Door Open? or Closed?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Feb 15, 2009.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2009

On the TV, they show everyone closing the door to the bedroom.

But does anyone really do that? We don't...we leave the bedroom doors open.

3. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

We leave our bedroom doors open. I did as a kid and I do the same with my kids. they are teens now and we still have our doors open.

4. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

I've always slept with my door closed. I moved in with my Gram when I was 15 and craved my privacy after spending 2 years sleeping on couches. Ever since then I've slept with the door closed. DF thought it was weird when we moved in together, but now he doesn't like to leave the door open either.

ETA: I'm sure that will change once we have kids though. I'm super paranoid and will be doing everything I can to be close to my babies! :)

5. Artteach42

Artteach42 Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

During the day they're open. at night, they're closed.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 15, 2009

We sleep with the door open because our doggy sleeps with us and he likes to get up in the middle of the night to get a toy to bring to bed. One time when we had guests in the guest room we closed our door and he spent all night trying to get out!!

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 15, 2009

I live alone so I sleep with it open. Growing up we always closed our doors.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

Our door is always open (unless my daughter has a friend sleeping over and then I close our bedroom door so that I don't hear them). My kids both sleep with their doors closed.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2009

As a child, the door was closed to block noise/light. When my mom went to bed, she'd open it. That pretty much lasted until I moved out (in the winter at least). My room was freezing and I'd freeze to death if no one opened the door. When I go home for Christmas, this still happens. Summer time, it stayed closed all night once I got to be 10/12 or so.
    I have lived completely alone for 5 years, so my door is never closed. The only time I close it is when family comes down because they all need noise from the TV to sleep. I need quiet. So, I close it.
    My mom actually asked me a few weeks ago if I close the door. I answered "No, why would I?" Their friend, who got divorced 5 or so years ago still closes his door even though he lives completely alone. She thinks its funny.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I may need to hear my kids during the night.

Our bedroom doors are open.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

This sounds like my son's room. When he's home from university now he goes to sleep with his door open and I close it when I get up in the morning so that he doesn't hear us up.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

I sleep with my door closed, well almost the cat likes to come in and out so it's cracked. I think I started closing it when my sister was born. I didn't want to hear her cry (I was 12.5 years old).

I have always heard it is better to have the door closed because if there is ever a fire it helps to contain the fire better and you can get out the window or what ever.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 15, 2009

When I was single living in my parents house I always kept it closed! I couldn't sleep if I heard any outside noise or there was any outside light. Now, it doesn't bother me too much.

I was engaged to this guy (about 100 years ago) and we would stay at his grandmother's house sometimes. I would get this spare bedroom almost in the attic. I was going to bed and went to go close the door. I realized that there WAS NO DOOR! I didn't notice it before but there were NO DOORS in the house except the bathroom door. It was very strange. The whole family was strange. I'm glad I didn't end up marrying him :lol:

14. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

I usually leave it open.

When I close it, my dog will open it (yes, he's figured out how to open it, even from the inside of the room where he has to pull it to open it)!

Maybe sometime I'll close the door and lock it to see what he does. He hasn't figured out how to unlock a door! :lol:

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

to funny Mr. D. What breed is your dog?

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 15, 2009

If you does learn to unlock it I think you're in big trouble! LOL

17. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

He's a black lab.

18. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Feb 15, 2009

We close ours...we have cats and my BF is allergic. His allergies are under control, but we don't want to risk having cat hair in our bed.

19. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2009

Our door stays open but our sons is closed to keep the cats out of his crib sot hat he can sleep. He'd also wake up every time we walk past if the door was open.

20. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

We sleep with them open at the moment. We are technically using our 'living room' as a bedroom while we wait to redo the second floor, they are french doors separating from our current living room. The kids (cat and dog) like to go in and out at night so we keep them open.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 15, 2009

I've ALWAYS slept w/ my bedroom door closed. It just feels better that way. The only time I'm in my bedroom is to sleep.

22. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2009

We have two cats who like to attack feet at 3:30 AM. So the door is closed.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2009

I leave mine open during the day and close it at night. Growing up my bedroom was off the kitchen, so the light was usually on until midnight and I hate light when I am sleeping.

24. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 15, 2009

When I was a teenager I closed my doors because the doors to the (3) bedrooms were all right next to each other. When I moved out, I had roommates and kept the doors closed there. When I got married my DH and I bought a house and we never close the door. One of the dogs gets up in the middle of the night to "patrol" the house and look out the patio doors and check for his nemesis - opossums ;)

25. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

The firemen that did a presentation said it's safer to close your door so the fire won't spread as quickly into your room.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I've always heard that as well.

But my safety is secondary to hearing my kids if, for some reason, they need help.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 15, 2009

Growing up my door was always closed, especially in my teen years. I went to a boarding school, so when I was home, privacy was paramount.

Now that I've had kids, I feel exactly as Alice does about hearing the kids should something happen in the middle of the night. One of my kids likes the door closed and the other two like it open. I personally don't care if they keep their doors open or closed. The only rule that I have is that they don't get locked.

28. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 15, 2009

We have it closed only because our neighbors dog barks all night long and it dims the noise a little.

If I am alone I need the door open. For some reason it makes me feel safer. That for some reason I can see the danger that it about to hit me maybe?

29. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Feb 15, 2009

Growing up our doors were open, when I got to about HS I started closing thedoor most of the way because the noise bugged me or I was staying up later than the others. In college I think my roommates and I closed our doors, but I honestly don't remember. My husband and I leave the door open unless family is visiting and then we close it because his parents (our most frequent guests) do not need to have open access to our conversations at night and his father gets up to walk many times throughout the night and he would walk right into our room if it was open.

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2009

Growing up our bedroom doors were closed at night, and it's the same way now. I specifically keep my daughter's door closed so I can hear if it opens (I am sooo paranoid about her being kidnaped or something). I would love to keep my door open so I can listen for any noises, but my husband has to have all light shut out so he can sleep. Even the light from the alarm clock (when we used one, but now I use my cell phone as an alarm) used to keep my hubby awake. He'd have to put something over the alarm, or turn it upside down to cover the light.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 15, 2009

When I still lived at home, I always slept with my door closed. We were on different hours, and I also liked to read after I went to bed and didn't want the light to bother anybody. I also liked my room cool, so I often opened the window in winter.

Since I married I leave the door open. DH and I are generally in bed around the same time or he goes before I do.

32. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 15, 2009

The doors are open during the day, but we all close our doors at night. When my son was little, I closed it, but not all the way, so I could hear him. I did the same to his door. Now that he is grown up, and comes in at all hours, I have retrained my brain to really sleep-I don't hear him coming or going!!!!:)

33. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2009

:lol:

34. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

Growing up my door was closed. Since I moved in with DH, our door has always been open.

35. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Feb 15, 2009

My doors are open during the day, but I close them at night when I go to sleep. Habit from living in the dorms.

36. goopp

goopp Devotee

Feb 15, 2009

I haven't read the entire thread, so if I'm repeating something already stated, I'm sorry.

When the firemen teach my students fire safety, they tell us that the safest way to sleep is with the bedroom door closed. That way, if there is a fire, you can feel the door and know if it is safe to escape that way. It takes longer for fire to get through the door, so you have a better chance of escaping if you sleep with the doors closed.

37. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 15, 2009

With young kids, we always slept with the doors cracked open. With teens, we all slept with the doors shut. Mainly because if there were a fire it is safer.

38. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

We sleep with the doors open. I, too, want to hear the kids if they need me--even though they are 22 and 17!!! However, the 22 year old closes his door--kind of bugs me, but he is old enough. Our room is on the other side of the house from their rooms, so I definitely need the door open to hear somebody get up if they are sick.

Yes, I have seen and heard the fire demonstrations, but I just can't help it. I also do not like the closed in feeling! :(

39. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 15, 2009

I've always slept with my bedroom door closed but my boyfriend loves having the door open. I've now gotten used to sleeping with it open and it doesn't really bug me.

40. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2009

Has to be shut- I too have a very cold room and should sleep with the door open to get more heat but I just cant!

also -especially at school because we all go to bed at different times and it would be wierd to have it open all night (plus the whole privacy thing- well as close to private as you can when you live with 5 other gals haha)

41. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 15, 2009

Growing up, my parents made sure we shut (and locked!) our doors for safety. If someone broke in, they could take our TV but not get to us.

As a parent, I keep my door open. My daughters, however, are now closing their door because they are afraid of the dark.