Don't want to go back

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by spedhart, Aug 10, 2010.

1. spedhart

spedhart New Member

Aug 10, 2010

I am just totally dried up as a sped teacher. I have done ten years of it. I asked for a change last year, practically begged. No deal. Lots of other teachers changed positions, but I was told it was too hard to switch me into a different job. No other sped teachers to hire.

It's not like I can just quit and get another job. so what is a person to do? The system is killing me. Too many hours of meetings and complaints and behavior issues. No lunches. Extra recess duty. etc. etc. I'm paying the price. I just can not get excited this year to go back. Its more like dread. Anyone else in the same boat?

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 11, 2010

Are you looking to change to regular ed or just another type of special ed. That is unfortunate that they will not respect your need for a change :(.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2010

I have noticed that SPED teachers seem to get pigeon holed into our jobs more than gen ed teachers. It is much easier for them to change grade levels than for us to move to a different position. I once asked my P what she would do If I requested a change. She said she wouldn't let me because it would be so hard to replace me in the SPED job. My opinion is; I had to learn the job when I was a new SPED teacher, why can't someone else?

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

I think that the only way I will move out of what I am doing now is if I change schools. I don't mind, though, I love what I do!

6. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Everyone can feel burned out. Humans need change. Just remember that what seems new and exciting eventually leads to the same feelings.

Non-teachers think teachers go to work, all the kids fold their hands and listen. No take home work, no bad kids, no kids that just don't get it, admins etc.

I'm sure someone in gen ed envies you and your work. The challenges, you having this or that easier ( too much work for them to get another license ).

The same could be said for a job in the private sector, only the admins are your bosses demanding production, the kids are the adults you need to motivate.

Be happy, you're in a good place.

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

Maybe I'm off base here, but it sounds like your complaints are more building/admin-based than sped based. ?? In which case I would say keep an eye on the job postings in the spring and apply to a few different buildings - even age groups. If you teach secondary, try elementary, etc. Or if you have a self-contained class, try resource/inclusion. That way you're still teaching sped where there is a great need - but you're doing something different. Good luck.

8. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

Any chance you could transfer to a high school?

Have you thought about giving high school a chance? There isn't recess duty, and you would get a prep period every day. I don't know if you are mild/mod. or mod/severe. I teach mild/mod and I really like it because I only have three classes to prep. I think a lot of parents are less clingy in HS as well.

Just throwing it out there :hugs: