Down to the wire!! District offices or Principals???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kpteacher, Aug 18, 2009.

1. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

ok, so we are down to the wire with school starting. Generally around here you apply through the district office and there are some school websites that say do not contact the principal.

What do you do?

I am trying to figure out as many ways to contact people as possible for the last minute positions.

3. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

If those websites say don't contact the P, then I wouldn't. For those that don't have anything on them, contact away! Good luck!

4. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

Our county website for employment says not to contact P's or Administrative offices. I think it's just a general remark to limit the # of applicants bugging the districts. However.....every interview I have received is because I had emailed both the P's and HR for each district. The market is too flooded for them to notice you without you putting yourself in front of them. Now I just need a job to follow one of these interviews. :)

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2009

Yea. They say the same thing here. Do it anyhow. Everyone here does it anyhow and ALSO call the district office and ask for an interview from them. Keep calling and calling and dropping off those resumes. You can either do it or letter Ms. DareToDrop get there before you do. Make your own destiny. Start tomorrow if you have not been doing this...:)

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

Good point, SCT. Never thought about it that way! :)

7. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

I wouldn't contact the principals at this point. The only thing you have is an application on every school district website out there. That's about all you can do at this point. Principals have the numbers in and majority of them already have their staff for the school year. I've talked to two people that work in two different school districts and they've done just about all the teacher hiring they will do for this year.

Sorry to say but it's time to hang up the job hunting hat and either substitute, student teach, be a teacher's aide, go back to school to learn something else, or find something else for a job.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2009

Met a girl today from a sister school that was hired yesterday. She went on an interview, left and two hours later... welcome to our school district. We have had more kids than they expected to enroll in our district. I am seeing it all over. Don't hang up that hat JUST yet.:rolleyes:

9. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

I wish I had your positive attitude. It would certainly make me a better person.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

I got an email yesterday about interviewing with a district that JUST posted a job in my field. So, you never know.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2009

LOL. My daughters are always giving me a hard time for being such an insanely optimistic, happy person.:p But honestly, what good does it do to drag yourself into a depression? Nothing ever gets better or solved if you can't even drag yourself out of bed. You make yourself get up, and put on a smile. Even if you don't feel like smiling, MAKE yourself smile. Then, your brain picks up on the fact that you are smiling and sends little endorphins that makes you think that you really ARE happy. Before you know it, you are feeling better. You smile at a person and they smile back. You come in frowning, they think, "What is her deal?" If you come in laughing, they think, "I want to hang with her." Life really is what you make it. Like I said, in an earlier post...

If you end up having to dig ditches... you smile and say, "I get to work outside and get a tan while I am doing it!"

If you end up as a Walmart greeter... you smile and say, "I get benefits and get to meet interesting people."

If you end up working at the mall in the Verizon store... you smile and say, "I make my own hours and I get unlimited texting!"

Whatever we do in life, we have to make the most of it until we get that lucky break. I have always believed and I mean really believed, that if you dream it - you can achieve it. It isn't just a saying that we tell our kids to motivate them. It is the mantra that I live by. I may have to work twice as hard, and twice as long as the person sitting next to me... but ONE DAY I will have my dream. Now, go out you guys and get yours!:):):)

And BTW- I have bad days too. I just try to push through them and find yet another silver lining. Feeling depressed? Go for a LONG walk. It really does work!:rolleyes:

12. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

I usually go for a 7 or 8 mile run. I don't think too many people on this forum do that sort of thing.......

13. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

I directly contacted an Admin. on Friday and had and interview set up 1/2 hour later. So it can happen...now I need prayers from everyone that I hear good news.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2009

jw, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 19, 2009

Fingers crossed for you! It is time!:)

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 19, 2009

That is great! You must be in good shape. For some reason I cannot hit my stride with running. I walk super fast though and most people have trouble keeping up. My slow walk is faster than the norm of most people. :)

17. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

Yes it would.

18. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

I contacted some rather large school districts today in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and sadly all have pretty much hired all the people they need for the year or they have a hiring freeze. Oh well, there's student teaching for 12 weeks for free.

