Don't you hate not getting recognized for doing a good job?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by penguinpc, Oct 27, 2013.

1. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Oct 27, 2013

I substitute in four districts. In one I work extensively, probably because I taught there years ago and know many people in the district. In two of them, I am slowly starting to get recognized. It's sometimes hard to get a sub job at a school in these districts, but once I do, I am generally called back.

That leads me to the fourth district I sub in. I really enjoyed the kids at one of the schools in this district last year. I subbed in 5th once and in 4th 3 or 4 times. Each time I know I did an excellent job. All of these jobs were picked up from Aesop, none were by request.

It just gripes me that they never call me and I don't even know if I am on their list. I'm sure that I should just forget about this school, but as I am on the lookout for a job, subbing in some of the other grades is desired.

Anyway, any school at which I've done an excellent job, more than once, and then doesn't ever call me back really kind of burns my butt.

However, I do get plenty of work, just venting. :D

3. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 28, 2013

They don't know you. You feel invisible. I know the feeling. Other teachers would stare at me when I was a sub like , what are you doing in our school? I had to do menial tasks such as waiting with a child until its parent showed up. I'd be spinning the child on the gym floor to keep her occupied, and the other teachers would be giving me weird looks.
    With time, you will be more appreciated, especially on Fridays when they are short. In the meantime, I would introduce yourself.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 28, 2013

I know, it's so hard having to watch it until it actually just goes home. Spinning it around the floor though-that's new! Adding to your repertoire?

5. microbe

microbe Comrade

Oct 29, 2013

Eh, I always thought it was inappropriate for the school/teacher to ask me to stay after my contracted time to wait with students. Someone needs to do it, sure, but as a sub I certainly wasn't paid for it. I technically could have simply left once my contracted time was over, and I probably should have since I think it's unethical to take advantage of subs like that. (I waited around 45+ minutes on several occasions at this one school that I stopped subbing at because they required extra duties. For example, I had one teacher manually put the time in two hours before school started on AESOP so I could do work for her in the copy room.)

I actually had one teacher ask me to stay after to clean off her poster boards in the hallway (and put new stuff up). I can't believe I actually stayed and did that. :( These teachers must have thought that I was making the big bucks subbing.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 30, 2013

I definitely know the feeling, but I'm also definitely not surprised. I've been subbing for the same district for a good 10 yrs (& also a few other districts briefly). Do you think the one I've been with for 10+ yrs ever acknowledged me? Heck no. I even did numerous long-term assignments.

We all had district emails & they can't even send a mass email to all the subs saying, "We appreciate you!" I know, that's impersonal, but I guess they can' make the time to even do that.

7. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Oct 30, 2013

In a way, I feel your pain. I tried for two years to obtain a full-time position at a school where I did several subbing stints, even a long-term sub. I had teachers requesting me! I always showed up early, stayed late to make sure everything in the classroom was taken care of, etc. Do you think they appreciated me and my willingness to work almost every time they needed me? Well, their lack of interest in my numerous job applications and resumes told me that they definitely didn't.

At first, I took it personally. But, I don't anymore. I just decided to stop subbing for that particular school district and chalk it up to "their loss."

The lack of appreciation for subs definitely sucks. :hugs:

8. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Oct 31, 2013

I've been trying for a year and a half to get a full-time teaching job. In the meantime I've been subbing, and sometimes I get a little bitter about it. Our district allows subs who are not certified teachers, so there are a lot of them floating around. Some are good, others are not.

My problem is, it seems like when it comes down to it, the administration just wants a warm body in the room. I've seen other subs show up 5 minutes after school has started, talking to others all through assembly and sitting mindlessly while students work. They still get called back. I try to go above and beyond. I come early and stay late. I correct papers if asked. I connect with the students. But how much does this extra effort really matter? Yes, I get called a lot and teachers request me, but sometimes they'll ask the poor sub just because she or he happens to be there at the time (we don't use any kind of automated system.)

And I wish subs were paid for years of experience, degree, etc. I've been subbing on and off in this district for 6 years and the pay for a day's work has never increased.

Bottom line. I don't feel appreciated. When you think about it, subs are vital to the school, yet we're just kind of "there." Kids don't think we're real teachers half the time and the other teachers think we're lucky when we have days off.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2013

Its parents? Sad.

Spinning...?:confused: speechless.

10. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Nov 6, 2013

I can feel your pain also. I sub for 3 school districts and a charter school. One district I worked as a teacher for 6 years and resigned for personal reasons. I have tried to get back into a position and I have subbed for them for 10 years. This district has a rating system for teachers to rate substitutes. I have been eliminated from the sub list, as I received 4 unsatisfactory letters in a 10 year period. They never look at the good ratings, only the negative ones. I am busy with the other districts a least and I am happy for that. Looking into a Administrative Assistant position also,

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 29, 2013

It is what it is. I worked for ten years in corporate human resources before getting my teaching credential and starting subbing. Basically I went from one thankless job to another, and I'm making a helluva lot less money now. But I'm thankful every day that I'm working with kids instead of working with employees who can't get along and managers who want me to conjure up job applicant with just the right combination of skills, ability, personality and age and looks to do fill a job opening.
    So...yeah...I'm not praised for doing a good job when I sub, but I'm not the person they avoid calling either.

12. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013

Appreciated? This sounds funny. Today, I was called for a co-teacher at 7:45 am, ES. However, her schedule did not start until 9am (she had some specialized work I could not do). Since they did not need help anywhere else including library, I was sent to the co-teachers office to wait until 9am. So, here I am sitting at her desk, waiting.
    Here they are, two teachers gossiping right in the front of me like I am a funiture or so.
    Teacher 1: "So, why would they call a sub at all if there is nothing to do for her, and she is just now sitting here, doing nothing? This is awful!"
    Teacher2:"Yeah, I wish there were a "no sub" button when you are filing for day off, but there is no one. So, we are kind of forced to get a sub."

13. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 16, 2013

I've had that happen before too. The first time it happened was actually my first day subbing. :lol:

Not all teachers will recognize that subs are people. Fewer will recognize that many are educators as well.

14. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 14, 2014

I have found that it is more important when the district office knows that you are good, not the school.
    our district gives us evaluation forms that we supposed to leave for those teachers to fill out. There are few checkboxes for your performance: excellent, good, poor, bad. Then the teacher fills it out and sends back to HR. The forms are kept in your file.
    Do that with every teacher, which you feel would leave a nice feedback. This way you would collect a number of positive reviews. Thus, if trouble comes, you would be backed up by those reviews.
    On my opinion, having written positive reeviews in your file is more valuable than just verbal recognition or sugary "thank you for being here".

15. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Feb 14, 2014

Unfortunately, that is not how these ratings are handled. The teachers fill out those forms and the substitute has no discussion at all as to why the teacher feels that whatever happened is unsatisfactory. You can speak to the principal, but nothing will change and this is put in your personnel file. Personnel doesn't care about any positive feedback only the negative. Very sad for teachers to do this to a great substitute.

16. Julie27

Julie27 Rookie

Feb 14, 2014

I had a teacher giving me "poor" for going through warm-up too fast (10 min), not working the students through class material deep enough and not adding my own "splash" to the lesson.
    My guess is that the students did not complete a thing due to being lazy, and then complained that they did not understand the whole thing, this is why.