Door Security Methods?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 3, 2012

As you may know, I'm in the process of moving into my apt & security is at the top of the priority list.

Which door security method would you choose? (There's videos showing how both work.) If anyone knows of any better ones, please post them here, thank you! :) I like how neither involves any tools/drilling.

Also, does anyone know what can be done once you leave the house? After all, my little dog is still going to be in there!

https://buddybardoorjammer.com/

http://www.addalock.com/add-a-lock/add-a-lock-video.html

3. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jun 3, 2012

I'm not familiar with either of those but I would suggest getting an alarm system put in. If you can't afford a built in alarm system, I would go with a company like frontpoint.com

We had frontpoint at our previous home. We liked it because it came with window and door sensors. All you had to do was place the small white boxes into the areas that you want monitored then you give them your email/phone number and they contact you right away if something happens. I also liked that I could check on my house while I was at work... my online account would tell me when my dogs entered and exited certain rooms. It's really a good investment for about 40 bucks a month.

*Disclaimer I am in no way affiliated with frontpoint. I just like their alarm system.*

:)

4. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jun 3, 2012

If you are on or near the ground level I second the window sensors. There are also window screens that are available through ADT which allows you to keep your windows open for ventilation.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 3, 2012

My dad bought me something like the door jammer. I used it when I lived on the ground floor.

It made my dad feel better that I had it.

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 4, 2012

I think this is your best and least expensive option for the door: Flip Lock

You can find them for under $2 in stores. One of these was installed on the door of my first apartment.

They're also good for keeping little kids safe inside! We added one to our front door once the kids could open doors/locks on their own.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 4, 2012

Amanda, I like the simplicity of it. I wish I could see someone trying to kick the door in w/ that item, so I could really see if it works.

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2012

Does your dog bark?

I have had Dogs.
    As long as the dog barks.
    I have never had a problem with break-ins, they hear the dog they move on.
    The best alarm for an apartment is a dog that makes nose when there are strangers at the door or coming in.
    [​IMG]

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 4, 2012

The review claims it is not meant to stop intruders.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 4, 2012

Dave, all this time, you had a Boston too?! No my dog isn't really a barker, he just looks at different people & dogs. There's been a time or two on this board when I've said that my dog is so friendly, he'll want to play with a stranger & jump on his/her lap!

ku_alum, yeah, I figured so.

My complex has an alarm system & deadbolts, which seem kind of flimsy to me. In my parents' home now, besides the deadbolt, they have a metal dowel in the groove of the sliding glass door, which I will also put in my apt window frame & sliding glass door. I live on the 2nd floor by the way, but hey, on the news not so long ago, someone got into a lady's apt unit who lived on the 26th floor. When I was a child living in L.A., we had a metal screen door, but no one has them out in my city.

I live in a pretty safe city. I don't want to live in fear, but I'm not naive to the point where I don't lock doors even in the daytime nor think nothing will ever happen nor do other precatutions. I know it's good to be alert & safe.

BTW, deadbolts & especially those chain locks don't do squat. Here's a video I found. Now the security item in this video looks really good, but I doubt my apt complex will allow all this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO_gI...eature=related

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2012

No but I had a friend with one and he didn't bark much

12. curlyone

curlyone Rookie

Jun 4, 2012

My security system consist of a barking dog, baseball bat in the front hall, and a handgun at my bedside. :whistle:

We also have a deadbolt on the front door and a wooden rod in the sliding glass door.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2012

This is my security system as well, except the bat is by the bed too.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 4, 2012

I have the Add a lock. No one has ever broken in (knock on wood), so I can't guarantee how well it works, but it's easy to use. I take it with me when I travel and use it on my hotel doors also.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2012

This thread reminds me of a scary dream I had a couple of weeks ago.

In my dream, my hubby and I were in our kitchen cooking dinner. There was a knock at our door (we live in an apartment). I went to answer it, but as I was opening the door, I had a bad feeling in my stomach and went to shut the door again. But as I was closing the door, all of a sudden the person on the other side pushed it open. Now, mind you, this all feels VERY REAL. So, this person comes in, looks me in the eye, pulls up his gun and shoots. That was when I woke up. Terrified me.

Do you have a peephole? We do and I plan to always use that for now on before opening the door for anyone. If I don't recognize the person, I will not answer the door.

16. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 5, 2012

Ms. I, I'm pretty sure I'm familiar with your area just judging by your posts, and honestly I wouldn't worry too much about extra door security. Unless you're in the depths of Santa Ana, it's very very safe. Just be aware of your surroundings and lock your doors when you're not home. :) Peachy's policy of not answering the door to strangers is a good idea too, including unexpected maintenance types.

17. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jun 5, 2012

Security in your home is a BIG deal here in Italy. We have metal shutters over all of the windows, and our front door is like ten feet tall and five inches thick. We only have about five deadbolts coming out of the door, but we have friends that had nine! You could always look for a door like that!

18. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 5, 2012

Yeah, the flip lock is not heavy duty. It was good for keeping the maintenance man from walking in on me though.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 5, 2012

Irishdave, yeah, Bostons aren't known to bark much.

ChristyF, that's good to know! I like the simplicity of that gadget & i like how you can use it when travelling at hotels.

Peachy, yes, I ahvea peephole & no, I don't plan on opening it to anyone & I don't have the type of friends who show up unannounced. BTW, that's a scary nightmare you had!

bison, I'm far from Santa Ana. That's in Orange County right? I'm about 40+ min away depending on exactly where in the county.

Amanda, I've stressed to the leasing agent that I don't want maintenance here without my presence, so an appt must be made. ONLY if it's an emergency can maintenance just come on in, I guess.

GoehringTeaches, when I was a child in L.A., we used to have a metal door with a whole bunch of tiny hole in it so you can see out.

20. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 5, 2012

Oh shoot, I didn't realize I had submitted that post! It was unfinished and I meant to add a few things about familiarizing yourself with any security and/or management in your complex in case they come to the door. Meeting your neighbors when you see them around is not a bad idea either.

As far as anyone entering your apartment, legally they are required to give you 24 hours notice unless there is something urgent, like a burst pipe or something.