Doors close, and window opens

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by womby, Aug 2, 2010.

1. womby

womby Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

A few weeks ago I posted about an interview that went well, and though I wasn't chosen for the position, the principal offered to make calls for me, if I were to apply elsewhere, to put in a good word for me. Since then I've only found three jobs to apply to and I only was able to get to him about two of them. He had some connection to both schools, so I thought that would give me a leg up. For the third, I wasn't able to get in touch with him, and thought the job was a long shot anyways.

As of today, I've found out that the positions at the first two have been filled (so disappointed that I didn't even get called for an interview) but I did get a call for an interview next Monday for the third. Maybe having him call was a negative. I don't know what to think.

Anyways, the job I'm interviewing for is at an alternative school. Students there have not been able to find success at their school, have absence issues, struggle with behavior problems. The teachers do a lot of interdisciplinary lessons, plan lessons that connect with the community and work to introduce the kids to careers. It sounds very challenging, but also very rewarding.

I wish the interview was today, I'm so ready to find the job that will be mine, and (I hope this doesn't sound conceited) I enjoy the chance to explain what I can/will do in the classroom and talk about my teaching experiences. Reviewing past successes does a lot to help during those times when disappointment rules the day. Fingers crossed!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

Good luck!

4. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

Good luck!

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 2, 2010

Oh!!! Congrats! Good luck! Yay! Sounds great! wow!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

That sounds like a wonderful job--good luck!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2010

Good luck!

8. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Aug 2, 2010

Good luck!! When is the interview?! The job does sound very rewarding!!

9. womby

womby Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

The interview is Monday the 9th. Thinking about it has taken up all my waking hours since I got the call to schedule it. I know it will be hard, but I keep telling myself, that even though these kids had trouble elsewhere, this school is a new beginning. Even with a class full of (other school's) behavior/absentee/emotional problems, they haven't been problems in my classroom, and I want to work with them to make them successful. After all, I'm still teaching MY content area and have been successful teaching it in regular public schools that have had kids with behavior/absentee/emotional problems.

The way I look at it, is sure, I might have fires to put out in my classroom from time to time, but my goal is to make sure that I am getting the students to help me with the hose, meaning that it will be a group effort. We're all in it together, and their success is my success. I think I'm ready not only for the interview, but to take the job. I guess I just had to hear(read) myself say it.

10. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 3, 2010

From my experience, alternative programs like the one you describe can have two different philosophies attached to them: Either they are meant to be a place for studnets to move in to and stay in or they are meant to be a place for students to go for a short amount of time and learn the skills necessary for them to be reintegrated back in to the schools they came from. Before going in to the interview I would suggest finding out which philosophy this school leans more towards. If a student is placed in the school is he/she placed there with the intention of graduating from the school? If so then you will be focusing on an alternative delivery of the curriculum while you are teaching. If the intention is for the student to stay for a shorter period of time (a few months or a couple of years) and then go back to their regular school, a portion of your focus is going to be on teaching skills like emtoinal management, social interactions, study skills...etc. and you need to ensure that teaching methods more closely mirror those that the student will be going back to.

You may already know what the school/division believes in but in case you don't I wanted to throw that out as it would make a difference in prepping for this type of interview.

Good luck with the interview.

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

Wow! Let them know that in the interview and they would have to be insane not to hire you! Good luck! What a great attitude! I sure needed to read your post today after getting my own bad news today. Thanks! Just trying to keep my head up- I know there is something out there for us! Good luck- keep us posted! I cannot wait to hear your good news! Make sure you do something fun one day this weekend- don't spend all your time on interview prep etc. Enjoy have fun!

12. womby

womby Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

Had my interview today for the alternative school position. I met with a panel of teachers/administrators (5 in all). Majority of time was spent on my experiences at previous jobs with small class sizes (as this program will be that way, about 50 or so kids, split through grades 7-12) and experiences I've had with co-curricular teaching as these students work best for one when they work for all. I thought that was a neat way to put it.

They were also impressed with experiences I've had "reaching" at risk kids, but I told them that really, I don't consider any group of kids any more at risk than others, that the biggest risk to any group of students today is apathy, and just checking out and remaining in their own little bubble, so one of my most important jobs as a teacher (they call the position instructor-which I love, it allows me to focus on directing their learning, not puffing my chest out and saying I'M YOUR TEACHER, YOU WILL LEARN BECAUSE OF ME) is making sure that I work hard to bring them inside my bubble or comfortable with letting me inside theirs, and then we can all enjoy success.

A decision will be made by the end of the week, and I will hear either way by Thurs or Fri. They only interviewed 6, and will not do second interviews. I was told that the panel will sit around the table, each will put in their 2 cents and they will make the decision together based on the initial (and only) interview.

Now the waiting begins...

13. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Aug 9, 2010

Good luck!! Sending positive vibes your way! :)

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2010

My fingers are crossed for you!

15. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 9, 2010

Good luck and best wishes! I hope this is the one for you! You sound excited about it! Good luck! Keep us posted!

16. womby

womby Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

Arghh! Since I was told that I wouldn't hear anything until Thursday or Friday I took the kids to the town pool this afternoon (I was planning on spending all of tomorrow by the phone), and while I was out the Principal of the alternative school called. She gave her name, who she was calling for (me, of course), asked me to return her phone call, and gave her number Of course it was late when I got home and got the message, but I tried calling anyway, only to get her voice mail. So I left my name and number and asked her to return my call when she gets in. Now I have to wait until tomorrow morning. I can't stand the waiting. So, what do you guys think. Would she have just left a "we chose another candidate" message if I didn't get it? Or would she really ask me to call back, so she could tell me "we chose another candidate" Do you think this is a good sign, or a bad sign? Just trying to get your take on it. Either way, I'll know tomorrow. I'll let you know, when I know.

17. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 11, 2010

I think if you did not get it- she would have left that info in the voicemail. That is what happened for me anyhow- got that rotten call yesterday. But it was a good thing- it was honestly not a good fit.
    Good luck! Sounds good! Cannot wait to hear your news! Good luck!

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2010

I don't know...I've had a few principals leave voicemails for me to call them back and then when I called back it was to tell me that I didn't get the job. I hope that that isn't the case for you, though, and that you get some good news tomorrow!

19. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Hoping you get some good news today!!

20. womby

womby Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Unfortunately I did not get good news today. Another candidate was chosen. Back to the drawing board.

21. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Sorry Womby :/ I know the right position is out there for you! Take some time to relax and then get back out there!

22. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

Drats! Well, keep trying! Keep your head high and get back out there!
    We will land jobs together! What is your plan for the rest of the week?

I was at a seminar for job hunting yesterday and well the presenter advocated a creative resume/CL. So in a way, against my better judgment, I will be doing just that! I am creating it today and getting it out there tomorrow! Hopefully I will be hand delivering it to preschools tomorrow. For all those for the creative CL/Resume there are about a dozen against it! yet, who knows perhaps one that I deliver will hit one of the few advocates of a creative one! Hopefully! Anyhow, I am not sold on it- so I will just try it out with preschools for now. I feel like I could get away with it there more so than if I were applying at public schools for a 1st or 2nd. I might be able to get away with it for K, but I am not sure I will try! I may try it for catholic schools, too, but still not sure.

So- what is your plan of attack? Do you want to try to work together? We can encourage each other and just keep each other posted and share ideas or input! Good luck!

23. womby

womby Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Well, the first thing I did was go online and apply for another teaching job. I am so frustrated right now. I really thought that this was the one and after so many close calls. As much as it would sting, I wish every rejection came with a list of "here's what we liked and didn't like about you". That way you could continue to do the good, and try to work on the bad. It certainly doesn't help it feel any better when all you get is some version of "...but you were right up there" School here in NY doesn't start until after Labor Day, so there is time left. Maybe, just maybe...Thanks for all the support, I'll be there to pass it on when I can too. Good luck to everyone who is still looking, we're all in it together.

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

I'm sorry, womby. And advice after interviews would definitely be very helpful. Where in NY are you? I live in CNY, but am basically applying all throughout Upstate NY. Good luck with your search!

25. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Maybe we should start a new thread for all the NYers that seem to be on here and struggling!

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

That sounds like a good idea, StarrShine!

27. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 12, 2010

Sorry to hear that Womby, don't you still have that maternity leave at the beginning of the year that you are doing. Perhaps that could turn into something more permanent or something can open up in that district...at least you have something

28. womby

womby Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

I would love for something to open up in that district. After subbing there last year, I've made some really good friends, and made some professional connections (the Superintendent is one of my references and biggest supporters.) I'm in Delaware County which is between Albany and Binghamton. I too, have been applying around upstate, and if something should come up, we (the family) is supportive of moving, but it's hard, as we've been here since we got married, and we own our home, and our daughter is just starting school and making friends. I really would like to know why I'm not getting interviews (I've sent LOTS of resumes) and not getting hired for the jobs that I did interview for. I wonder if it's because I have 10 years of experience,and schools want to save money and are hiring new graduates. You would think quality teachers would outweigh money, but I'm not in administration, so I don't know. Either way, my area (maybe NY in all) is NOT a great place to be looking. If there is anything that I can do for anyone, or answer any questions about interview questions or preparing for a new job, please let me know. As I said, I have 10 years of experience teaching Social Studies in grades 7-12 (both middle and high school) and feel I've answered EVERY interview question there is to ask. Fire away!

29. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

Upstate NY has been hard to get a job in, but the economic problems these last two years have made it even harder. A lot of the jobs they basically already know who they're going to hire before it's posted, but hopefully if something opens up at a school where you've already impressed them with your interview you'll be the next name on their list! Also, if you're looking up in CNY and need any information on districts feel free to ask.