

Ms. Bee- They are still hiring in Texas.... And I promised you a great lunch if you get a job down south!:)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

In NY, most schools don't reopen for at least another month. There's LOT of time between now and Labor Day!!!

15. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

They hired a teacher in my school last year on the first day of teacher in-service. Her interview was at 7:00 and at 7:30 they called her and asked her to be at in-service at 8:00. Also, I know of another school a few years ago who ended up adding a class about two weeks into the school year because the numbers got too high. Don't give up just yet!

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 29, 2009

The 4th grade teacher down the hall from me was hired 2 days before school started last year!

17. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

I hope I can be one of those lucky stories!!

SCTEACH--your hilarious...but I know your dead serious!! lol

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2009

power of positive thinking MsBee - "I will be one of those lucky stories because I did all the hard work to get this job"

19. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 29, 2009

YES!!!

20. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

In my district, they post jobs online and have a closing date. After the job closes, they then go on to interview for the position. I have applied to everything I can. I even went by a school where I talked directly with the principal [he's the one who told me about this closing date stuff]. He asked for my resume just so he'd have my name on his mind when he's looking through all the apply-ees.

So yes! There is a god chance of something popping up for me!

21. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 30, 2009

Wow! I have applied everyone so hopefully that will be a chance for me!

22. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

I was thinking of going back through all the on-line applications that I did for the past months and re-upping them. Ya never know.

23. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

It's really all we can do at this point. ^^

24. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

I know that AFTER school started I got a few interviews for districts that needed more assistants (due to higher numbers than they had planned on).

If you don't hear from anyone by October 1st (yes, i know that's late), I would say that without a Leave of Absense position...that you aren't getting hired.

(TRYING to put a good spin on it.)

But if there is anything positive to say... the field is narrowing down. Some have been hired, some have given up.

Go out and be the best of the rest!!!

25. jellybeans

jellybeans New Member

Jul 30, 2009

Don't Give Up Yet!

Hi all! I read these boards constantly, but hardly ever post. Anyway, I saw this thread and just wanted to tell everyone who is still looking for a job to not give up hope. I started my first position two years ago and wasn't hired until the middle of October.

The summer after I got my certification, I only had three interviews. The first was at a school I really wanted but didn't get, the second was at a school I didn't want and was relieved to not get, and the last was at the school I eventually wound up at, and am still at. I was called for the interview with the school I am currently at a week before school started for a possible opening because they thought one of their teachers might be leaving. She ended up staying so I didn't get the position, BUT after school had already started, they got permission to hire another teacher and they chose me! I got the call at the beginning of October and started a few weeks later.

I know my story probably isn't that typical, but I wanted to let everyone know that it IS possible and that just because things don't happen according to the time line we think they should, doesn't mean they won't. My advice would be to have faith that things WILL happen exactly the way they are supposed to, when they are supposed to. Keep applying and staying positive because you never know what the future will bring. And finally, as hard as it is not to, don't let your job search consume your whole life. Focus on other things, appreciate other things, be grateful for other things, and know that you are exactly where you are supposed to be, even if it doesn't feel like it.

Good luck!

26. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

Great advice!!
    Thank you!

27. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

ah you can never give up!

I did not get a position till November --mid -november at that

I hate to say there is always HOPE. . .

Now here I am again and I'm not giving up I have different plans

28. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 2, 2009

That is what I do every couple of weeks in hopes that it keeps it more active...if that's possible.

29. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I think that really it's never too late. When I was student teaching one of the reading teachers had just gotten hired at the end of November. It is rare for that to happen but you never know.

30. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 2, 2009

I know its a long shot, but my child's teacher from last year was hired in December to start in January. a teacher got married and moved away, so a spot opened up mid year.