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 19, 2009

You can student teach, substitute teach, or maybe get lucky and find an LTS position.
    Keep trying... Garland, Plano, Northwest, Coppell, Little Elm, and Lewisville. These seem to be the fastest growing areas. I would also try the Dallas ISD and Irving ISD. It ain't over till its over!:)

20. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

Checked on all of those. Called Ft Worth and they're on a hiring freeze. Garland doesn't have anything else in my range, Coppell is not hiring, Plano has a few positions for odd jobs, Northwest hired all of their people after I applied with them back in early July, etc.

It's just a really bad doom and gloom year for the job market.

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 19, 2009

If I hear of anything in my district I will let you know. All is not lost yet. Many schools are getting record numbers of students enrolling. Wishing you good luck. Sounds like it is time for a run... :hugs: At least you have some options for your future like student teaching.:rolleyes:

22. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 19, 2009

Ha! I ran 7 miles late this morning at the gym while listening to music from various 80's bands.

23. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 23, 2009

My thought is another year that I can get to my son's classroom parties, field trips, etc.

No matter that we are almost unable to pay for that school and all those fun things. I'm planning to sub at 3 districts this year, plus his school. I'm also going to look into the A&M Commerce program and see if there's some way to switch and combine it with their library program. I feel like I've wasted a year on the library deal, because I could have been in that program for the past year, just lacked the education experience. I would have been able to apply for a few of the children/youth library positions that have come up in the past year. Good luck with your searches.

24. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

As a principal, I can tell you that contacting us through email or phone is the wrong thing to do. We are busy, busy, busy and the excess emails/calls just take more time from us.

With that being said, show up at the school. That goes a lot further. It is easier for me to quickly say hello and be impressed that someone took the time to walk in and ask to be introduced.

Also, make sure you then get on their sub list and sub at that school (or those schools). I can also tell you that I have an excellent long term sub working for my school right now. She goes above and beyond the call of duty. If we are hiring next year, I won't look much further than her because.....knowing she is good makes my job much easier and one more thing I can cross off my list.

So....get in there and get known.

TiffanyL

25. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

Thank you so much Tiffany for your valuable advice!

26. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Aug 23, 2009

Also, make sure you then get on their sub list and sub at that school (or those schools). .

So....get in there and get known.

TiffanyL[/QUOTE]

Hi Tiffany, it's great to get the point of view from a principal. Sometimes I wish I could be on an interview team to see what makes a good impression (or not!)

Are you in California? The district I live in (Orange Unified) isn't even hiring subs, but I'd love to get my foot in the door where my girls will be going to school (next year). Can individual schools hire long term or permanent subs?

27. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

No problem.

Principals want the best of the best and that does not always mean experienced. We sometimes fear that the experienced teachers are too set in their ways. So, we look for the best (whether that be new or seasoned). There are pros and cons to both.

Hiring season is no fun for us because it is time consuming. Any time a sub walks through the door, we are looking to see if they would be a good fit. Some are automatically "no". But those others, who seem to work so hard, manage the classroom well, have a positive attitude, etc. The ones who seem like they were born to be a teacher....we automatically start thinking about them for the next year or the next opening.

Why would we spend excess amount of time recruiting, interviewing, etc., when there is someone right at our own site who was able to give us a glimpse to what kind of teacher/employee they will be?

So, when you are subbing make sure you work on managing the classroom well. Make sure you are independent rather than needy. Make sure you are a smart-thinker and communicate well with the other teachers. Remember that these teachers always tell the principal about the subs they like. Because teachers too are worried about who they may eventually be working with. So, impress those teachers.

If you do that, what principal wouldn't want to seal the deal by just hiring you rather than looking elsewhere? Being a sub is your most ideal time to make an impression.

Make sure you focus on a couple of choice schools so you don't spread yourself too thin. Then, make sure you shine and all of the other applicants will not stand a chance.

28. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

Did you not feel great afterwards??? It is a great stress reliever!:)

29. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

Hi,

In my district, principals are able to request long-term subs, etc. However, you must be on the sub list initially. If your district is not even hiring subs, that may pose a problem for you.

Tiffany

Hi Tiffany, it's great to get the point of view from a principal. Sometimes I wish I could be on an interview team to see what makes a good impression (or not!)

Are you in California? The district I live in (Orange Unified) isn't even hiring subs, but I'd love to get my foot in the door where my girls will be going to school (next year). Can individual schools hire long term or permanent subs?[/QUOTE]