Don't ya hate it when...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mrsammieb, Aug 12, 2010.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

you are thinking too much you can't sleep. Last night I had a snoring husband, my 5 year old climbed in bed with us taking all the room and most of my pillow, and of course my mind racing with the million things I want to do before school starts in my classroom!

The endless thought process!:dizzy:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

I've had at least my share of sleepless nights.

I've finallly developed a system.

I give myself one hour. If I'm still awake, I grab my pillow and head to the living room. I turn on the TV,ususally to either Nick at Night or HGTV. I find something I can listen to (The Nanny or The Golden Girls-- something I don't have to see to follow), turn the volume so low I almost have to strain to hear it, and I curl up under a blanket.

Most nights it works.

4. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

That was me two nights ago. I had finally fallen asleep around 5 am. Then a few hours later I was back in the classroom setting up. <sigh>

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 12, 2010

I haven't been to sleep before 3 a.m. in quite a few nights. It is so frustrating at this time of year when my mind will not shut off! "ugh:

6. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

I'm so exhausted I fall asleep easily enough, but if I should wake up in the middle of the night (to go to the bathroom, because hubby is snoring, or my son creeped into our bed)....forget it!! It's impossible to turn my mind off and get back to sleep. I definitely feel your pain!

7. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 12, 2010

No trouble getting to sleep but have been waking up at 3 or 4 and that does it. I toss and turn until I just give up and make coffee.

8. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

I had to make it a rule that once my eyes close I am not allowed to think anything school related. If I start thinking about school I'll be up for hours. There have been time where I have had to force my mind to think of other things (what am I going to buy at the grocery store? what will I get so and so for Christmas?...).

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

I try to think of a relaxing place. I actually had a cd that was of ocean sounds (don't know where it is now), but I remember on the back cover it said Think of the waves coming in & washing out, but bringing the sand out with it. I try to do that.

Most nights I'm like Alice I usually fall asleep to Golden Girls like she said I don't have to follow it!!! I think I know most of them by heart anyway!!! LOL!!!

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 13, 2010

Well I have two suggestions.

The first is totally natural. Melatonin is a natural compound our brains make to help us sleep. You can by it in pill form in most health food stores. It's TOTALLY natural and does work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

If you're more into something that will work FAST and QUICKLY, I'm not opposed to a dose of Simply Sleep - I know, I know, but once in awhile I do HALF the normal dose (1 pill, not 2) and I sleep like a baby. :)

11. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 15, 2010

This was happening to me at the beginning of school, but now that I have students, I am so tired that I am having trouble staying awake until a decent hour to go to bed. :lol::lol:

12. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

Try counting down backwards from 300 by threes... It takes enough concentrating that I don't think about anything else, but is repetitive enough to lull me to sleep!

300, 297, 294, 291...

13. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

Glad to know I'm not the only one! <sigh> Brain is on overload... and counting sheep is not cutting it.

14. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

What is wrong here? I've been working for the past month... nametags, calendars, bulletin boards, files, binding books, labels, organizing, another trip to Lakeshore Learning, cleaning, laminating....argh! How can there still be more to do? My to-do list is just as long as it was a month ago. :dizzy:

It's like when you think you'll get a jump on Christmas shopping in August. You think it will be done early, but you really just end up buying more stuff right up till December 24.

Glad to see you guys are all sleep deprived, also. Don't know why that makes me feel better, but it does. :haha:

15. dxj6482

dxj6482 Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

I also wake up thinking of things I need to do by grinding my teeth! My dentist is going to kill me!

16. ggmarois

ggmarois New Member

Aug 18, 2010

body scan

when I have difficulty sleeping, I usually do a Body Scan.

Cds are available but just google it you can do it without CD. It always shut off my racing mind.