Down about my scores

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, May 21, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 21, 2011

I've been having a pity party for myself since I got my state test results back Thursday.

I was given a tough class, with 7 ESL kids. Only 2 of them qualified for read-aloud, when really I think 5 of them really needed it.

Only one of my ESL kids passed the reading test, and the one that passed was retained last year :(

I'm also bummed because 3 of my kids (not ESL) that failed were only with me a a month or less. I don't think their scores will "count against me" but I still feel like a failure.

In my 3 years teaching, I've had one child retained, at my suggestion. This year I will have 3!!!! :huh: One student was with me all year and has a low D average in math and reading, while the other two came to me the end of march and the other mid-April. I feel like such a failure :(

3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 21, 2011

I wonder if Doctors make posts like this when they have a year where several patients contract diseases?

We teach. They learn. Someone tests. Scores come.

They reflect what a student was able to express on a given day. Ever have a picture that wasn't so flattering? Sometimes tests can be like that. Unfortunately, in my view, we have come to see tests as a complete measure of what WE did as teachers rather than what the STUDENT did on one day of 180 days.

Have your party, but you'll get no pity from me. You are a very good teacher from what I've read in your posts. Imagine how poorly those students would have done without your intervention!:hugs:

4. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

May 21, 2011

I agree with Joyful!!!

Do what we do with assessments. Consider all the teaching and assessment you did with of each of those particular students. What worked? What would you do differently? What can you take away from this that makes you a better teacher next year? Make a plan to implement those changes and move on. Self-assessment is never ending for a teacher!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 21, 2011

I agree! Self-assessment is never ending for a teacher!

The two students who started with you at the end of the year, they probably should be retained as they have not had a year's worth of instruction, especially if English is their second language.

I always love to look at more than a year's worth of scores. How does the not meets, meets, and exceed scores compare to the year before or even before that? Are more students in your class meeting because of you? I bet they are!

I wonder how do you have 6 kids that didn't pass but only 3 being retained?

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 21, 2011

I hate that P's hold scores as a measuring stick for good teaching. At some point someone needs to wake up and realize that teaching is fluid. Scores only tell part of the story.

7. janney

janney Cohort

May 21, 2011

I also had a low group of kids last year, I really had to get myself to look at the growth that they made over the year and not so much on the test scores. It's easier said than done when scores are the only things that people outside of my classroom see.