Door decoration - language arts for the holidays

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jsfowler, Dec 3, 2008.

1. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Dec 3, 2008

Help! We are having a door decorating contest. I want our door to not only represent the spirit of the season but also language arts...any suggestions? This is middle school.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2008

HOw about having kids write essays in the style of "Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus"????

4. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Dec 3, 2008

Have the students write a poem and draw an illustration of what christmas means to them. Or what they want for christmas, or their favorite gift etc.. Or just have them write any christmas poem or maybe a story. But for the wonderful world of color, do something visual. I don't know about you, but i just LOVE having student's artwork around the room.

5. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Dec 3, 2008

One year, I had students correct letters to Santa. They had a great time - used the dreaded "Red pen of doom" (not sure why it was a big deal with my class since I don't grade with red pens) and then we displayed the letters after they were corrected. The kids really had fun with it.

6. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Dec 4, 2008

You could divide the students into groups and have them research different holiday traditions (such the history of the Christmas tree?) or the way different cultures celebrate holidays. Display these writings on your door.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2008

Something about reading by the fire, and then having a fireplace with book cut outs of holiday books - Best pageant ever, A Christmas Carol, etc.

8. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Dec 4, 2008

I know there is a specific name for these...I can't recall it at the moment. Have the kids write holiday poems that take the shape of what the poem is about. I love the visual poetry! Maybe set up the background with that fake snow so it isn't over stimulating. I plan on doing these next week. I'm having my kids write their poems in the shape of a stocking and then I'm having a fireplace. It will say The stockings were hung by the chimney with care...

9. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 4, 2008

Concrete Poems;)